Feature Requests for the F-150 Hybrid

Feature Requests

• Total voters

JoeBlowFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Plat PB (Job 1)
Does auto-hold have to be taken off every key-cycle?
I have auto hold turned off and it stays that way through each shutdown/start cycle. Are you saying that after you've turned the feature off, that each time you re-start it's active again?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I have auto-hold turned off and then just use the hold button on the steering wheel if I am at a traffic stop. Of course this does not apply unless you do have a vehicle in front of you. If you are first in line, you can't use this wonderful feature.

Guitarot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost SuperCrew 4x4 short-bed
I've been thinking of various things to improve or change. Here's a rough draft list I've compiled so far. I figure a poll and let others add their ideas for vote for existing ideas.
While researching whether I could install a driver-side Swingcase toolbox given that the power panel is back there (I can, BTW), a huge fail on Ford's part occurred to me. They didn't provide a way to have power cables hanging out of the back without exposing the truck bed to wet weather even if you have a tonneau cover or cap. They assume that whenever you're powering something that you'll want to have your tailgate open. They should have put some type of weather-proof port in the tailgate or the driver's side of the bed for the power cables to go through. Probably the best most practical solution would be a slot in the tailgate with some spring-loaded soft-gasketed door to push against the cable to keep the weather out of the bed.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm convinced those kinds of things were "discussed", but were shot down for reasons Ford thinks is valid.

If I had a strong enough reason to do something about it I would probably rig up my own remote receptacles under the the truck near the rear tow hitch. I don't think I'm willing to hack my tailgate up, but I might be willing to create an access hole in the bed of the truck.

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
...They didn't provide a way to have power cables hanging out of the back without exposing the truck bed to wet weather even if you have a tonneau cover or cap. They assume that whenever you're powering something that you'll want to have your tailgate open. They should have put some type of weather-proof port in the tailgate or the driver's side of the bed for the power cables to go through...

I could see a version of this panel from an early ZR2 sema concept being a good option (I think they were using it for air, water, lights, and power IIRC):

Ford F-150 Feature Requests for the F-150 Hybrid chevrolet-colorado_100630931_h

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
Except when you're backing-n-filling a trailer or you're on a 35 degree dirt trail … both of which I've done recently and loathed having to get the engine back on without upsetting traction. Also, in stop-n-go suburbia, going one block at a time between empty 4-way stop intersections, the lag of the engine going off is idiotic … or merging into traffic after a stop/yield … the lag before acceleration is a guessing game rather than a smooth power delivery.
I think the engine stop-starts in all modes, certainly in sport. The only "work-around" I have is to left-foot brake and tip in the throttle enough to wake up the engine before I need it (e.g. merging or block-to-block 4-way stop intersections.)
I have also found that if I step on the throttle before shifting out of park it will force the ICE to fire up, but if not in park, then left foot braking

SteveP150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
The option for default Eco mode is not only a no-brainer, it's 100% a simple software update. You'd think that would take Ford's software engineers all of 15 mins to code.

Good list. I can only assume that there was some reason they didn't use a more powerful electric motor, given they are in many hybrid cars. Maybe the motor and all associated things needed would have taken up too much space or added too much weight?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Big batteries and big motors would steal precious Payload Capacity. When it drops below ~1500lbs, truck guys will raise cane. :)

It's gotta BE a truck first!

Another reason the Lightning is so impressive to a truck guy who didn't necessarily think EV until now. Looks like a truck, acts like a truck, and runs like an Ecoboost on steroids.

The F150 platform is currently experiencing amazing expansion.

Sponsored

RGee

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Powerboost 7.2Kw 2021 Winni Mini 2108DS
Occupation
Retired Controller German Automotive Supplier
If not already mentioned - adding a powerpro start function to FordPass would work for me. Typically I have no need to run the generator at night but it would be great to set in the trailer and enjoy the first cup and watch the morning news before venturing out.

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
I still wanna start my generator from inside my RV using the Ford app. AND let me enjoy the WiFi without having to go out to the truck and push the dang start button. Geez how hard of a software update would that be?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If not already mentioned - adding a powerpro start function to FordPass would work for me. Typically I have no need to run the generator at night but it would be great to set in the trailer and enjoy the first cup and watch the morning news before venturing out.
I still wanna start my generator from inside my RV using the Ford app. AND let me enjoy the WiFi without having to go out to the truck and push the dang start button. Geez how hard of a software update would that be?
You can do all of that if you are connected via Bluetooth to the truck rather than the cellular cloud connection, which is a proxy. Bluetooth is direct and local and the FordPass App has extended functionality via a local direct connection.

If the truck is parked close by the RV, you should be able to start it remotely, then connect via Bluetooth, then launch ProPower all from the couch.

Enjoy that first cup without putting your shoes on. :)

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
You can do all of that if you are connected via Bluetooth to the truck rather than the cellular cloud connection, which is a proxy. Bluetooth is direct and local and the FordPass App has extended functionality via a local direct connection.

If the truck is parked close by the RV, you should be able to start it remotely, then connect via Bluetooth, then launch ProPower all from the couch.

Enjoy that first cup without putting your shoes on. :)
My cellphone states “Truck must be ON in order to connect via Bluetooth”, someone still has to go to the truck and push the dang button.?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My cellphone states “Truck must be ON in order to connect via Bluetooth”, someone still has to go to the truck and push the dang button.?
You don't have remote start? ?
Sponsored