Looks like another axle bolt shear…

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Well was doing an oil change and tire rotation today on my 23 PB and I had the bolt on my passenger side sheared off. So add me to the the list of unfortunate people.
This is stunningly bad news - I believe the first 2023 model year bolt failure reported. :cry:
Sponsored

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
It's already reaching a legendary status on the forums.
Mostly reported to affect a specific range of production dates.
I've already ordered two of these and I don't even have my truck yet.
Do we know the torque specs on these? I'm probably going to swap them as soon as Im able.

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
Which side does the bolt snap on? Or is there only a bolt on what side.

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
Edit: clearly I didn’t read this thread close enough! Thanks for the info @Buyer2021

Bottom line - you have the 3/4-float axle that is the subject of this thread only and always if you have the Max Tow Package (but not any other tow package) on your Gen 14 F150. Note that the Max Tow Package is a required part of HDPP, too.

The above options are only found on F150 with 3.5EB, 5.0V8, or PB engines.

There is also a 9.75" semi-floating axle offered in certain other configurations, but that is not subject to this issue, it has no bolt in the end of the axle.

So, the easiest 'test' is to look for Max Tow Package or HDPP (heavy Duty Payload Package) on the window sticker of your F150 with 3.5EB, 5.0V8. or PB engine.

The next easiest test is to pull the center cap on a rear wheel and look - if you see a bolt-head in the center of the end of the axle your have the 3/4-float axle that is the subject of this thread. There is no bolt at all in the center of the end of any other Gen 14 F150 axle.

*Disclosure: a potentially stupid question and happy to be told so by others lol*

I’ve read through the thread and noticed all the affected trucks were 3.5/5.0/PB with max tow.

I was taking a look at my setup and noticed the 2.7 payload package has the 3.73 axle with 9.75” gears.

Is this the same axle as max tow? (I assume it isn’t, but the specs align) Wondering if this is something I need to keep an eye on or if I’m in the clear. I know 2.7 payload isn’t a super common option, which made me think maybe just a lack of data in others reporting.

Ford F-150 Looks like another axle bolt shear… 262CCBCF-5A76-4A43-A54C-0CCCD78A34A1

Last edited:

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Is this the same axle as max tow?
NO

Yours is the "semi-floating" version of the 9.75" ring-gear axle, NOT the 3/4-float axle that is the subject of this thread. Pull a rear wheel or center cap, yours has no bolt visible in the center of the end of the rear axle shaft (the wheel mounting flange is cast integral with the axle shaft, it's all one piece).

Sponsored

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
NO

Yours is the "semi-floating" version of the 9.75" ring-gear axle, NOT the 3/4-float axle that is the subject of this thread. Pull a rear wheel or center cap, yours has no bolt visible in the center of the end of the rear axle shaft (the wheel mounting flange is cast integral with the axle shaft, it's all one piece).
Thanks, posted too quickly and found your post from a few weeks ago shortly after!

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
Well was doing an oil change and tire rotation today on my 23 PB and I had the bolt on my passenger side sheared off. So add me to the the list of unfortunate people.
This cannot possibly be the case because Ford's service bulletin doesn't identify any 2023 model vehicles...;)

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
Mine sheared off and popped off my wheel cap. Guess ford is going to spring the $13 for a new one.

question, safe to drive the truck with a sheared off bolt?

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Mine sheared off and popped off my wheel cap. Guess ford is going to spring the $13 for a new one.

You have to decide for yourself, but many people have driven thousands of miles with it sheared off and so far, no records of negative impact from them doing so that I've seen posted here.

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Drugs
You have to decide for yourself, but many people have driven thousands of miles with it sheared off and so far, no records of negative impact from them doing so that I've seen posted here.
Is that because they all died?

Sponsored

OddBall88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Powerboost, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Occupation
Farmer

My dealer said ford had them replace the entire axle shaft cause of possible stretched threads from the bolt shearing. Only took a week for them to get a replacement shaft though.

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Drugs
My dealer said ford had them replace the entire axle shaft cause of possible stretched threads from the bolt shearing. Only took a week for them to get a replacement shaft though.
Ill have the dealer look into that.

loving this truck so far…

b4hand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost Carbonized Grey
Add me to the list. It's a 2021 Powerboost with Max Tow. Really sucks because I need my truck to tow my car this weekend and they're saying they can't even look at it for a week. Another event down the drain thanks to something breaking.
Sponsored