First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I’ve tried all those tips and tricks but it really doesn’t make that big of a difference, so, now I just get in it and go. BTW….I love that truck when I put it in the passing lane to pass a slower vehicle, only ever felt that kind of torque on my dragbike before, but, I’m sure your V8 will do that also? ?????
hahaha doubt my V8 stands a chance against a PB especially at takeoff or passing acceleration but I pretty much stand by my previous comments. I didn't get the PB for a number of reasons. One, cost. Two, despite what others have said the hybrid was an unknown in how it would perform in this truck. Sure hybrids have been around for a long time but it's the first time it has been used in the F150 and so basically a brand new engine with an unproven track record 3, my ability to just get in a go and not have to coast, slow down, brake easy, coax it, etc. Sure none of that actually has to be done to be able to go anywhere but still all the tips and tricks, really? I don't know maybe people like to do all of that. Like I've said just like a broken record. I just wanna get in go and not worry about anything other than normal wear & tear, the possibility of oil consumption from the coyote and sure anything can happen to any of our vehicles at any time and it does. I just chose not to be part of what I call the testing phase of the hybrid. Just by reading some of the issues some people have had especially with the hybrid, I'm just glad I didn't buy it. Now a person could argue that's what the warranty is for yet the warranty only pays for the issues that pop up. Not the time having to deal with them and when it got time to decide on the engine for me, other than the cost, and the unknowns at the time I decided it wasn't for me.
Sponsored

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
hahaha doubt my V8 stands a chance against a PB especially at takeoff or passing acceleration but I pretty much stand by my previous comments. I didn't get the PB for a number of reasons. One, cost. Two, despite what others have said the hybrid was an unknown in how it would perform in this truck. Sure hybrids have been around for a long time but it's the first time it has been used in the F150 and so basically a brand new engine with an unproven track record 3, my ability to just get in a go and not have to coast, slow down, brake easy, coax it, etc. Sure none of that actually has to be done to be able to go anywhere but still all the tips and tricks, really? I don't know maybe people like to do all of that. Like I've said just like a broken record. I just wanna get in go and not worry about anything other than normal wear & tear, the possibility of oil consumption from the coyote and sure anything can happen to any of our vehicles at any time and it does. I just chose not to be part of what I call the testing phase of the hybrid. Just by reading some of the issues some people have had especially with the hybrid, I'm just glad I didn't buy it. Now a person could argue that's what the warranty is for yet the warranty only pays for the issues that pop up. Not the time having to deal with them and when it got time to decide on the engine for me, other than the cost, and the unknowns at the time I decided it wasn't for me.
I understand your concerns. I did order a new PB, and did so with some trepidations. I did not, however, order it with visions of saving money by using less gas. Nor did I get it because of the extra HP or torque. My current Gen 1 EB gives more than enough of that.

I got it simply for the 7.2Kw generator. I still tow my TT a lot. I've grown tired of deploying a pair of Honda 2000 gennys whenever I'm boondocking, which is quite often. Also, when occasionally spending some time in a Walmart getting some sleep and fighting hot weather, and not being able to deploy said Hondas.

Plus the fact I will have a generous amount of power should I lose electricity at the house.

And it's not like my 2014 F150 with EB and HDPP has been problem free. Via either the warranty or the ESP, Ford has replaced 3 throttle bodies, replaced the turbos and timing chains, replaced one coil on plug, replaced both exhaust manifolds, replaced the transmission valve body, replaced the rear pinion seal and entire rear end plus the rear parking brake assembly. Fortunately, it's only left me on the side of the road once.

40% of my 99k miles have been towing. And I have changed oil every 5k miles.

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Lawyer
Part of the reason I like my Powerboost is that it very interactive. Part of this is learning how to engage the all electric status given speed, terrain and acceleration-deceleration. It is not like non hybrid trucks and I did not expect it to be.

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I understand your concerns. I did order a new PB, and did so with some trepidations. I did not, however, order it with visions of saving money by using less gas. Nor did I get it because of the extra HP or torque. My current Gen 1 EB gives more than enough of that.

I got it simply for the 7.2Kw generator. I still tow my TT a lot. I've grown tired of deploying a pair of Honda 2000 gennys whenever I'm boondocking, which is quite often. Also, when occasionally spending some time in a Walmart getting some sleep and fighting hot weather, and not being able to deploy said Hondas.

Plus the fact I will have a generous amount of power should I lose electricity at the house.

And it's not like my 2014 F150 with EB and HDPP has been problem free. Via either the warranty or the ESP, Ford has replaced 3 throttle bodies, replaced the turbos and timing chains, replaced one coil on plug, replaced both exhaust manifolds, replaced the transmission valve body, replaced the rear pinion seal and entire rear end plus the rear parking brake assembly. Fortunately, it's only left me on the side of the road once.

40% of my 99k miles have been towing. And I have changed oil every 5k miles.
I admit if I had a TT or a need for the generator I would've given it more consideration.

Sponsored

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
I admit if I had a TT or a need for the generator I would've given it more consideration.
Concur. If I had a whole house generator and didn't tow, I wouldn't have ordered a PB either.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
PB Is TT’s best friend?
For a full timer (5 years now) it's hard to describe how different it feels when stormy weather arrives and you look out the window and see that sweet insurance power grid parked and waiting to guarantee you comfort. (fairly common on the gulf coast where I am much of the time)

Not to mention it's a fantastic ride.

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
Recently the family went out camping for the weekend, my son has a Coachmen class C and I have the Cat 28 behind my PB. After an hour of listening to that noisy ass generator on the coachman, i quietly got out of my lounge, grab an extension cord and shut off that generator. Yes, that 7.2kw ran both my Cat 28 AND his Class C. We enjoyed the rest of our weekend without that generator. Course no air conditioning required on this trip.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Recently the family went out camping for the weekend, my son has a Coachmen class C and I have the Cat 28 behind my PB. After an hour of listening to that noisy ass generator on the coachman, i quietly got out of my lounge, grab an extension cord and shut off that generator. Yes, that 7.2kw ran both my Cat 28 AND his Class C. We enjoyed the rest of our weekend without that generator. Course no air conditioning required on this trip.
Ford F-150 At what speeds does the hybrid work? b3e7f2ee4a85ddac132f8ec48da0c877_w200

Sponsored

RociPB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21-F150-XLT-PowerBoost
every new powerboost owner should try this: keep the power flow screen up while driving, and watch the COLOR of the hybrid battery in the diagram, not just the text that says if it’s on electric or gas. Now when you are driving with the engine on, give it some throttle and watch how the battery instantly turns blue. That is when the engine is getting help from the battery. Now let off the throttle slightly, and see the battery turn green. That’s the engine returning the energy that it borrowed during the heavy accel. When the engine is running at the peak efficiently rpm/throttle etc then it makes the most energy per drop of gas. Engines are very very picky when it comes to peak efficiency, and most of the time the engine is shifting through gears trying to find that sweet spot but it almost never happens. A PowerBoost engine can just float there isolated from the drive train and produce electricity. It’s kind of the same principle behind how diesel electric locos are so damn efficient. It’s all about finding that sweet spot for the engine to do it’s thing.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
It’s a freaking freight train alright! It’s like rolling coal without the soot. I need to get a brush guard up front for all the rams and coyotes in the way.
Sponsored