First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Corporate shill
IF you look back at the OP, he was questioning MPG and ROI so I provided data based on averages. I'm not providing ANY opinions on the subjective choices as to which is better.
I understand that. But my point is, simply, that there is value in the other features that are enabled by the hybrid technology, so calculating ROI purely based on MPG will likely be a tough case to make - you have to look at the whole package. Alternatively, the price of a Prius can be looked at purely on mileage compared to a Camry as it offers nothing else beyond an electric powertrain.(p.s. don't ask me why toyota comes to mind - never owned one nor would I!)

HawkeyeOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
@Vspec,

Great point. Given what is shaping up to be the commercial success of these Hybrids, I fully expect Ford to do just that - expand the offering to include a 2.7.

It will be all the more important given the agenda of the current Administration and the ever-increasing pressure of CAFE standards to cut carbon. Increased electrification is the only solution.

Now if they could just get enough of those damned chips ...
And in the end it will make no difference in environmental impact or stress on infrastructure given what it takes to produce the batteries as well as what it will take for everyone to be charging an EV all at the same time.

Ever thought about what happens to all of the batteries once they’re dead and useless?

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
And in the end it will make no difference in environmental impact or stress on infrastructure given what it takes to produce the batteries as well as what it will take for everyone to be charging an EV all at the same time.

Ever thought about what happens to all of the batteries once they’re dead and useless?
Indeed I have - and I agree with your point. The toxicity of all those batteries will be a huge environmental problem.

As for the electricity infrastructure, today it can't handle anywhere near the demand that will be required for a full EV world. YouTube Engineer on 'Engineering Explained' recently had an episode on this topic. As I recall, his estimate was 8-9 years for the infrastructure to build-out, about as long as the journey for the world to move to electrification. Supply will equal Demand.

On this Forum, I try to limit my comments to the (CAFE) laws on the books and only vaguely alluded to the agenda of the current Administration. Lets just say that I am a not a fan. I am however trying to stay away from matters of politics, out of respect for the Forum Administrator and the great people here.

Be well.

Sponsored

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
“Is the hybrid worth the upgrade?”
Absolutely. I’ve owned many great trucks(all Fords) in my 68 years including all of the Ford “hot rods”, but this one is by far my favorite.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
“Is the hybrid worth the upgrade?”
Absolutely. I’ve owned many great trucks(all Fords) in my 68 years including all of the Ford “hot rods”, but this one is by far my favorite.
Love that response! I can't wait!

JDinNFLA

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Star White 3.5 EB
Don’t buy for the MPG. My 3.5EB gets 20-21 around town and 23-24 highway. Buy for the Pro Power if you camp or need power available anywhere.

RexTX

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Mustang Shelby GT, 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
retired
PB on order here, waiting patiently.
In 2016 I bought a 2008 Escape Hybrid, with 150K miles on it. It was interesting, and I like efficient vehicles. Shortly after that my wife bought a 2014 Lincoln MKZ (Fusion) Hybrid.
These Ford hybrids are amazing vehicles. The technology in them is leading-edge, and a lot of thought went into making all the various systems work together for the best driving experience and fuel economy.

- The ICE has the hardest work off-loaded to the electric motor - starting from stop. Low RPM & high torque just to get rolling is where most of the wear happens. This allows the ICE to go 400K-500k miles without major issues.
- The brakes last forever. My 2008 escape is at 200K miles on the original front brake pads. The rear pads lasted to 170K.
- the ICE start/stop is almost undetectable, unlike the conventional vehicles we have had.
- Even now, with the 14-year-old battery just about used up, the 2008 Escape gets 27 mpg all day long, with no drama. It still uses EV mode, just not as long. The power boost is still there when you want it.

My 2008 is 1st gen for Ford hybrids. The 2014 Lincoln was 2nd gen or better, and the difference was substantial. That car was fast, smooth, and got 38 mpg no mater how you drove it. I would buy another in a heartbeat if I were looking for a sedan.

I had been thinking of buying a new truck to replace my 1996 F350. Wife wanted a travel trailer, so we needed a more comfortable tow vehicle. Plus, the F350 was getting 11 mpg, and I hated that. Even the new trucks with conventional drivetrains weren't doing much better. The EB 2.7 was going to be my choice, though they only got good mpg numbers with premium gas. When I saw the F150 Hybrid I jumped on it. It's very hard to sit and wait all these months for mine.
So call me a Ford Hybrid fan-boy.

Sponsored

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Screw 145" 3.5 Powerboost Full Hybrid
It does get good gas milage and its fun to drive... we call it the spaceship because of the sound it makes - we bought it for camping and mostly because we are getting ready to buy land and a truck with a powerful generator was a major selling point. Its comfortable to drive and when I say its a silent screamer - I have turned a few heads with a 0-60 in just about 5 seconds.. its a monster.. I really wish Ford would make an F250 Full hybrid with the the generator.

powerboost_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PB XLT 302A & 2021- PB Lariat 502A
PB worth it? Absolutely 100% worth upgrading a PB! This PB is by far the best F150 I have owned and have owned many F150's over the last 30 years. The fuel economy is unreal compared to my 2018 2.7EB and my 2015 5.0 yote.

The power is insane! It's truly is a silent killer and have caught a few high performance cars off guard. The Pro Power is another amazing feature that I have used on the job site . Only small issue I have is the reverse bonking/beeping when it's in electric mode..... Can't sneak in late anymore!

adyaro77

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150
This is an interesting post for me because I went to the dealership wanting a hybrid, but was talked out of it. I started looking into a powerboost at my regular dealership I have used for years, but due to getting more for my trade in I ended up at a second Ford dealership.

At the first dealership I've known my salesman for over a decade. Once I told him that I was not only going to use this truck to work out of on the weekends, but take my approximately 5,500 lb boat back and forth to Florida every year he said that probably wasn't the best option for me. He immediately brought up dependability and reduced payload issues.

Fast forward to the second dealership. Not only was I told the exact same thing, but my sales lady took me to a tech in the repair shop and he shared with me that the ones they service the most are normally the ones that Haul and tow a lot and reminding me in my situation that these are light duty pickup trucks. This is why you will see in previous posts I really struggle with the decision between a 150 and a 250. So take this information as you will. I am not bad mouthing the hybrid F-150... I think it's an excellent truck. It just makes me wonder why two dealerships talked me out of it after explaining how I would use it. **Furthermore it's not like I would be putting more payload or towing more than it's listed capacity.

JoeRedFly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB
Occupation
Working
@adyaro77 5500 lbs sure doesn't sound like much to me. My last f150 was a 3.5 EB that towed similar boat just fine. My new hybrid is even better.

Also, the hybrid runs my home ac just fine during power outages despite what some set in their ways folks would have you believe.

Get the truck unless you want to drive an f250 around town
Sponsored