new to PowerBoost - how to drive it.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
One other thing. One with a wire, or a Blue Tooth one? Is Forscan free or do I have to purchase anything?
If you spring for the OBDLink MX+, you get the App and the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury pid package free of charge.

So you'd be wireless (Bluetooth) and have all 10 million pids, even if you just want ECT and Transmission temps. :)
Sponsored

DWeber319

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 502A, PB, 6.5' Bed, Ranch Topper
I did a 400+ mile, mostly Texas interstate speeds yesterday, and got a good idea from those EV pids why some folks are so disappointed with their mileage. :)

I was surprised to see that at 70 or above the Hybrid charging algorithm is basically non-Hybrid. Other than regenerative braking, the truck isn't interested in increasing the SOC. It cycles between "trickle charging" the HV battery to trickle discharging as an alternator role for the 12V system. I had assumed that at high speed cruising that the continuous ICE running would be topping off the SOC and then using the electric torque available for momentary torque request increases. But it appears that at those speeds on flat ground its a 3.5 Ecoboost period.
I'm not complaining really. Just surprised a little.
I think my real complaint is that it takes so much strategy off the table and I'm just a driver along for the ride. :)
I decided to just enjoy the music and act like I'm not such a nerd.

I drive a lot of Texas highways and the first thing I do is set cruise to 70. So if I bump it down to 68 it should be using more hybrid power rather than ICE power? And subsequently a little better mpg aside from the decreased speed? Did I interpret what you wrote correctly?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I drive a lot of Texas highways and the first thing I do is set cruise to 70. So if I bump it down to 68 it should be using more hybrid power rather than ICE power? And subsequently a little better mpg aside from the decreased speed? Did I interpret what you wrote correctly?
If I'm not mistaken, somewhere I have read that 62mph is the limit to full Powerboost Hybrid features. While I don't know exactly if that's a hard limit to ALL Hybrid Battery management algorithms, I believe it is the limit for EV events, which would imply the SOC strategy no longer needs to be one that prepares for the next EV event.

DWeber319

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 502A, PB, 6.5' Bed, Ranch Topper
If I'm not mistaken, somewhere I have read that 62mph is the limit to full Powerboost Hybrid features. While I don't know exactly if that's a hard limit to ALL Hybrid Battery management algorithms, I believe it is the limit for EV events, which would imply the SOC strategy no longer needs to be one that prepares for the next EV event.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I’ve not noticed this to be the case. My truck has put itself into electric mode on cruise at 70+mph. Also, living in a hilly area, I routinely see amps coming out of the battery climbing hills at 75-80mph and amps going in when descending the other side, indicating charging. Similarly, my instant mpg will not go above 25mpg until the battery hits a high enough SOC (seems around mid to high 50s) for the engine to stop charging.

If I can find myself flat steady state cruising long enough, then it does level out to very few amps in or out

Ford F-150 new to PowerBoost - how to drive it. 7E0EF3FA-94F1-4499-B5B0-EE464A5F71AC

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's definitely a screenshot that I haven't had the good fortune to witness.

I didn't mean that there's no charge/discharge of the battery at high-speed cruising, but the charge discharge rate (V) is a tiny fraction of the charge/discharge rate at below 60mph.
And it can for long periods of time (2 hours) without the SOC wondering for more than a couple of percent. Say 44-46% SOC

So my description was that the strategy was no longer the typical Hybrid strategy of using the full range of ~42-62% SOC that I normally see in daily driving.

However, I do admit that the truck will never waste an opportunity to gain regenerative braking energy. That's one source of charging that is almost guaranteed to be leveraged if the SOC cap hasn't been hit. (which I don't really know what the cap is on my truck and do not have hills to use to discover it)

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
Driving using PIDs and following state of chart and amperage. Mpg getting better. This is mixed driving highway and city.

Ford F-150 new to PowerBoost - how to drive it. 114978D9-0B75-455F-A4EF-32B3FD946B7B

Bunker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F 150 Powerboost Lariat
Great information here, thanks. I really drive like an old man in this truck. I bet I get about 20mpg the limited amount I’ve driven it around town. It’s not my daily driver, but I bet I have about 3000 around town. I used this to haul the 7800lb airstream to Alaska this summer and got about 11.5mpg which I’m very happy with.
Now to master the around town driving with these tips….

BroCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Subaru WRX STI, 2019 Explorer Platinum
The Wife and I took our first road trip in the new truck. Had less than 500 miles on it when we left. Did a round trip to the cabin 360 miles and got 23 MPG with mixed freeway and back roads driving. I was impressed!

The only complaint I have is, when sitting at a stop light if the ICE kicks on it startles me every time. Mybe I'll get used to it, but every time it has happened, I have jumped! LOL.

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
Great information here, thanks. I really drive like an old man in this truck. I bet I get about 20mpg the limited amount I’ve driven it around town. It’s not my daily driver, but I bet I have about 3000 around town. I used this to haul the 7800lb airstream to Alaska this summer and got about 11.5mpg which I’m very happy with.
Now to master the around town driving with these tips….
I am waiting for KR Powerboost with minimal options. Once I get the truck, I plan to get a 27’ Airstream. Sounds like you towed a 27/28’ AS to Alaska- encouraging to me.

Sponsored

Bunker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F 150 Powerboost Lariat
I am waiting for KR Powerboost with minimal options. Once I get the truck, I plan to get a 27’ Airstream. Sounds like you towed a 27/28’ AS to Alaska- encouraging to me.
Spot on, 27’ GT. I use a pro pride hitch and we packed to the weight limit on the truck and trailer most days. I never lacked in power for the towing. Even the ride was fine and I never felt out of control on any of the very poor roads we drove. It’s a very capable truck, more so than most anyone would think. The ability to plug in anywhere we stayed was invaluable. Nothing like having the heat going, microwave on, smoker running, and charging batteries on the side of the road in Yukon!

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
Spot on, 27’ GT. I use a pro pride hitch and we packed to the weight limit on the truck and trailer most days. I never lacked in power for the towing. Even the ride was fine and I never felt out of control on any of the very poor roads we drove. It’s a very capable truck, more so than most anyone would think. The ability to plug in anywhere we stayed was invaluable. Nothing like having the heat going, microwave on, smoker running, and charging batteries on the side of the road in Yukon!
Very reassuring! We are looking at the 27" GT. Some people scare me that the F150 is the wrong truck. I am keeping my fingers crossed, but through a lot of truck payload comparing my 2wd truck should have around 1800# payload. We will be packing for 2 and no toys.
Thanks

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Been towing RV's with F150's for a decade. Admittedly nothing really heavy or long.

There's a considerable amount of low hanging fruit exist for improving its towing prowess.
Just start with a quality WDH. Make the effort to learn how to adjust it and compare results. They can really make a difference.

I personally believe the oem shocks are a weak spot, and a rear Antisway bar is like magic for planting the rear of the truck with a bumper pull RV.

I think you are going to love the truck and the Airstream. :)

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2022 Maverick Lariat Lux
Here's my take and the answer is as old as the hills. I'm assuming you're wanting to maximize MPG. Powerboost, V8, V6, turbocharged, supercharged, or whatever, whether it's from the 1920's or 2020's, you want to monitor engine load. For the Powerboost you can watch the Coach screen. Drive with a light foot. You can also install a vacuum gauge. If your engine is pulling a vacuum then you have a light engine load and you're using the least amount of fuel if any at all. The opposite of vacuum is boost. Your truck will have a boost gauge. If you see boost you're drinking fuel. If you purchase the required items to read your ECU through the OBD2 port you can read your vacuum. For MPG vacuum is good and boost is bad. It's just this simple.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Very reassuring! We are looking at the 27" GT. Some people scare me that the F150 is the wrong truck. I am keeping my fingers crossed, but through a lot of truck payload comparing my 2wd truck should have around 1800# payload. We will be packing for 2 and no toys.
Thanks
As long as you avoid certain options (4wd being a big one), you can reach an 1800 lb payload with a Powerboost. I have a Lariat Supercrew Powerboost 4x2 with an 1831 lb payload.
Sponsored