First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I've been thinking of various things to improve or change. Here's a rough draft list I've compiled so far. I figure a poll and let others add their ideas for vote for existing ideas.
Sponsored

kosekjm

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A 3.5 Powerboost FX4 5.5' Bed
Occupation
Software Engineer

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Switch off auto stop/start??? It’s a hybrid, stopping the engine is its biggest asset…
That's so true that there isn't even a start/stop button on the dash. It's THE start/stop F150. :)

Great list though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
F-150 Prius

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Switch off auto stop/start??? It’s a hybrid, stopping the engine is its biggest asset…
Except when you're backing-n-filling a trailer or you're on a 35 degree dirt trail … both of which I've done recently and loathed having to get the engine back on without upsetting traction. Also, in stop-n-go suburbia, going one block at a time between empty 4-way stop intersections, the lag of the engine going off is idiotic … or merging into traffic after a stop/yield … the lag before acceleration is a guessing game rather than a smooth power delivery.

OP
OP
F-150 Prius

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
That's so true that there isn't even a start/stop button on the dash. It's THE start/stop F150. :)
Right. But any great strength is an equally great weakness and even if it's 90% a bad idea to turn off stop-start, there are occasions when you want to have something under the right pedal, not a "ok, just a sec…" throttle lag.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I guess I haven't tried but are you saying that in tow/haul mode or sport mode even, the ICE doesn't light up the moment you are off the brakes?

OP
OP
F-150 Prius

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I guess I haven't tried but are you saying that in tow/haul mode or sport mode even, the ICE doesn't light up the moment you are off the brakes?
I think the engine stop-starts in all modes, certainly in sport. The only "work-around" I have is to left-foot brake and tip in the throttle enough to wake up the engine before I need it (e.g. merging or block-to-block 4-way stop intersections.)

Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
The only thing I'd like to have and miss from my 2019 Ram 1500 Limited is air suspension. The rest of the list is of little interest to me.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think the engine stop-starts in all modes, certainly in sport. The only "work-around" I have is to left-foot brake and tip in the throttle enough to wake up the engine before I need it (e.g. merging or block-to-block 4-way stop intersections.)
We might have different firmware, but I went for a drive about an hour ago and experimented with tow-haul and Sport. Although if I come to a complete stop, and especially if I have firm pressure on the brakes while sitting still, the ICE does turn off. But all I have to do is let off the brake and the ICE lights before I even touch the throttle. Same for just inching forward, rather than an EV version of creeping forward the truck is in ICE mode and is a traditional roll.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't like a button for EV Defeat, because that might be handy, but if I'm towing I don't think the current strategy will cause me any issues with coming out of the hole, so to speak, or inching backwards/forwards because it seems to be an ICE truck no differently than my 2018 was with Start/stop.

OP
OP
F-150 Prius

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
We might have different firmware, but I went for a drive about an hour ago and experimented with tow-haul and Sport. Although if I come to a complete stop, and especially if I have firm pressure on the brakes while sitting still, the ICE does turn off. But all I have to do is let off the brake and the ICE lights before I even touch the throttle. Same for just inching forward, rather than an EV version of creeping forward the truck is in ICE mode and is a traditional roll.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't like a button for EV Defeat, because that might be handy, but if I'm towing I don't think the current strategy will cause me any issues with coming out of the hole, so to speak, or inching backwards/forwards because it seems to be an ICE truck no differently than my 2018 was with Start/stop.
Now that you mention differences, I think the "Auto Hold" contributes to the lag from a dead stop and it makes it difficult to inch forward in a parking spot, but it's painfully slow to switch off and on (buried in the vehicle sub-menu instead of being a top level button.) I've learned a very light brush of the throttle is enough to release Auto Hold, but it's still a trick to inch ahead precisely.
I'm mostly noticing when it shuts off while coasting or braking before turning through a sharp turn or up an on-ramp. I've developed a driving work-around so it's not as if this is a thorn in my side, but the truck could "know" by GPS and street map data and even learn to stay on for on-ramps, etc. but I'm not expecting that level of sophistication/complication I imagine 90% of drivers would not want. It would be great to just squeeze the button on the shift lever to say "don't stop the engine again until after the accelerator is depressed" or to toggle stop-start and Electric mode off and on with each tap of that shift button. I get almost diesel-like lag, but only for a second while the engine restarts, then the turbos spool up (I wonder if Ford looked at electric motors to spool up the boost?) Really, the solution is a 100hp electric motor and at least 10kWh battery so the motor provides deep torque fill, then the turbos can take it easy and the engine can avoid 0 mpg scenarios. That seems to be one of the top feature requests getting votes.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bigger battery and motor would be a huge improvement for the actual hybrid side of the equation. (remember, I bought this truck primarily for the 7.2KW grid on wheels!) No doubt about it.
And yes, if I use the that auto-hold feature, which is awesome when appropriate, it does come at the price of the delayed response. You have to be so deliberate with your throttle because technically the truck is in adaptive cruise mode and is very conservative about launching as the vehicle ahead of you leaves. It's so conservative that I can't wait on it because it looks like I'm one of those cellphone surfers at the traffic stop. Lol
Sponsored