First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Yes, there are several forums regarding just this issue. Most people end up with their truck in the shop for months before finally giving up and selling them. It’s unfortunate.
“Most people” seems like a gross exaggeration, but it certainly happens to some folks.
Sponsored

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
From what I've read on a couple other posts, left turn out into traffic and having to accelerate quickly. Gas pedal pushed down with little to no response then the ICE starts and lunges forward. One stated almost got hit in the rear (Maybe cut someone off?) and the other said it lunged so quickly they hit the car in front of them. (Likely floored it during transition?).
I ask this because I've been notified by Ford my 22 ordered PB was retrieved from rotting away in some Michigan field and is now defined as "built". I'm tying to talk myself into buying this but there seems to design flaws (like battery management, transmission programming, coolant leaks) that are sure to find me. 3000 miles for the transmission to learn your driving / buy a battery tender and plug the truck in if not used every day / some complain of lousy gas mileage / quality of body fit / electronic issues.
I realize this forum probably represents < 1 % of owners and the ones with issues even less. I do believe the majority of 2022 PB's must be flawless or just routine minor issues. None the less, it's troubling. I'll make my mine up and go away. Not trying to flame current owners.
Mind doesn’t have any of these issues. Accelerates smoothly, and no shifting issues. I don’t drive it every day, and have no plans to set up a battery tender “just in case”.

I would take all of these reported “issues” with a grain of salt—I’m sure that they’re valid for those people, but the people who post on a user’s forums are not a representative sample of the user population as a whole. You’re hearing about all of the worst problems without hearing from the hundreds of thousands of satisfied customers, so it can skew your impression if you’re not careful.

DCBoost

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum PB (ordered)
Agree with the feedback. Can't wait until I tell the dealer, I need some time with it / not a 10 minute drive around the block. Either way, I still have 2020 Limited that is very good to me.

Kgold

First Name
Keegan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, powerboost
Occupation
Educator
“Most people” seems like a gross exaggeration, but it certainly happens to some folks.
“Most people” refers to those on the forum complaining of the problem, lol. Not most powerboost owners. I’m a big part of those forums. Yes, most of them give up.

OP
OP
Tripdaddy95

Tripdaddy95

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Avalanche Lariat SCrew PB BAP
This thread is not to point out the issues you may have with your truck. There are many other threads for that. Please, stay on topic in threads.

Sponsored

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
@hussar1683, @RossRR

My main reason to ask about driving the PowerBoost is that is not designed like a "normal" hybrid. ....
I guess I don't understand what this means. The Powerboost is a full hybrid (can drive on electric without ICE running), vs a mild hybrid (needs ICE running, uses electric to increase power). It's not a plug-in hybrid (like my wife's Escape).

I've driven a Honda Civic (mild hybrid), a Lexus RX400h (full hybrid), my Powerboost, and the Escape (PHEV). In each case I just drive the car and let the charging system do it's thing.

No engineering degree required; just a driver's license and (if you're on public roads) insurance.

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2022 Maverick Lariat Lux
I have found driving my hybrid F150 is nothing like driving my hybrid Maverick. The Maverick is far more EV-like than the F150. Bottom line, speed costs money. I just drive my Powerboost slow and easy. I drive with a feather foot.

Oakstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB XLT 302A
There are two ways to drive this truck:

1. Like you're escaping the cops
2. Like you're escaping poverty

If 1, then:
-Turn knob to sports mode
-Advise passengers to lay back and strap in
-Apply your whole foot liberally to your gas pedal
-Smile
-Have a plan to not crash, pre-collision assist and blind spot monitoring is pretty helpful on these accounts

If 2, then:
-Set your dash to EV Coach and try as often as you can to keep it in the electric zone...this is the best way to teach you to be efficient...you won't really need it after you get the hang of it
-Learn to use momentum to maximize electric mode....accelerate briskly to 40 mph - 55 mph and then get the gas back by riding it out in electric mode (if you're off highway). 40 - 55 on flat ground is the sweet spot for electric mode.
-Coast and/or ride your break lightly and early as often as you can to help charge the battery for "free"
-Be mindful of mods and tires...heavier tires, level kits, lifts, anything that negatively disrupts airflow will have a huge impact on mpg
-Tonneau cover isn't just a practical mod, it also improves airflow, use that excuse for the potential wife unit to buy a super sweet tonneau cover
-Play around with Normal/Eco modes...there's different schools of thought on which is better, personally I get overall better mpg with Normal but I find Eco gets better mpg on the highway using cruise control

Congrats on your purchase, you'll notice there's way more traffic in the powerboost subforums than the other models of this truck, and that's because we're all huge geeks for this awesome drive train. You're going to love it.
I also got a sweet tonneau cover... for efficiency... haha. Got the Embark LS (Retrax Pro rebrand) and love it. Takes up a bit more of the bed space in the short box than I would have liked, but it's nice to know I can put weight on the aluminum (500lbs) and get nice racks to go over the top to carry bikes later.

I LOVE playing the EV video game! I get so mad when I watch the little "box" that the EV zone is in get smaller as I go up an incline or the battery starts needing to charge. I will try to feather the throttle to keep it in EV and always let out a "&^#@*(&$#" when I fail and the engine turns on. It's like losing a life in Mario lol.

Very interesting about Eco mode vs. Normal. I have been putting it into Eco, but if there's no benefit I'll leave it in Normal.

Out of curiosity, what octane fuel do you run? I got the truck this past weekend 1/2 full from the dealer and put in 87 to top it up, but I'm not opposed to higher if it's worth it for both wear and fuel economy.

Randomseed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 King Ranch Powerboost (on order)
You'll eventually figure out the truck's logic and how best to use it. The one tip to add to everyone elses is that you will eventually understand you'll know better than the truck if it should be running or not, ie: areas you frequent, going home for instance, you might want to make sure the battery is full for pulling into the driveway or backing in, thus making the ICE run instead of electric coasting will charge you up so you're not suddenly needing the ICE because you used up the batt before approaching your destination.

You'll probably be one of the many that 'fix' the speaker. It's obnoxious. I like to creep into and out of my destinations, and it takes battery to do it. Might not make sense now, but it will in 2k miles or so.

Oh, replace your tag lights with LEDs else you'll burn up the bulb retainers in short order.

Here was mine at only 2400 miles
1663918717628.png

1663918748579.png
Just did his on my ‘22 still new but had discoloration starting to show

AUXITO Jackson

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.auxito.com
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Senior Manager Of The Official AUXITO Brand Website
AUXITO 194 LED Bulbs 168 175 2825 W5W T10 24-SMD 3014 Chipsets 6000K White for Car Dome Map Door Dash Instrument Courtesy License Plate Lights Pack of 2 https://a.co/d/2VbyZgh
Hi,do you want to try the AUXITO super bright headlamp? If you are interested we can send it to you for free to review the performance of the product.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Hi,do you want to try the AUXITO super bright headlamp? If you are interested we can send it to you for free to review the performance of the product.
Not sure what the AUXITO is, but my headlamps are the factory LED projectors.

AUXITO Jackson

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.auxito.com
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Senior Manager Of The Official AUXITO Brand Website

My New Baby

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Retired
On Amazon, it says these will not fit 2023 f150. It says they'll fit 2022. Are they mistaken?
I don't think there is a difference between the 22s and 23s. What I'm finding is that the manufacturers have not updated trier year listings. Most 22 parts will fit the 23s.

Blueonblue

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT Contractor

If 1, then:
-Smile
-Have a plan to not crash, pre-collision assist and blind spot monitoring is pretty helpful on these accounts
I would like to add to this:

Hold the traction control button for 5 seconds before all of the fun starts. My 2017 had sport traction control mode with a double tap of the button. Was perfect for drifting. Wish these new trucks had it.

ConiferEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat, Powerboost Hybrid

If 1, then:
-Smile

If 2, then:
-Set your dash to EV Coach and try as often as you can to keep it in the electric zone...this is the best way to teach you to be efficient...you won't really need it after you get the hang of it
-Learn to use momentum to maximize electric mode....accelerate briskly to 40 mph - 55 mph and then get the gas back by riding it out in electric mode (if you're off highway). 40 - 55 on flat ground is the sweet spot for electric mode.
-Coast and/or ride your break lightly and early as often as you can to help charge the battery for "free"
-Be mindful of mods and tires...heavier tires, level kits, lifts, anything that negatively disrupts airflow will have a huge impact on mpg
-Tonneau cover isn't just a practical mod, it also improves airflow, use that excuse for the potential wife unit to buy a super sweet tonneau cover
-Play around with Normal/Eco modes...there's different schools of thought on which is better, personally I get overall better mpg with Normal but I find Eco gets better mpg on the highway using cruise control

Congrats on your purchase, you'll notice there's way more traffic in the powerboost subforums than the other models of this truck, and that's because we're all huge geeks for this awesome drive train. You're going to love it.
not joking, this is exactly correct!
Sponsored