How to use (just) accessory power on a 21 Powerboost

1985ns

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Hi, forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question, however I cannot figure out how to activate just accessory power on my 2021 Powerboost.

For example on most vehicles with push button start, one tap of the start button (with your foot off the brake) activates accessory power (radio, windows, thats about it). a second push of the start button (also with your foot off the brake) now powers up the ignition and everything without starting the engine (climate, ECM, power everything). Generally if you're just sitting listening to the radio you would just use accessory power, however in my truck I cannot find a way to turn this on. One push of the start button (with foot off the brake) turns on the entire ignition system. Does this make sense?

What's annoying about this is, after about 15-20 minutes of listening to the radio, this message pops up saying power will be turned off to conserve battery?? In my experience with cars, you should be able to listen to the radio for at least a couple hours before you were at risk of killing your battery?

I hope what I'm asking here makes sense. Let me know if any of you have any ideas. Thanks!
Sponsored

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
if the truck is powered down, pushing the radio power button will turn on just the radio.

VbPb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Exactly what do you want powered on?

I’ve been performing remote welding with the power boost. I enable eco idle and turn off everything but the outlets. The truck burns very little gas. Like I don’t see more than a few miles of lost range after about 8-hours of work.

Cheers,

OP
OP

1985ns

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Exactly what do you want powered on?

I’ve been performing remote welding with the power boost. I enable eco idle and turn off everything but the outlets. The truck burns very little gas. Like I don’t see more than a few miles of lost range after about 8-hours of work.

Cheers,
Literally just the radio, but i think bmwtof150 might have answered my question. Ive never had a car that you can turn on the radio without having to first press the ignition button to power up the vehicle. I'll try it tonight when I have the truck and let you guys know if that works.

Thanks!!

OP
OP

1985ns

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
if the truck is powered down, pushing the radio power button will turn on just the radio.
Oh my god so it was a stupid question I was asking. I’ve never owned a car where the radio worked without pressing the ignition button or in the old days, turning the key one click forward or backwards. Thanks for the tip!!

Sponsored

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
Oh my god so it was a stupid question I was asking. I’ve never owned a car where the radio worked without pressing the ignition button or in the old days, turning the key one click forward or backwards. Thanks for the tip!!
Huh I didn't know this, either. And I've cracked open the manual a few times.

travekinman

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 F150, 2010 BMW 325i wagon, 2009 Jeep Wrangler
it wasn't a stupid question as I too had no idea that would work. So glad you asked since I learned something new and useful.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Yeah, interesting that there is no accessory mode as we used to know it in this truck. Only full power accessory mode (akin to “on” in keyed cars). But like it was stated above, the power button on the radio works great for listening to it with the truck off, though it’ll turn off every 10-15 minutes and you’ll have to turn it back on. I’ve never felt comfortable running radio for more than 30 minutes on battery power but it likely is fine to go longer
Sponsored