First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Lawyer
Power, torque, on board power for dispersed camping. The hybrid is why I moved on from a 15 Lariat 3.5 ecoboost, which I really liked. An easy decision for me.

The interactive driving experience and feedback on driving behavior is pretty cool also, as is driving around in “all electric” in a powerful truck. The hybrid has a useful versatility for me, it’s fun and unique.

Downside: being a new generation I expect some issues, but so far so good.
Sponsored

blueovalguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
Power, torque, on board power for dispersed camping. The hybrid is why I moved on from a 15 Lariat 3.5 ecoboost, which I really liked. An easy decision for me.

The interactive driving experience and feedback on driving behavior is pretty cool also, as is driving around in “all electric” in a powerful truck. The hybrid has a useful versatility for me, it’s fun and unique.

Downside: being a new generation I expect some issues, but so far so good.
I agree. It’s just a unique driving experience, plus nothing out there like it. And I like having something a little different than the other 10 million trucks on the road.

I woulda thought same thing on new generation, but my wife’s 20’ expedition seems to have a million times more quirks/issues than my new generation Powerboost. And that’s the normal 3.5 and sync 3 that was around for while. Almost feels like luck of the draw based on what others post on here too.

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost FX4 & 2024 Escape Platinum
Occupation
Instructional Designer
I would never have thought I would be a hybrid owner, but since Ford did the unimaginable in a full size pickup I absolutely got the PowerBoost in my King Ranch. If I can get better mileage that suits me. I average 18.2 in town with my old 2018 5.0 and I am running about 45% electric around town this first few days so 22 - 24 is not out of reach. It will take a small change in driving habits getting used to maximizing the electric drive. I also get the added bonus of the 7.2Kw generator.

As usual, it all comes down to what each of us want to pay and our perceived value of our purchase.

I know that Ford never expected to sell this many PowerBoost.

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I wanted the Hybrid but it's not available in a Reg Cab short bed.

So I went with the coyote.

Turbos do make me a little nervous though so I'm pretty happy with the alternative.

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
Hey guys,
I have already ordered my truck (5.0 V8) however it has not been scheduled for production yet and I’m strongly considering changing to the Hybrid motor. I’ve watched various videos on the topic but not sure I’m sold just yet on the MPG increase. I would really appreciate your opinions on hybrid vs 5.0? I would also be curious if anyone else did an ROI on going with the hybrid engine? I’m estimating roughly 18,400 miles at 24 MPG at $3 per gallon as the ROI for the upgrade.
I've seen some pretty amazing milage numbers from the coyote.

But that 700 miles between fillups would be pretty tempting.

Sponsored

KielerFarms

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 f-150 waiting on 2021
Occupation
Beef farmer
Really depends on how you are using it. Much city driving and if you will use the generator then Powerboost. MPG is probably a wash for my driving habits. Power? 5.0 has plenty right up to maximum tow rating. 5.0 sounds awesome. I chose the 5.0 but the powerboost was tempting and I might have went that way if it wasn't 1st year out. You will probably be happy with either.

Vspec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT PB SC LWB
The 5.0 has nothing on the PB, except maybe sound.

All joking aside, the PB is more than just an engine variation as previously said, it is a whole different package. In town where any larger displacement engine is the most inefficient, is where the PB shines, I've seen 10.8 l/km while doing the school run. This is miles better than my r53 Pathfinder could ever muster with ~ half the power and more than half the torque.

Now if Ford was really chasing fuel efficiency, they would have put the hybrid powertrain on the 2.7 EB.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
The 5.0 has nothing on the PB, except maybe sound.

All joking aside, the PB is more than just an engine variation as previously said, it is a whole different package. In town where any larger displacement engine is the most inefficient, is where the PB shines, I've seen 10.8 l/km while doing the school run. This is miles better than my r53 Pathfinder could ever muster with ~ half the power and more than half the torque.

Now if Ford was really chasing fuel efficiency, they would have put the hybrid powertrain on the 2.7 EB.
@Vspec,

Great point. Given what is shaping up to be the commercial success of these Hybrids, I fully expect Ford to do just that - expand the offering to include a 2.7.

It will be all the more important given the agenda of the current Administration and the ever-increasing pressure of CAFE standards to cut carbon. Increased electrification is the only solution.

Now if they could just get enough of those damned chips ...

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
Great discussion. Thank you all for your input. I think I’m going to keep my original order with the 5.0. I do like all the cool gadgets that come with the hybrid but I’m already waaayyy over budget.

Tecdiver

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Corporate shill
Assuming the PB gets 24 MPG and the 5.0 gets 18 MPG and the 18,400 are annual miles. The breakeven at $3 a gallon would be 3.26 years. The PB would use 766 gallons for a total of $2300. The 5.0 would use 1022 gallons for a total of $3066. The annual difference is $766 and the PB costs $2500 more. $2500/$766 is 3.26 years.
BUT - the whole selling point for the hybrid isn't just for the improve mileage, it's also for the improved torque, pro power onboard. In my personal opinion, when Ford was engineering the truck - they built the hybrid functionality around the pro-power feature, not the other way around. So the improved mileage is just icing on the cake.

Sponsored

Kefoster2

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
Thanks guys. I’m not too concerned with the MPH. I do like all the cool features as well. I may go ahead and make the change. Do you think calling the dealer and changing would put me further back in the F150 backlog or would it just be a simple pricing update since I don’t even have a VIN?
With the current chip shortage I don't think it will change delivery date. You may be better off looking around for a PB.

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
Great discussion. Thank you all for your input. I think I’m going to keep my original order with the 5.0. I do like all the cool gadgets that come with the hybrid but I’m already waaayyy over budget.
Did you include the larger fuel tank? The locking rear with 3.73 gears? the propower 2.0kw? If you did then subtract the cost for these options from the upcharge for the powerboost as they are included in the upgrade (you also get most of the upgrades associated with the max tow pkg)

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
Did you include the larger fuel tank? The locking rear with 3.73 gears? the propower 2.0kw? If you did then subtract the cost for these options from the upcharge for the powerboost as they are included in the upgrade (you also get most of the upgrades associated with the max tow pkg)
Thanks Rich1982. I did notice the 2kw propower was included but missed the other items

Xylo133

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 3.5 Eco
BUT - the whole selling point for the hybrid isn't just for the improve mileage, it's also for the improved torque, pro power onboard. In my personal opinion, when Ford was engineering the truck - they built the hybrid functionality around the pro-power feature, not the other way around. So the improved mileage is just icing on the cake.
IF you look back at the OP, he was questioning MPG and ROI so I provided data based on averages. I'm not providing ANY opinions on the subjective choices as to which is better.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
People have mentioned this, but I wanna emphasize the "bonus benefits" of a hybrid powertrain:

• Regenerative braking eases the burden on your brakes (sometimes significantly)
  • Electric Mode saves engine wear and tear
  • Electric Idle...once you have that (especially in a hot state), you can't go back.
  • Lower center of gravity due to battery weight adds to stability of vehicle
  • Quietness of cabin in electric only mode is addicting and also a neat party trick
  • Electric torque allows for higher ratio gearing (3:73) without sacrificing efficiency

Also...the quietness of the truck in general. There are people who love to have their trucks super loud...I prefer everything to be as quiet as possible. It also really adds to the "sleeper" nature of this truck. My friends and family are absolutely astonished by this thing in Sports mode, and many people just don't hear it coming.
Sponsored