Sponsored

arlowe13

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost Supercrew
I updated my Android Auto app manually to 8.8.x on my Samsung Galaxy S8 by downloading the APK from APKPure.com. That had Coolwalk enabled and allowed full screen Maps after I got the Sync 3.5.4 update the other day.
The APK, itself, does not enable Coolwalk. You would also need Google to enable it on your device. Google has been applying to update a much faster pace the last few days.
Sponsored

KChawkeye02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
The APK, itself, does not enable Coolwalk. You would also need Google to enable it on your device. Google has been applying to update a much faster pace the last few days.
Gotcha. Must have enabled it for that device then as well.

LD50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Raptor, 2022 Lariat on order
So, I got 3.5.3.2 yesterday. I did all almost all of the rain dances that I've seen here to try and make that happen. I can't say whether it was purely coincidence or if something in the process helped to trigger the event. I started the night before by following the instructions in the video that has been floating around here. The following night I went out to my truck and had no indication of any progress. It still showed the info from the 3.5.2 update that I received on 9/15. I was also regularly checking the website developer screen that gives the info as to whether you're update is pending. Before I messed with it last night, it still showed "null" with no info under the "fuseresponse" tab.

My truck has been stubborn in the past to receive updates. Jesse had to assist me with getting my maps updated to enable BC after owning the truck for a month with no luck. The second map update happened with no assistance 2 weeks after it had expired. The last one showed up on time with no assistance. 3.5.2 didn't happen until I started messing with sync and doing repeated APIM resets with the power/search button combo. My truck came with 21297 and remained on that version until yesterday when it jumped to 22293.

Right before I started messing with my truck last night, the web tools still indicated no update was in the que. I decided to try what seemed to work with 3.5.2 and performed several apim resets. After each reset I would check the Sync version, check updates tab and the other tab above check updates that will show you the info screen that contains the info on the last update you received (don't remember what the tab is labelled atm). In my case, it still showed the info from 3.5.2.

After several cycles of doing this, I started to notice small incremental changes, similar to my experience with 3.5.2. I first noticed that the info screen from 3.5.2 had disappeared and was blank, like there had been no previous updates. Through some more combinations of cycling the apim and checking info screens, I noticed my BC maps had updated to the 2073 date. I then tried cycling the "Automatic Updates" tab off and it came up with a screen indicating a download was in progress. When I was having issues with 3.5.2, I cycled the apim a couple more times and the update took. That wasn't the case with 3.5.3.2. I also disconnected and reconnected wifi a couple of times, but ultimately left it turned off. When I noticed the repeated apim cycling was no longer having any effect, I locked the truck up and left if for several hours, connected only to the ATT cellular connection.

My cell connection in my garage isn't great, only about 2 bars LTE. I also had a 10 amp NOCO connected to the battery, and noticed it had pulled the gauge on the charger down to about 60%. Probably as much from repeated cycling and being in the truck with the ignition in accessory as anything else. I then went to my laptop and checked the web tools again. This time it showed all the appropriate info under the "fuseresponse" tab indicating my update was available.

About 2 hours later, I went back to the truck and the update had been successful. I obviously can't say that anything I did had any real affect, but it also seems like too much to chalk up to coincidence. Take it for what it's worth.

Sponsored

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
Looks like my OTA update to 3.5.3.2 is scheduled between 2/1 through 2/8. Might go throw the battery charger on for good luck lol
Got into the truck today and saw my Android Auto was changed over. Shortcut icons on the left and different screen lay out.

Checked the Sync update screen and the software update details page was blank. Pressed a few buttons on the software update page then the details page was populated with "A system update is pending" and mentioned everything about 3.5.3.2.

I wasn't able to maximize my map screens size so hopefully that comes soon. It's probably purely coincidental that I received this after putting the battery charger on all night, but I'll probably put it back on tonight. I have a couple hour drive each of the next two days so hopefully that'll be enough time to get the ball rolling on updates.

Sync version still shows 21297 Rev 253 and my hands free shows the year 2073 as well.

LD50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Checked the web developer tools again tonight after getting 3.5.3.2 last night and noticed a mention of 3.5.4. Went out to the truck and no indication of any update in progress, including toggling automatic updates off and on. Did an apim reset and tried checking again. This time it said an update is in progress when I tried to turn off automatic updates. I'll let it sit for a few hours tonight and check it but I expect it to work again like it did yesterday.

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
Checked the web developer tools again tonight after getting 3.5.3.2 last night and noticed a mention of 3.5.4. Went out to the truck and no indication of any update in progress, including toggling automatic updates off and on. Did an apim reset and tried checking again. This time it said an update is in progress when I tried to turn off automatic updates. I'll let it sit for a few hours tonight and check it but I expect it to work again like it did yesterday.
My truck updated to 3.5.3 yesterday morning. Today 3.5.4 came through without a problem. Never had to do anything special with the truck, but had to wait a few days before the update shook welcoming hands with the truck before 3.5.3 updated. Just a matter of time for the many I hope .

ProHERO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Same exact thing happened to me today. Checked developer tools for 3.5.4 and showed installation queued. I got the update in progress message trying to toggle auto updates off too. I had good results starting the truck, toggling wifi off and ensuring I have strong cellular signal. Checked the developer tools again and within 5 minutes I went to deploying and update successful.

Hugo

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SC Lariat 3.5 EB FX4 Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Law Enforcement
I just got off the phone with the OTA update team. I've struggled with updates and my 2021 Lariat. They recently ended up replacing the modem and OTA module since it hasn't ever received an update. The dealership advised a "wait and see to see if its fixed" policy. The update team just told me that there is an issue with the 2021/2022 model years and gateway issues. Apparently yesterday they tried to send me the update but to no avail. They're working the problem now and hope to have a full resolution by the end of the month.

Sponsored

LD50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Same exact thing happened to me today. Checked developer tools for 3.5.4 and showed installation queued. I got the update in progress message trying to toggle auto updates off too. I had good results starting the truck, toggling wifi off and ensuring I have strong cellular signal. Checked the developer tools again and within 5 minutes I went to deploying and update successful.
Same here. About the same time I was finishing my previous post, I got the update notification for 3.5.4 on FordPass

Last edited:
OP
OP
rugedraw

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Getting 3.5.4 right after getting 3.5.3(.2) has been a trend for the past two weeks since they started pushing it out. I've also seen trends of 3.5.3(.2) getting sent out again if it fails almost immediately. I've also noticed the 3.5.3 updates have a much higher fail rate than 3.5.4.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I just got off the phone with the OTA update team. I've struggled with updates and my 2021 Lariat. They recently ended up replacing the modem and OTA module since it hasn't ever received an update. The dealership advised a "wait and see to see if its fixed" policy. The update team just told me that there is an issue with the 2021/2022 model years and gateway issues. Apparently yesterday they tried to send me the update but to no avail. They're working the problem now and hope to have a full resolution by the end of the month.
Amazing.
They'll (Ford and dealership) will go through the trouble and expense to replace modules, but not just do the updates directly? I mean the truck is right there in the bay.

I don't get it. And obviously replacing modules didn't accomplish bringing your truck any more up to date, nor accomplish fixing the OTA purgatory.

After a couple of years and the accumulated knowledge, that now there's no excuse for not having, it's just crazy to hear such things.

OP
OP
rugedraw

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Amazing.
They'll (Ford and dealership) will go through the trouble and expense to replace modules, but not just do the updates directly? I mean the truck is right there in the bay.

I don't get it. And obviously replacing modules didn't accomplish bringing your truck any more up to date, nor accomplish fixing the OTA purgatory.

After a couple of years and the accumulated knowledge, that now there's no excuse for not having, it's just crazy to hear such things.
He's not in purgatory. OTA hotliners are fluffers who read what PTS says any tell you want you want to hear to diffuse the situation. If they told him "they" tried to send him the update yesterday, it means PTS shows he got an update sent to him yesterday. If that's the case, then the dealer did fix his OTA problems because otherwise, he wouldn't get updates.

@Hugo post or PM me your VIN. I can't see what your dealer did to your truck without being at the office, but I can check if you were sent an OTA and which one it was.

Hugo

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SC Lariat 3.5 EB FX4 Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Amazing.

They said they updated the system to the latest version they could. Which I think they actually did. I literally watched my truck sit on the lift with a laptop in the driver's seat trying to get updates for a week. They then decided to replace the modules after failing to update the system. I provided my vin a couple weeks ago ok here and some fine person here helped look it up and let me know it was a fairly recent version of sync and they could see the work they did but no sync updates on the horizon.

@ruge 1FTFW1E81MFA06955. I appreciate you looking. I know my dealership replaced and updated things. But my not updating ota is TBD and is the wait and see portion I just don't like.
Sponsored

Last edited: