I hate my Powerboost

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
The only thing I don’t like about the 10R80 behind my 5.0L is the 1-3 skipshift at low speeds. It sort of jumps/lurches at times, my one buddy says his 2021 XLT with the regular 3.5 Eco exhibits the same problem at low throttle.
Yeah I'm not sure how it decides to skip from 1-3, as it almost seems random. I've had some rough shifts in my mid year 22 usually when cold shifting from 1-3. I did have one rough downshift into 4th so far, but overall I'm pretty happy with this trans. Interested to see how this continues to play out.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
One of the pcm updates last year gave my 10r80 the ability to NOT skip 2nd gear in Normal mode.
I always wanted that for the last 3 trucks I've had with this tranny.

On my 2018 it wasn't as big a deal because I drove that truck in the so-called Sport Mode every day.
But Ford nixed EV cruising in the Powerboost in Sport Mode, so I had to live with the skip shift.

But now Normal Mode doesn't skip 2nd if you simply roll into the throttle from a start. You can take off easy, but you need to be increasing the throttle smoothly before and during the first shift. It'll grab 2nd very smoothly and so the truck doesn't fall on its face when it gets into 3rd.

The only thing that will thwart the technique is if someone in front of you is impeding you from the necessary pace. Nothing you can do about that but maybe let them get out in front of you a bit before you start forward.

Once you experience it and practice, you will really enjoy how smooooth 1,2,3 can be. :)

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Yeah I'm not sure how it decides to skip from 1-3, as it almost seems random. I've had some rough shifts in my mid year 22 usually when cold shifting from 1-3. I did have one rough downshift into 4th so far, but overall I'm pretty happy with this trans. Interested to see how this continues to play out.
I have found if I am applying more throttle in certain situations it will go into 2nd gear, but if I’m just cruising and not tipping into the throttle much it’ll skip the gear. Not usually an issue, it’s more in parking lots where it sits in 1, revs up, then jumps into 3. That’s what we were whining in unison about, both our trucks sort of lurch and speed up when you don’t want them to in that situation. Overall I love this transmission, that is my only gripe. The shifts are smooth otherwise and it’s always in the right gear.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
My experience is pretty similar to most of those described above, but honestly guys, we shouldn't have to 'learn' how to apply the throttle to get smooth acceleration in 2023. The truck should just be smooth without the extra thought and effort...

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There's not many Hybrids that must be programmed to work with a somewhat traditional transmission. Aren't most of them mated to a CVT of some type?

Sponsored

SRMD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Sequoia, 2019 Outback, 1998 XJ
Does skipping 2nd really save that much fuel? I doubt it. Maybe if someone was running ECO mode, but not normal mode. It is probably the only thing I don’t like about the transmission. Otherwise, it is very smooth and the transition from electric to hybrid is imperceptible, if you could not hear the exhaust from the engine running.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Just to be clear, I want it on the record that I still hate the OP's Powerboost. Not Snakebitten's though. His truck is cool AF.
While not as cool as @Snakebitten's truck*, our Powerboost is pretty cool, too!

In all seriousness, I wouldn't call the PB/10r80 combo 100% smooth as butta. Though I will say it's smooth 96% of the time, and 98%+ of the time it is smart/crisp/strong/firm/accurate/intuitive.

I'll take this any day over a super-smooth, but gear-hunting/over-reving/slow-shifting slush-bucket of a transmission.

*few are! :LOL:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
While I bathe here in the praise heeped on my sweet Powerboost land yacht, it seems a bit strange, since down here in these parts it hardly draws a second glance.
A dolled up F150 is as common as a Camry.

Still, you guys are the ones that know all F150's are not the same. 😉

If it's missing that foot-long badge down at the bottom of the front door? 😁

Vin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
While not as cool as @Snakebitten's truck*, our Powerboost is pretty cool, too!

I'll take this any day over a super-smooth, but gear-hunting/over-reving/slow-shifting slush-bucket of a transmission.

*few are! :LOL:

Snakebitten said: "If it's missing that foot-long badge down at the bottom of the front door? 😁"
EricR's truck is now insulting my truck's "slush box" and Snakebitten's truck is getting a bit pretentious (see above)?!?!?

Maybe I shouldn't just hate the OP's Powerboost???

To reiterate, I do HATE the OP's truck. It's the kind of truck that would talk on a speakerphone in public or sit in whatever seat it wants on American Airlines because it doesn't understand that not every airline is Southwest. Just saying.

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum (job 2)
EricR's truck is now insulting my truck's "slush box" and Snakebitten's truck is getting a bit pretentious (see above)?!?!?

Maybe I shouldn't just hate the OP's Powerboost???

To reiterate, I do HATE the OP's truck. It's the kind of truck that would talk on a speakerphone in public or sit in whatever seat it wants on American Airlines because it doesn't understand that not every airline is Southwest. Just saying.
So true. OP’s truck is definitely the kind of truck that microwaves fish in the office break room, and refuses to zipper merge going into a construction zone.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'll go give a talkin to the truck and maybe get it too humble up a bit.

I think it's getting a bit cocky because everything is working so well.

We all know that could change in a single key cycle. Lol

RuggedGoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 XLT 157" 302a
If it's missing that foot-long badge down at the bottom of the front door? 😁
JEEEZ, man. Way to flex hahaha. I must admit my eyes always go straight there too when any 14th gen passes by.

But honestly my current 21mpg at half the price of a powerboost is feeling totally ok. Too bad i need cam phasers tho. 😬

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
JEEEZ, man. Way to flex hahaha. I must admit my eyes always go straight there too when any 14th gen passes by.

But honestly my current 21mpg at half the price of a powerboost is feeling totally ok. Too bad i need cam phasers tho. 😬
I gotta be careful what I say over here. Lol
I forget sometimes that I have Ecoboost friends in the neighborhood. 😳🤣
I'll go on record and say that I am a huge Ecoboost fan boy and was long before, and several trucks before the Powerboost ever showed up on the scene.
A Powerboost is me having my cake and eating it too.

Vin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I forget sometimes that I have Ecoboost friends in the neighborhood. 😳🤣
Now I'm even more offended. I have a 5.0 ZeroBoost and your egotistical, elitist Powerboost along with his Ecoboost sidekick didn't even notice!!!

The OP's truck (which I HATE) might be the kind of truck that uses a fake "service animal" vest to take his untrained mutt everywhere and vapes in the grocery store, but your truck might be the kind of truck that says the word "literally" when it means the exact opposite.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just keep digging my 🕳 deeper.
I think I should put the shovel down. 🤔
Sponsored