Terrible MPG in my 2021 F150 Powerboost

MitchCox

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum
Mine is not raised or leveled and I have the stock tires. I don't get 24 every time, but I am averaging around 20 - 22 in the city. Not bad for a heavy 4X4, getting much better MPG than i was getting in my 2015 4x2 F-150 XLT that I traded in.
Ford F-150 Terrible MPG in my 2021 F150 Powerboost IMG_9869.JPG
Sponsored

rainjer

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Powerboost 4X4 Lariat Sport 502A
I have been very happy with my 2022 Lariat Sport Powerboost so far. I have had the truck for 12 days now. I just surpassed 500 miles. I picked the truck up with a full tank of gas and 2.2 miles on the odometer. I put gas in it last Saturday and got 19.2 MPG. I decided not to reset Trip 2 so I can track the lifetime numbers. I reset Trip 1. So far since I filled up I am getting 20.6 MPG based on the trip 1 data. On my daily 10.7 mile commute to work I am getting 22.5-23.5 MPG with about 25-30% electric. My commute home, also 10.7 miles, I get 20-21 for some reason and only 10-15% electric. For me I, am coming from a 2015 Toyota Tacoma. I got an average 17.6 MPG average over the 83,000 miles I drove it. If I can average anything over 20MPG it is a big win in my book since the truck is bigger with almost twice the HP and torque.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Mine is not raised or leveled and I have the stock tires. I don't get 24 every time, but I am averaging around 20 - 22 in the city. Not bad for a heavy 4X4, getting much better MPG than i was getting in my 2015 4x2 F-150 XLT that I traded in.
IMG_9869.JPG
Is your truck bleeding?

Ronin1973

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 XL STX SuperCrew 4x4 5.0 Avalanche
IMG_9869.JPG
Same. I don't consider mods "improving" the truck. I don't think it needs to be imrproved...I like it as is, that is why I bought it. I am completetly stock and I get excellent mpg. Depends on what you care about. You want to mod your truck? Have at it and except the consequences. Modding your truck and then complaining that you don't get good mpg is just silly. Live with your choices and move on.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Same. I don't consider mods "improving" the truck. I don't think it needs to be imrproved...I like it as is, that is why I bought it. I am completetly stock and I get excellent mpg. Depends on what you care about. You want to mod your truck? Have at it and except the consequences. Modding your truck and then complaining that you don't get good mpg is just silly. Live with your choices and move on.
Agree. The only mod I will do is get rid of the crap OEM tires. Just don't know how soon.

Sponsored

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
Machine Designer - Ford Motor Co.
I have been very happy with my 2022 Lariat Sport Powerboost so far. I have had the truck for 12 days now. I just surpassed 500 miles. I picked the truck up with a full tank of gas and 2.2 miles on the odometer. I put gas in it last Saturday and got 19.2 MPG. I decided not to reset Trip 2 so I can track the lifetime numbers. I reset Trip 1. So far since I filled up I am getting 20.6 MPG based on the trip 1 data. On my daily 10.7 mile commute to work I am getting 22.5-23.5 MPG with about 25-30% electric. My commute home, also 10.7 miles, I get 20-21 for some reason and only 10-15% electric. For me I, am coming from a 2015 Toyota Tacoma. I got an average 17.6 MPG average over the 83,000 miles I drove it. If I can average anything over 20MPG it is a big win in my book since the truck is bigger with almost twice the HP and torque.
Hey, I'm just curious, check your elevation difference and road % of grade between home and work. A key variable that many people don't take into account when it comes to MPG, is elevation gain and loss and the GRADE % of the road.
I'm in SE lower Michigan, and when driving up North, especially on the west side of the state.
I always got better MPG coming home than going up. It's higher in elevation. even though the road appears level, it's not always. Flat and level are not the same thing lol.

rainjer

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Powerboost 4X4 Lariat Sport 502A
My work is at 20ft above sea level. My house is about 100ft above sea level. My commute is fairly flat both ways. It is about 33% rural/city driving (25-35 MPH & 33% freeway (60-65 MPH) & 33% highway driving (55-60 MPH) in that order on the way to work & opposite home. My theory is the truck warm up faster at the slower speed going to work than coming home since I jump right on the highway.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
I have a 2" level and 285/65-20's on my truck. Mileage depends heavily on where I drive, honestly. I live in the foothills of the Ozarks, so I do a lot of up and down driving; and a lot of short distances.

Over the first 10,000 miles, I think got 16.9 mpg. That included break in and getting used to the nuances of Powerboost driving. I typically, around town, average 17.5-18.5 mpg per tank. I was in South Georgia over the holiday (where it is mostly flat) and was easily getting 23-26 mpg on most days. On the way to Georgia, I did 20.1 mpg on the highway (75-85mph) and 19.8 mpg on the way back.

Powerboost doesn't kick in on the highway, especially when you use cruise, which I do a lot on long trips. I have done some long/steep downhills on the interstate, which would be the perfect time for electric to kick in, but it doesn't.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
I have a 2" level and 285/65-20's on my truck. Mileage depends heavily on where I drive, honestly. I live in the foothills of the Ozarks, so I do a lot of up and down driving; and a lot of short distances.

Over the first 10,000 miles, I think got 16.9 mpg. That included break in and getting used to the nuances of Powerboost driving. I typically, around town, average 17.5-18.5 mpg per tank. I was in South Georgia over the holiday (where it is mostly flat) and was easily getting 23-26 mpg on most days. On the way to Georgia, I did 20.1 mpg on the highway (75-85mph) and 19.8 mpg on the way back.

Powerboost doesn't kick in on the highway, especially when you use cruise, which I do a lot on long trips. I have done some long/steep downhills on the interstate, which would be the perfect time for electric to kick in, but it doesn't.
ive found the cruise control system to be too aggressive with Throttle input for the electric system to keep up. If I drive without cruise I can typically make it stay in electric only driving for longer And brake tap on hills to trick the system into changing over to electric rather than staying regen. Just depends what you want, hands free driving comfort vs best fuel economy possible.

MitchCox

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum
Is your truck bleeding?
It is the blood of the fallen GMC, Dodge, Chevy, Honda, Acura, Lexus, etc owners that try to race me. LOL.. this thing is fast and can whip all trucks and most cars. But in all honesty, I haven't had the opportunity to race anyone. Not really my style unless they are complete jerks.

This is a Sam's Club parking lot in Kentucky, so someone may dropped some juice there or got back from hunting and decided this was a good spot to bleed out a deer, who knows. ha ha...

Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
ive found the cruise control system to be too aggressive with Throttle input for the electric system to keep up. If I drive without cruise I can typically make it stay in electric only driving for longer And brake tap on hills to trick the system into changing over to electric rather than staying regen. Just depends what you want, hands free driving comfort vs best fuel economy possible.
That is how I handle (like most folks I assume) getting the truck into electric mode around town. It is almost second nature now. On the highway, I have dropped out of cruise, tapped the brakes, coasted, but at the speed I am running the truck just doesn't want to roll into electric mode. I realize I can get better mileage going slower, but when I have a truck full of kids and the speed limit is 75, I'm booking it to Nana's house.

BlackPB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Contractor
Man I have to agree with the original guy here. A lot of non sense responses for a simple question. I have the same question though. I completely understand that with my 2” level and 305/55r20 on factory wheels the mpg would drop some. But I thought the pitiful reverse beeper alone wouldn’t allow the truck to get below 20mpg. Seriously, A decrease from 27mpg on the regular down to 16.9 average I am a bit shocked. So my question is, does that sound completely normal for that modification or should I be chasing an issue somewhere?
Ford F-150 Terrible MPG in my 2021 F150 Powerboost 609A28AD-31E9-4DDB-8402-12E6C0617D81

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I got my 21 KR Powerboost back in Feb of this year. I instantly put a Readylift 2” level and 295/65/20 tires on it. I completely understand this will bring the MPGs down from the marketed 24 MPG but I’ve never got above 20 MPG. Hell, I hardly get above 17 MPG. 90% of my driving is on a highway going about 70 MPG and I don’t tow anything. I called the dealer and they have no real advice and say that if there are no lights on then they can’t check to see if anything is wrong. Is anyone else getting 17/16 MPG in their Powerboost? It’s very disappointing.
I have very few miles on my truck so far, about 250. That said, I'm getting over 20 mpg so far. But then, my truck is 100% stock.

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
I skimmed most of the pages here and one thing I don't see: the drive ratio. If you have 3.73, that's going to make a difference from 3.31 (just the simple math). Things get a bit more complicated when the engine is working hard, of course. But for general commuting, I think it makes sense that 3.73 will return ~13% worse mileage. So if the 3.31 returns 24mpg, then 3.73 would return 21mpg (super rough estimates, PLENTY of other factors of course!) 4x4 would also make a difference.
Still, for those with super high or super low mileage, please add if you're 4x4 and your ratio's, I think that might help explain some numbers.
Sponsored