new to PowerBoost - how to drive it.

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
As long as you avoid certain options (4wd being a big one), you can reach an 1800 lb payload with a Powerboost. I have a Lariat Supercrew Powerboost 4x2 with an 1831 lb payload.
Keeping my fingers crossed.
King Ranch standard ; 2WD; PB; max Tow; 360 camera/assist; 7.2kw- no moonroof, bed utility, power RB, etc.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tripdaddy95

Tripdaddy95

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Avalanche Lariat SCrew PB BAP

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
Thanks for all the insights. I found this link going down the proverbial link rabbit hole.

https://trukbed.com/how-to-drive-a-hybrid/

Thanks @Trukbed

In the meantime I await my 2023 PB. Currently on chip\part hold 🤞
I read the 25 tips and some make sense, but a lot of them seem to be a real PIA to follow. I'm going to drive my powerboost like a normal F-150, if I wanted to hyper mile it I'd have bought a Prius. Though 24+ mpg would be wonderful, I'll live with 20-21 mpg if that is the price for driving the truck normally.

Last edited:

hussar1683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB (on order)
Thanks for all the insights. I found this link going down the proverbial link rabbit hole.

https://trukbed.com/how-to-drive-a-hybrid/

Thanks @Trukbed

In the meantime I await my 2023 PB. Currently on chip\part hold 🤞
Some of the info in the linked article may definitely help. I just don’t get how forcing it in to EV mode by tapping the brake suppose to help with anything? All it does is depleting the battery for something that requires almost no power/gas to begin with and not having electric assist due to empty battery for something that requires more power/gas.
To me this technique may yield decent mpg on a single short trip but not over a full tank of gas. Also, can somebody explain how less restrictive air filter suppose to help with mpg?

OP
OP
Tripdaddy95

Tripdaddy95

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Avalanche Lariat SCrew PB BAP
@hussar1683, @RossRR

My main reason to ask about driving the PowerBoost is that is not designed like a "normal" hybrid. For the record, I have no experience with a hybrid and have little to no experience driving a turbo or twin turbo engine. Since the Powerboost is designed to use both the ICE and battery for different reasons during a drive, I wanted to hear the experiences from actual owners.

While I will figure out what works for me along with the accepting the resulting MPG, hearing from regular drivers of the Powerboost will come in handy. As one would expect, the answers and suggestions are anywhere from 'drive it like you stole it' to hypermiling. Neither of which will be my driving style. I am no longer young or need to drive like I did with my '89 Mustang GT (miss that car) as a younger man. It will get typical suburban type use; commute, Home Depot runs, occasionally hauling stuff, random off-road adventures, and comfort when with family/friends or on long drives to see kids/grandkids. No to mention, the added bonus of a mobile generator with the 7.2Kw option.

Again I appreciate the input from the forum.

Last edited:

Sponsored

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2022 Maverick Lariat Lux
...how [is] forcing ... EV mode ... suppose to help...?

...explain how less restrictive air filter suppose to help with mpg?
I believe you're thinking right. The EV window is tight and the truck is H E A V Y. The motor seems to mostly just help the engine rather than replace and propel the truck. Mileage is gained by reducing engine load rather than replacing it. My Maverick is quite easy to keep in EV mode. It's much, much lighter. I can exceed 50+ mpg quite easily.

Aftermarket air filters are for high performance engines that live balls out. Stick with OEM paper elements. A clean OEM filter is dollars dollars dollars better than a K&N type filter.

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
@Tripdaddy95

Your driving habits sound like mine; only difference is that I sometimes pull a travel trailer.

I find that just using Normal Mode and driving normally yields the best results.

Just enjoy the ride!

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
@hussar1683, @RossRR

My main reason to ask about driving the PowerBoost is that is not designed like a "normal" hybrid. For the record, I have no experience with a hybrid and have little to no experience driving a turbo or twin turbo engine. Since the Powerboost is designed to use both the ICE and battery for different reasons during a drive, I wanted to hear the experiences from actual owners.

While I will figure out what works for me along with the accepting the resulting MPG, hearing from regular drivers of the Powerboost will come in handy. As one would expect, the answers and suggestions are anywhere from 'drive it like you stole it' to hypermiling. Neither of which will be my driving style. I am no longer young or need to drive like I did with my '89 Mustang GT (miss that car) as a younger man. It will get typical suburban type use; commute, Home Depot runs, occasionally hauling stuff, random off-road adventures, and comfort when with family/friends or on long drives to see kids/grandkids. No to mention, the added bonus of a mobile generator with the 7.2Kw option.

Again I appreciate the input from the forum.
The conclusion here (at least the one I hope you get) is that the Powerboost provides you with options.
You wanna drive it like you stole it, burst with speed that will shock most sports car owners? You can. And quietly....this truck is a sleeper. I don't think many people actually know how fast thing thing can be off the line.
Drive it super efficient at the expense of everything else and get nearly diesel level MPG? You can. Take the time to really learn the drive train, and 22 - 26 MPG is completely possible.
Somewhere in the middle, achieving your ideal balance? The range is wide enough to where we all have our own ideal middles, friend. The more you drive the truck, the better you'll understand it and dial it in the way you want it. We all would love to hear your experience.

It's good to have options. 2.5 years in with my Powerboost, every day I smile when I hop into the seat. Some days I want to save fuel, some days I want to save time. Some days I don't really care, and what happens, happens.

And the best part is that it's still a truck. You can do truck things. The pro-power + camping is a potent combo. I've heard some people say it's a gimmick, I'd call it a game changer. Many others would agree.

Get the extended warranty though. Make no mistake, this is leading edge tech and we're still coming off a parts shortage. While I think Ford hit a home run, this is not a simple design, and things have a better chance of going wrong.

DCBoost

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum PB (ordered)
Or, if yours is like the two models I had (yes, I’ve had two PBs and you couldn’t pay me to get another one), they will stall when turning into oncoming traffic. I was almost in several accidents and it’s a really common PB problem. But reading your post made me happy that it doesn’t happen to everyone.

Is this happening to others? This is not the only post regarding slow/delayed response to ICE pulling out into traffic. I have talked to two other current owners and both complained of the transition to ICE.

Kgold

First Name
Keegan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, powerboost
Occupation
Educator
Yes, there are several forums regarding just this issue. Most people end up with their truck in the shop for months before finally giving up and selling them. It’s unfortunate.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Is this happening to others? This is not the only post regarding slow/delayed response to ICE pulling out into traffic. I have talked to two other current owners and both complained of the transition to ICE.
Just to be clear, I'm someone who has 2 Powerboost at my disposal, and had a third for a year, and none of them exhibited the behavior. At least not dangerously. I have experienced the occasional odd momentary delay between the request for torque requiring the pcm to command ICE based torque in leiu of EV torque. But it would be a delay more comparable to boost lag of the past, rather than being hung out to dry.

What's described above is something that I couldn't nor wouldn't come to terms with either. I'm very curious what the culprit and solution is to those trucks.

DCBoost

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum PB (ordered)
From what I've read on a couple other posts, left turn out into traffic and having to accelerate quickly. Gas pedal pushed down with little to no response then the ICE starts and lunges forward. One stated almost got hit in the rear (Maybe cut someone off?) and the other said it lunged so quickly they hit the car in front of them. (Likely floored it during transition?).
I ask this because I've been notified by Ford my 22 ordered PB was retrieved from rotting away in some Michigan field and is now defined as "built". I'm tying to talk myself into buying this but there seems to design flaws (like battery management, transmission programming, coolant leaks) that are sure to find me. 3000 miles for the transmission to learn your driving / buy a battery tender and plug the truck in if not used every day / some complain of lousy gas mileage / quality of body fit / electronic issues.
I realize this forum probably represents < 1 % of owners and the ones with issues even less. I do believe the majority of 2022 PB's must be flawless or just routine minor issues. None the less, it's troubling. I'll make my mine up and go away. Not trying to flame current owners.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I realize this forum probably represents < 1 % of owners and the ones with issues even less. I do believe the majority of 2022 PB's must be flawless or just routine minor issues.
The forum has ~15k users total based on the bottom of the main page. Ford sold ~726k F-150s in 2021, I'd guess 2022 will be similar. At best, we represent 1% of truck owners, and that's as a forum as a whole, assuming everyone that's a user has a truck. Realistically, it's probably 0.5-0.75% and possibly even less for Powerboost owners. And realize that forums and other online platforms are filled with problems over happy owners.

My '21 has been relatively problem free. I only drive weekdays typically, have let it sit for up to a week before without any battery issues and not plugging it in to a charger (minus FDRS sessions). I also have been fortunate to avoid the leaking heat exchanger. Shifting was ok at first, but has been getting better after every PCM update I've applied. No vehicle or brand is without their problems, regardless of how much someone paid.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
You are allowed to test drive before you commit?
Take a long one. Be as discerning as you can possibly merit. Be hyper critical even.

But at some point you have to decide if you want to take the risk, because it's a risk regardless.
But unlike the risk of a used vehicle, you know you have a warranty and you know that nobody before you abused or neglected it.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
You are allowed to test drive before you commit?
Take a long one. Be as discerning as you can possibly merit. Be hyper critical even.

But at some point you have to decide if you want to take the risk, because it's a risk regardless.
But unlike the risk of a used vehicle, you know you have a warranty and you know that nobody before you abused or neglected it.
Concur about driving one over a decent course. I test drove one after I had ordered mine. 12 miles over a varied drive. Thru a small town with several stop lights. A stretch of 45 mph speed limit. Then up a regular surface road at 55 mph speed limit. Next, on the trip back on an interstate. As an added bonus, about 2 miles of stop and go traffic on the interstate.

This portion of the drive opened my eyes. The MPG went up. Used none while stopped. Used a little getting up to 10 mph, then driving at a steady state for maybe a 100 yds ICE was off, and the mpg went up.
Sponsored