Sponsored

s.v.t.

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Building..
Keep in mind... "Ford" doesn't install "chips".

They install 'Modules".

Modules they get from 3rd party suppliers like Bosch.

So if they're shipping a truck missing modules, I wouldn't be too concerned about your local Ford tech plugging in a module...
My contention here is that I don't want my truck being 'pulled apart' - interior/exterior panels to install modules that would have been installed before panels, dashboard, trim, etc., was installed at the factory..

How is the warranty affected by this? Do I get an 'extension' based on whenever they install the module so that feature then works?
Sponsored

Last edited:

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
And to expect details given to customers? What exactly are we gonna tell them beyond supply issues? Everyday is a new problem. We have no idea what we can get or not on a daily basis.
Man, so much this. Having done "small scale" MRP and Purchasing during "normal" times, something can go from being a problem one day, to not being a problem the next, to being a dumpster fire the following. Especially when they had over 30 suppliers not deliver (which, in my experience, they did not know until the vendor told them ON DELIVERY DAY).

D87302

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Mustang Bullitt; 2021 F150 XLT 302A SCrew...
Occupation
Retired
Seems to me that this news is net positive. It sounds like Ford is saying that the choice is:

a) ship out trucks now that need additional modules added at a later date, or
b) wait to deliver those trucks until all modules are ready for delivery.

Ford has been choosing “b”, but now it sounds like they’re moving towards “a”, perhaps to address all of the complaints about long order times.

If it means that I might have use of my truck several months earlier, I think that I would choose early delivery, even if all of the options that I purchase aren’t yet fully operational. Yes, it’s not ideal, but then, neither is it ideal for delivery to take 6-12 months after ordering. So, ultimately, I’m glad that they’re thinking about this newer delivery model.

I can absolutely sympathize with the other argument, that you’re paying for more than is being delivered, at least initially. I suppose those folks might be able to work with their dealers to have those trucks sit at the dealer lot until all of the modules are delivered and installed?
I am now wondering how customers will be informed of the options/features that I purchased aren’t yet fully operational. Will dealers be informed and notify buying customer in writing at time of delivery or will we find out the hard way...

Gman-04

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hopefully a 2021 Lariat, Boeing 767, 2005 BMW325i,
Occupation
pilot
I just went on the Ford site and built the truck i habe on order. Tow mirrors don't seem to be an option anymore.
I ordered a Lariat last December with the upgraded tow mirrors that telescope electrically. When I got my first build date of March 14 they were not shown- a visit to the dealer who called Ford said they would be on the truck.

I also went on the Ford build and buy when they finally put the 2022’s on it to see what had changed on the truck since I had ordered a 2022 using 2021 information. The upgraded mirrors are now not available on a Lariat unless you upgrade to the 502 package, I ordered the 501- who knows what I’ll get.

My build date has changed four times since I received it in January. I had March 14th, then the 21st, then the28th, then April 4th and the latest is back to March 28th.

Gman-04

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
pilot
So it sounds like they’ve rescheduled my truck 4 times in hopes of allocating chips and they’re going to build my truck without those chips anyways…

Cool, can I have my 3/21/22 build week back @Ford Motor Company ?
My 12/21 ordered Lariat has had a build date of March 14, 21, 28, April 4 and last week it is back to March 28.

Sponsored

Gman-04

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
pilot
They have been missing for quite some time but they've been available via the info in the 22 ordering guide. There are a few other issues with the website price and build application.
Upgraded tow mirrors not available unless ordering a Lariat 502 package or higher trim model.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
When I ordered my 502A in November, my dealer told me it could be 6-9 months for delivery so I've got a few months to go before I can get upset. They must have a crystal ball at my dealership that other dealers don't have...or other dealers knew that it might be an issue but chose not to warn their customers. At that time Ford management was saying the chip shortage could be an issue out into 2023 so I'm thinking maybe a lot of dealers chose not to warn the customer for fear of losing a sale.

Gman-04

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
pilot
My fear is once Ford would prioritize building new vehicles that are not yet sold with all features over catching up on missing features for vehicles that have already been sold. From an industrial organization standpoint it is not optimal in this scenario to give top priority to past customers over future near term customers. After all it is easier to PR your way out of a group of unsatisfied customers by chalking it up to a litany of excuses than is to PR your way out of angry investors due to poor current performance.
The next step would be a class action lawsuit that would be drawn out for years.

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
I ordered a Lariat last December with the upgraded tow mirrors that telescope electrically. When I got my first build date of March 14 they were not shown- a visit to the dealer who called Ford said they would be on the truck.

I also went on the Ford build and buy when they finally put the 2022’s on it to see what had changed on the truck since I had ordered a 2022 using 2021 information. The upgraded mirrors are now not available on a Lariat unless you upgrade to the 502 package, I ordered the 501- who knows what I’ll get.

My build date has changed four times since I received it in January. I had March 14th, then the 21st, then the28th, then April 4th and the latest is back to March 28th.
I ordered tow mirrors, i also have an email to my dealer confirming them. If a truck arrives without them ill be seriously pissed. Strapping mirrors to my truck days are over...I hope

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a

You would have been on the November Order Guide. Tow Mirrors were available for all trims, with reqs.

Ford F-150 Ford To Ship Trucks Without Chips (Controlling Non-Safety Critical Features) 1647298395711

The next step would be a class action lawsuit that would be drawn out for years.
That only the Lawyers would win, and owners would get $20 in Ford bucks.

Sponsored

TN Rotty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Crew Cab Plat 6.5'
You would have been on the November Order Guide. Tow Mirrors were available for all trims, with reqs.
It looks like they are on the latest Order guide we can see as well.
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...ide-released-updated-monthly-u-s-canada.5797/

Ford F-150 Ford To Ship Trucks Without Chips (Controlling Non-Safety Critical Features) 1647300718238

They have been missing for quite some time but they've been available via the info in the 22 ordering guide. There are a few other issues with the website price and build application.
Upgraded tow mirrors not available unless ordering a Lariat 502 package or higher trim model.
@Gman-04 - The build and price, as @RossRR states is notorious for being incorrect. It contained a mistake for Adaptive Steering for nearly a year that was just recently corrected.

The order guide as posted above shows that you can get the Tow mirrors across the 3 Lariat packages (High, Medium and Low/Base). The build and price is wrong again (I even tried it and it would not show tow mirrors for me even adding the required 360 cameras and tow packages) and your dealer hopefully knew it was wrong and ordered the mirrors in any event. (Dealers don't use the build and price to order the trucks, but they can blindly use the printouts from it to enter info into their ordering system.)

I also did have a few items missing on one of the pieces of info I got from Ford via my dealer. It turned out the info was not complete and it did appear on my truck and sticker. I hope yours is correct as well - best of luck on your build.

2mileshigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB - Antimatter Blue
My fear is once Ford would prioritize building new vehicles that are not yet sold with all features over catching up on missing features for vehicles that have already been sold. From an industrial organization standpoint it is not optimal in this scenario to give top priority to past customers over future near term customers. After all it is easier to PR your way out of a group of unsatisfied customers by chalking it up to a litany of excuses than is to PR your way out of angry investors due to poor current performance.
Ford has already established they prioritize future customers. They dedicate driveshafts to production vehicles while current owners wait weeks and months for their trucks to be safe, "drivable and sellable" again.

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
Ford has already established they prioritize future customers. They dedicate driveshafts to production vehicles while current owners wait weeks and months for their trucks to be safe, "drivable and sellable" again.

Facts. That's why I'm just going to hold out until 2023 or 2024 when they figure all this stuff out.

Chilidog

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, Lariat, 5.0, Fx4, 502A, Carbonized Gray
When I ordered my 502A in November, my dealer told me it could be 6-9 months for delivery so I've got a few months to go before I can get upset. They must have a crystal ball at my dealership that other dealers don't have...or other dealers knew that it might be an issue but chose not to warn their customers. At that time Ford management was saying the chip shortage could be an issue out into 2023 so I'm thinking maybe a lot of dealers chose not to warn the customer for fear of losing a sale.
Yeah I ordered mine on Jan 3rd and was told delivery in about 12 weeks. What a joke! I still would have ordered even if I was told 6-9 months but some up front honesty would have been nice.

Wvmtneer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Yeah I ordered mine on Jan 3rd and was told delivery in about 12 weeks. What a joke! I still would have ordered even if I was told 6-9 months but some up front honesty would have been nice.
I ordered this past Saturday and was told it would be a 2022. I’m expecting a 6 month wait for a 501a powerboost.
Sponsored