First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Ford Mustang GT500, 2021 F150 SC PB Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Computer chips are everywhere. There are dozens in every car, helping regulate engine temperatures and stabilize suspension systems. They manage water treatment plants, power lines and Internet cables. Almost any product that plugs into a wall now carries a tiny computer inside. The modern world runs on them.

And now there’s not enough of them. Here’s what you need to know about a perfect storm of factors that are pushing up prices for consumers and cutting profits for some of America’s biggest corporations.
What exactly is a semiconductor?
A computer chip, also called a semiconductor or integrated circuit, is a series of electronic circuits printed onto a conducting material, usually silicon. They form the physical building blocks used to make computers and run software. Over the years, chip designers have managed to squeeze more and more circuits into smaller spaces, making computers exponentially faster and cheaper. But the tiny size and complex design laid the groundwork for the current shortage.
Why don’t the chip companies just make more?
Unlike car engines or toys, chips need to be built in factories with highly controlled environments, known as “fabs.” Specks of dust, temperature spikes and even static electricity can damage the intricate workings of semiconductors. Meeting unexpected demand isn’t as simple as setting up another production line and hiring a few more workers. New chip fabs cost billions of dollars and can take two years to build. Right now, fabs are running at full capacity, but it will take months or years before new ones come online to fill the extra demand.
Growing computer-chip shortage alarms Biden and Congress
What role does the pandemic play in the shortage?
When the pandemic started shutting down parts of the global economy last year, most economists thought consumer spending would drop off a cliff as people lost their jobs or stopped buying nonessential goods. Auto companies cut back on production and ordered fewer of the chips needed to make their cars run. At the same time, millions of people forced to work or learn from home poured money they may have otherwise spent on movie tickets or vacations into TVs, computers and video game systems. Electronics companies bought up all extra chips to meet that demand, and when auto companies realized people still wanted cars it was too late. Now, millions of cars are sitting in factory lots, nearly finished except for the computer chips they need.
What other factors led to the shortage?
The pandemic isn’t the only factor at play. New 5G phones use a lot more computer chips than previous generations of handsets. About a quarter of all phones sold in 2020 were 5G-ready, so the industry suddenly put a massive new strain on chip production, said Matt Bryson, a semiconductor company analyst with Wedbush Securities. President Donald Trump’s trade war with China also had an impact. About 10 percent of the world’s chip production comes from SMIC, a semiconductor company that’s partially owned by the Chinese government. In 2020, the U.S. government restricted American companies from selling to SMIC, citing its ties to the Chinese military. Even the demand for cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin is a factor. Warehouses full of computers used to run the extremely complicated calculations that make cryptocurrencies possible are chewing up more and more computer chips each year.

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
I would be worried about who are installing these parts in a middle of a parking lot after the parts come in, probably temp labor force from the streets, not UAW

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 4x4 FX4, 2020 Edge Titanium, 2019 Escape Ti, 2019 Mustang GT PP2
If you read the original post, it says that they're related to basic vehicle functions such as windshield wipers and infotainment.
Which doesn't explain why some truck builds are zipping through like butter while others just sit there for a month.. Wipers and such are pretty basic stuff and should/would affect all models, not just a select few, like mine for example.

Sponsored

Gman73

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger, 2021 Ford F-150 on order
Occupation
Facilities Manager
Well ETA end date just moved from 03-23-21 to 04-20-21 starting to think mine might be one of the ones impacted by shortage

Gman73

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Facilities Manager
My Fully Loaded XLT has been sitting in their yard for a few weeks now and hasn't shipped either. Over 3 months to get built and now stuck in limbo sitting on Ramp59 in Dearbourne with no transit time or ship date yet.

Begining to wonder if mine was built without some modules and is now sitting collecting some rust on the undercarriage.

Would have been nice if Ford could have identified which production weeks at which plants were impacted, at least then we might have an idea on which trucks may be delayed and which wont. Wishful thinking for them to be that transparent.
Well ETA end date just changed from 03-23-21 to 04-20-21 so at minimum another month. Will be 5 months at that point if date doesn’t move again.

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 4x4 FX4, 2020 Edge Titanium, 2019 Escape Ti, 2019 Mustang GT PP2
Try the new tracker here. It now asks for the order nbr as well. Don't know if I should trust it or not, but it now shows my truck as in transit...which would be...amazing.

Gman73

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Facilities Manager

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I was about to be pissed, because the headline implies that new recently manufactured trucks will be lacking the necessary chips and still be sent out to customers anyway. Thankfully that is not the case , and they are retaining the trucks until the parts are available.

I don’t know, I ordered my truck with nearly everything that you can get on a regular cab XLT. The bells and whistles don’t impress me...

Too bad Ford can’t build a totally chip free truck. I would be way more excited about a six speed manual, carbs or mechanical fuel injection and magneto ignition. Heck, they could go all the way and outfit it with acetylene lamps :p

All the cool features have been hobbled by their law department. Given another chance to order, I would have gotten a base XL with manual wind up windows.

Sponsored

tward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ordered Ford F150 Limited
Occupation
Construction
I have bought a new F150 every 3 years for about 21 years now. Placed my order for a new Limited on 03/08/21, Dealer told me 8 to 10 weeks. Got an order # last Friday. ( Had to use pliers to get that)Got into an interesting conversation with the Sales Manager yesterday, his best guess is late May or early June delivery. I informed him my best guess is Late July or early August based on what I see online. Needless to say I will be going to the dark side and test driving a Ram Limited tomorrow that happens to be on the lot with several others and is ready to go. Have not decided yet but maybe Ford has lost my business. Might be time to cancel the order.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I don’t know, I ordered my truck with nearly everything that you can get on a regular cab XLT. The bells and whistles don’t impress me...

Too bad Ford can’t build a totally chip free truck. I would be way more excited about a six speed manual, carbs or mechanical fuel injection and magneto ignition. Heck, they could go all the way and outfit it with acetylene lamps :p

All the cool features have been hobbled by their law department. Given another chance to order, I would have gotten a base XL with manual wind up windows.

I do agree with you to some extent. I think those good old days are quickly passing over the horizon behind us, unfortunately.

In all of my research of the 2021 F-150s, I have only seen ONE XL model that was a base 100 model and didn’t have the 101A or XL convenience package. So far it’s been the only one I saw with roll down windows. Surprised Ford still manufactures that!

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
The big problem with budget trucks is the incentives aren’t there and the dealers will put in bizarre option packages and still add the BS packages to pad their pockets. When I was looking for a 2019 or 2020, I was seeing XLs going for more than XLTs.

It’s almost like they’re hamstringing the lower trim levels deliberately to force buyers into more expensive trucks.

They can make inexpensive trucks still, they just choose not too.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
The big problem with budget trucks is the incentives aren’t there and the dealers will put in bizarre option packages and still add the BS packages to pad their pockets. When I was looking for a 2019 or 2020, I was seeing XLs going for more than XLTs.

It’s almost like they’re hamstringing the lower trim levels deliberately to force buyers into more expensive trucks.

They can make inexpensive trucks still, they just choose not too.

That is absolutely the case. More profit margin the more options you add.

Donnelly713

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
torn on when to order my truck. I don't need it until August/Sept or even as late as October... should I be ordering now with the expectation for delays- or waiting till June for a 2022!? Would it stand to reason I'd get more manufacturing rebates on a late 2021 delivery than an early 2022 delivery- XLT trim.
Sponsored