Truck sent but won't download OTA PowerUp 3.5.3

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
Got my VIN checked through the "Request VIN Lookup Thread" and was informed my truck was sent PowerUp 3.5.3 on Tues 1/24 and since then has been stuck at "Update Downloading" of file #4, a very small 602KB file, of the package. @rugedraw said he's seeing several other trucks stuck at this point, while many others are reporting rapid fire successful installs of 3.5.3 and then almost immediately 3.5.4. So, to save anyone else stuck at download of 3.5.3 some time/effort I figured I'd provide info about what I've done that has not helped the issue...
  • Low temps at night are in the teens so as soon as I started to see OTAs were starting to roll out again I started hooking my battery up to a Noco Genius 10 charger most nights, including Tuesday evening, the first day 3.5.3 was sent to my truck. Battery's been fully charged since 1/22. Doesn't seem to be battery SOC-related.
  • My truck spends all day in a business park with strong wifi and AT&T cellular connections and all evening/night in my driveway with strong wifi and AT&T cellular connections. Doesn't seem to be related to weak/inconsistent internet connection(s).
  • I called the Ford OTA Hotline (833.389.0848) fully expecting a fluff job by some low level customer service employee and got just that. @rugedraw actually sees more details on his PTS screen (see attached pic) than Ford's own "Hotline" representatives. He was friendly and wished he could help, but after confirming that PowerUp 3.5.3 was indeed pending install, his only troubleshooting suggestions were to charge the battery (done) and connect to wifi (done). He mentioned resetting my APIM module by holding power and song forward/skip buttons, which I'd already tried in the last 24 hours once or twice (didn't help). He said, "sorry, I don't have any options to reset or force downloads or even escalate this to anyone else." He said maybe a dealer will install using their "special software" (FDRS). Pretty pointless.
Anyway, wish I had an answer for others stuck at this point but hope this at least helps to eliminate anything in our control that may be the issue. My OTA PowerUp 3.5.3 campaign expires on Feb 7, so still another week and a half that the truck will be resent the update, but I'm seeing posts from others sent 3.5.3 in early January that failed for the full 2-week campaign. Based on what I've ready from @rugedraw and @Jesse-Infotainment tracking similar issues over the past year sounds like it could be months until it's sent again if it fails completely. Then I guess it's off to the dealer or buy a Mongoose cable...

Any speculation why some trucks get hung up during download and others don't?

Note that "Target Identifier" #8060 (far left column) seems to be the common denominator for everyone stuck during downloading. Again, it's a really small file - only 602KB. It downloaded a 1GB file (see 2 files up in the list) just fine. I wonder what function "target 8060" performs in the APIM module...

Ford F-150 Truck sent but won't download OTA PowerUp 3.5.3 Picture8
Sponsored

Last edited:

DBJohnston0104

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Limited / 2021 F150 Limited
My situation is the same as yours. Stuck and now my window has apparently passed so I guess I just have to wait. I wonder if someone will come out with a Sync4Updater like we had for Sync3...

OP
OP
pavementends

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enginerd
Update: After several suggestions I disconnected/forgot all wifi connections because it's evident that the trucks only use the truck's built-in cellular connection (free/included with truck, 100% invisible to you) to download OTAs, contrary to Ford's suggestions that wifi connection will speed up OTA updates. So wifi is now effectively off. I'll report back whether that changes anything with the download/install progress...

Last edited:

Sponsored

mastacon

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 powerboost xlt
I’m going to forget my network as well when I get home. I’ll report back. I’ve downloaded the first 2 files of 3.5.3.

OP
OP
pavementends

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enginerd
I’m going to forget my network as well when I get home. I’ll report back. I’ve downloaded the first 2 files of 3.5.3.
So your truck is stuck at the "Target Identifier 8068" file (3rd one down the list, left most column in my pic above) and not the same one mine did? Just curious because I'm wondering if there's some correlation everyone getting stuck at the same file, or if it's random and not file related...

mastacon

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 powerboost xlt
The guy that checked my vin said I got sent 3.5.3 two days ago and it downloaded the first 2 files

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
So your truck is stuck at the "Target Identifier 8068" file (3rd one down the list, left most column in my pic above) and not the same one mine did? Just curious because I'm wondering if there's some correlation everyone getting stuck at the same file, or if it's random and not file related...
Can't go by that, either. I have checked several trucks that only have three files on the left side which Jesse said are just destinations, but the box on the right will show 20 files downloaded and there are still only 3 files shown on the left. It could be the files this update downloads are only destined to go into those 3 "destinations" on the APIM.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Case in point:

Left shows three "destinations", the right shows many files downloaded and many still pending. I'll PM Jesse to confirm.

Ford F-150 Truck sent but won't download OTA PowerUp 3.5.3 Picture10

Sponsored

OP
OP
pavementends

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enginerd
Can't go by that, either. I have checked several trucks that only have three files on the left side which Jesse said are just destinations, but the box on the right will show 20 files downloaded and there are still only 3 files shown on the left. It could be the files this update downloads are only destined to go into those 3 "destinations" on the APIM.
Ahhhh ok. It's the engineer "fixer" in me trying to find a correlation/causation, which I couldn't do anything about anyway so what's my point! Thanks for all your help dude 🍻

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Ok, so confirmed that the 3 things on the left are not the file downloads themselves. In the pic I just posted, you see it says "current software" and "available software" next to the listed target identifiers. If you look on the right, the three files that appear as "available software" were downloaded along with a bunch of other ones. Therefore, my initial theory of these trucks downloading the first three files and then getting stuck there is 100% erroneous.

OP
OP
pavementends

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enginerd
Ok, so confirmed that the 3 things on the left are not the file downloads themselves. In the pic I just posted, you see it says "current software" and "available software" next to the listed target identifiers. If you look on the right, the three files that appear as "available software" were downloaded along with a bunch of other ones. Therefore, my initial theory of these trucks downloading the first three files and then getting stuck there is 100% erroneous.
So in the pics you've sent me for my truck, it doesn't say "File Download Finished" for any row, so does that mean none of the files have successfully downloaded? Is that similar to the issues people were having like a year ago during PowerUp 1.something or maybe 2.7.something where guys where having their whole APIM modules replaced under warranty? I'd REALLY prefer to avoid a trip to a dealer and lose my truck for 2-3+ days. I think I'd rather fork out the $600 for Mongoose + FDRS license, or maybe borrow/rent yours!

Will you please check my VIN one more time to see if anything has changed since this screenshot you sent Wednesday morning? 1FTFX1E8XMKE93061

Ford F-150 Truck sent but won't download OTA PowerUp 3.5.3 PTS 1-25-2023

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
So in the pics you've sent me for my truck, it doesn't say "File Download Finished" for any row, so does that mean none of the files have successfully downloaded? Is that similar to the issues people were having like a year ago during PowerUp 1.something or maybe 2.7.something where guys where having their whole APIM modules replaced under warranty? I'd REALLY prefer to avoid a trip to a dealer and lose my truck for 2-3+ days. I think I'd rather fork out the $600 for Mongoose + FDRS license, or maybe borrow/rent yours!

Will you please check my VIN one more time to see if anything has changed since this screenshot you sent Wednesday morning? 1FTFX1E8XMKE93061
No files have been downloaded since 1:58pm on 1/24.

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
Okay, I'm curious at this point:

1FTFW1E57NKD85037

Currently says I'm on 3.5.2

Truck connects to wi-fi whenever it's home, good AT&T reception.
Sponsored