• Total voters

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If I intended to use the so called Sport Mode as a Sport Mode, then I leave it in 4A. It's definitely an advantage for aggressive driving. It's physics. I even LOVE it for that.

But I don't often use "Sport" mode for sport. Instead I usually view it for what it really actually is..... A transmission shifting strategy that treats the 10r80 as a legitimate 10-speed. My only regret with that particular factory strategy is that Ford thinks I would never just cruise along at 45mph in that mode, so it nixes EV from the equation.

That is very regrettable. If Sport Mode still had EV on the table, I would be in Sport mode 90% of the time.
Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
turbos definitely have a coolant jacket to keep the bearings happy, and that's one reason to run full synthetic; it's capable of withstanding the heat in turbo bearings.

I assume the truck has both belt drive and electric coolant circulators/pumps (in part because the flow through the battery would be thermostatically regulated separately from the engine and that would require both pressure and volumetric control with the engine off (otherwise the battery can go into thermal runaway like the 180,000 Bolts being recalled for battery fires. I don't think the F-150 Hybrid has this problem. It would be great to get some factory doc on the various cooling systems.

If I recall correctly, the PowerBoost has both a conventional 12V starter motor (on the flywheel, not belt-drive, right?) and uses the so-called traction motor to hand stop-start, torque-fill for gear shifts, and electric-only drive. Again, it would be great to read factory doc on the Hybrid. I seem to recall the conventional starter is there for cold weather starts or when the drive motor or battery condition might not be sufficient to provide normal engine starting.

I'm not sure that the a/c compressor is electric, but I assume it is, though what I've noticed is a/c don't pump cold air when the engine is on but stopped. Again, factory doc on these details would be enjoyable.
Good points. I know the A/C is electric, and on mine it runs consistently regardless of the engine on or off. You’re right about the fact that it does have a traditional starter, I neglected to mention that. I’ve never “heard” mine use it (which isn’t to say it hasn’t), but for all intents and purposes of “auto stop start” while you’re driving/leaving a stop light, it doesn’t seem it’s going to ever use the traditional starter in those conditions as I understand it.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I honestly don't know if I can claim that I have heard the traditional bendix-starter-flywheel engagement on my truck. Surely under some circumstance it has been used, but the old school cranking sound isn't something I have witnessed.
I'm guessing that many/most starts are the BISG starting method?

Ford F-150 Feature Requests for the F-150 Hybrid Screenshot_20211201-140433_OneDrive

OP
OP
F-150 Prius

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I honestly don't know if I can claim that I have heard the traditional bendix-starter-flywheel engagement on my truck. Surely under some circumstance it has been used, but the old school cranking sound isn't something I have witnessed.
I'm guessing that many/most starts are the BISG starting method?

Screenshot_20211201-140433_OneDrive.jpg
Thanks!
The belt-starter means there's no flywheel/ring-gear starter. I wonder if this means the traction motor never functions as start-stop, just traction (this would not be a practical limit, just a design decision perhaps for packaging (size and space) or perhaps for redundancy (e.g. the cold weather start problem with lithium batteries) or for limits on adapting the 10spd trans to hybrid (which clearly is still a work in progress.)

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks!
The belt-starter means there's no flywheel/ring-gear starter. I wonder if this means the traction motor never functions as start-stop, just traction (this would not be a practical limit, just a design decision perhaps for packaging (size and space) or perhaps for redundancy (e.g. the cold weather start problem with lithium batteries) or for limits on adapting the 10spd trans to hybrid (which clearly is still a work in progress.)
We actually do have the traditional flywheel/bendix starter, but it's use is only for very specific instances. I'm looking for a document that I'm certain I have read that states that Ford breaks down the various starting circumstances into 4 possibilities. And only one of the 4 would result in the traditional flywheel/starter being in play. And if I remember correctly, even the belt drive starter isn't needed if the truck is moving already because the drivetrain can spin the crankshaft using the same clutch that is used to disengage the crankshaft from the transmission during EV mode.
Technically the EV motor is yet another starter.

Sponsored

SouthParkCo2

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicles
2022 F150 PB XLT / 2023 HiHy Limited
Occupation
Retired
We actually do have the traditional flywheel/bendix starter, but it's use is only for very specific instances. I'm looking for a document that I'm certain I have read that states that Ford breaks down the various starting circumstances into 4 possibilities. And only one of the 4 would result in the traditional flywheel/starter being in play. And if I remember correctly, even the belt drive starter isn't needed if the truck is moving already because the drivetrain can spin the crankshaft using the same clutch that is used to disengage the crankshaft from the transmission during EV mode.
Technically the EV motor is yet another starter.

I'm confused [often] about what this starter does that's pictured in some of the literature ...

Ford F-150 Feature Requests for the F-150 Hybrid Capture.JPG

Attachments

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm confused [often] about what this starter does that's pictured in some of the literature ...

Capture.JPG
Just think of it as a starter that turns the motor over from the other end of the crankshaft rather than the conventional gear driven starter on the flywheel end of the crankshaft.

Remember the movies of folks starting their Model T Fords by standing in front of it and turning a crank by hand? :)

SouthParkCo2

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicles
2022 F150 PB XLT / 2023 HiHy Limited
Occupation
Retired
Just think of it as a starter that turns the motor over from the other end of the crankshaft rather than the conventional gear driven starter on the flywheel end of the crankshaft.

Remember the movies of folks starting their Model T Fords by standing in front of it and turning a crank by hand? :)
I used to start my Uncles Farmall F20 when I was a kid. I know a little too much about the joys of a hand crank ................ [no movies needed]

Ford F-150 Feature Requests for the F-150 Hybrid 1638510636795

2mileshigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB - Antimatter Blue
If I intended to use the so called Sport Mode as a Sport Mode, then I leave it in 4A. It's definitely an advantage for aggressive driving. It's physics. I even LOVE it for that.

But I don't often use "Sport" mode for sport. Instead I usually view it for what it really actually is..... A transmission shifting strategy that treats the 10r80 as a legitimate 10-speed. My only regret with that particular factory strategy is that Ford thinks I would never just cruise along at 45mph in that mode, so it nixes EV from the equation.

That is very regrettable. If Sport Mode still had EV on the table, I would be in Sport mode 90% of the time.
Agreed regarding Sport Mode, a true 10 speed, and more EV in that mode.

Sport to me means more torque, via distribution/shifting strategies, etc., at the rear wheels on a 2wd, or more balanced power on an AWD, but not more 4wd on dry pavement. Ford seems to have a different approach to 4A than on my 2009 F150 and my more recent Ram and GMC. The '09 F150, Ram and GMC 4A strategy applied power to the front axle only in the event of traction loss, not full time. 4A in my '21 truck behaves like full time 4wd, not 'as needed' or AWD, and I can feel the front drive straining on dry pavement in 4A even when there is absolutely no front (or rear) traction loss. In my truck the front wheels are clearly locked when in 4A as indicated by the front drive pulling me through a leisurely 5 MPH turn on a dry parking lot. It's a sensation I'm definitely not used to in that it feels like old school full time 4wd (imbalanced on dry pavement) but I'll remain open as to whether it is an improvement.

Last edited:

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
In my truck the front wheels are clearly locked when in 4A as indicated by the front drive pulling me through a leisurely 5 MPH turn on a dry parking lot.
That's more likely the transfer case you feel binding. I had the same feeling when making sharp turns in my Audi on dry pavement. It was fine driving, just parking maneuvers that caused it.

Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Someone mentioned there's a possible route that wouldn't require major cuts. I was thinking of a hole with a grommet just large enough to pass through a wire then a 90 degree connector to the 30A, but I haven't found a right-angle L14-30P.
That could have been me. This spring I will enhance my setup and go down through this hole that leads underneath the truck.

Ford F-150 Feature Requests for the F-150 Hybrid 20210828_195634

A 90-degree L14-30P would be nice - I will try to find one.

If interested, you can read of my 120V to the travel trailer adventure here:

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...wering-a-trailer-while-driving-it-works.6462/

-Eric

OP
OP
F-150 Prius

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms

2mileshigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB - Antimatter Blue
Although not specific to the PB, how about updating BoxLink to add a bed rail system in order to expand gear and storage options.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That does seem like a bug or at least a needless restriction. Seems to me FordPass should simply have a page for every page on the touchscreen (within reason) so that every vehicle function is accessible from the app.
There's so many feature ideas for the app, things like remote view of the cameras (live or video playback of events and notifications) or things like integrating nav waypoints from apps on the phone.
e.g. the calendar app has an appointment with a location and a time, the vehicle nav could keep track of when to leave to arrive on time and present that destination when the driver enters the vehicle or show all destinations for the day and suggest rescheduling to re-sequence the driving for fewer miles total, e.g. starting the day with the nearest appointment location and finishing the day with the least exposure to peak hour traffic bottlenecks. "Little" features like this, used across a million vehicles or even a small fleet of contractor vehicles for AT&T for example, could reduce traffic congestion and reduce fuel consumption.)​
The "that look" thing is something that has put the Lightning at the top of the list of "considered EVs" … and not people looking for a pickup or a Ford, but looking for an electric vehicle. Once you've seen it demonstrated, features like onboard power quickly come to mind when you're standing in your home, cursing the dark and fumbling with the flashlight on your phone. I'm sure it's an effective differentiator for Ford, and I'm surprised Toyota didn't copy the idea for their new Tundra. I assume GM will eventually swallow their pride and follow the leader, "yeah, we got onboard power, too."
Well, it indeed turns out that it's a "bug".
Once all modules are updated to the latest update, the Bluetooth FordPass ProPower Onboard functionality returns!

Ford F-150 Feature Requests for the F-150 Hybrid D17C6BFB-2BD1-4D05-8E8A-7EB1CD2B5E26

WDWFordGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
I think the engine stop-starts in all modes, certainly in sport. The only "work-around" I have is to left-foot brake and tip in the throttle enough to wake up the engine before I need it (e.g. merging or block-to-block 4-way stop intersections.)
Put it in Tow/Haul mode, it won't go into electric in that mode
Sponsored