SCTiger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
https://amp.freep.com/amp/7836909002

Ford is about to ship thousands of F-150s to dealers as pickup demand remains high

July 2, 2021

Despite having relatively barren supplies on dealer lots and dismal sales in June, Ford Motor Co. revealed on Friday a dramatic plan to pivot.

Ford is getting a new supply of semiconductor chips and will now ship thousands of F-Series pickup trucks built and parked in lots in states including Michigan, Kentucky and Missouri, the Free Press has learned. The company did not provide specific numbers of vehicles.

"We're working to get chips into F-Series pickups and get them out to dealers. That's our first priority," said Erich Merkle, U.S. sales analyst at Ford. "We'll see our inventories improve. It'll take time but stock will gradually start to improve the second half of the year."

Ford inventory is at "record lows" right now, he said. "This is having a near-term impact on our sales."

June wasn't pretty for Ford, overall.

The company was down 26.9% year over year, despite the fact that last year at this time was peak pandemic. F-Series trucks, the Holy Grail franchise, plummeted 29.9% to 45,673 F-Series trucks sold in June this year from 65,188 in June 2020.

During the first six months, F-Series dropped 1.5% to 362,032 from 367,387 a year ago.

While Ford has made headlines for its limited vehicle supplies amid supply chain disruption, the company still sold 362,032 F-Series trucks while Ranger sold the most vehicles in the first half of a year since 2005 on total pickup sales of 58,371. That grew 26.9% from a year earlier.

The company noted that it's a lot easier to exhaust inventory in today’s strong sales environment than build it back up. Rebuilding supplies will take the industry well into 2022, Merkle said.

F-150 buyers hungry

Mark Restum is one of many consumers who contributed to the dip in Ford sales.

Restum, 63, loves his 2013 Ford F-150 and he is ready to buy a new one. But the insurance consultant from Denver, Colorado, plans to wait.

"I am shopping for a new F-150 but there’s not much selection at the moment and I’m thinking it might be better to wait," Restum told the Free Press. " I understand the situation with the parts shortage and still have six months before retiring, I'm not mad or disappointed. I'm actually hopeful that the delay now will result in more selection and lower prices later."

When he researches online for trucks in the area for sale, Restum usually gets three to five pages of results that match his search for a vehicle good for taking on vacation and off-roading. Most recently, he had just five possibilities and the costs were high, he said.

Also Friday, Ford said it maintained its industry leader status in average transaction prices, which climbed approximately $6,400 over one year ago to $47,800 per vehicle sold.

Overall retail truck sales grew 2.6% in the first half of the year, totaling 420,403 pickups.

Meanwhile, the all-electric Mustang Mach-E and Bronco Sport solidified their frontrunner status among consumers. They drove Ford brand retail SUV sales to their best first half of the year sales performance in 20 years, Ford said in its release.

Bronco Sport continued to steal buyers from Jeep, based on industry data.

Ford brand retail SUVs grew 37% over 2020 on sales of 391,190 SUVs in the first half of the year. And Bronco Sport sold 60,514 while Mustang Mach-E sold 12,975.

Overwhelmingly, industry data shows Bronco Sport is taking customers from Jeep more than any other competitor. This is what Ford CEO Jim Farley predicted when he talked to investors last year.

The baby brother to the Bronco is turning on dealer lots within 15 days.

While the bestselling F-Series trucks will always provide a steady revenue stream for Ford, the 118-year-old automaker is also moving aggressively to make its mark in the sale of all-electric vehicles.

Ford sold 56,570 electrified vehicles in the first half of 2020; the F-150 Powerboost Hybrid totaled 17,039. Escape Hybrid and Escape Plug-in Hybrid totaled 15,642, up 45.9% over a year ago. The Mustang Mach-E sold 12,975 through the first half of the year.

It remains challenging to compare any data to 2020, when the U.S. spent much of the year in various periods of shutdown related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Still, Ford is reflecting trends toward national luxury consumption with its Lincoln SUV sales of 46,018 during the first half of the year. The Corsair accounted for 13,507.

Ford did not break out the second three months of the year to spotlight second quarter data, choosing instead to provide first-half sales and month of June.

"Through June of this year, Ford retail sales were up 10.7%," said Andrew Frick, vice president of Ford sales in the U.S. and Canada, in a news release. "With constrained inventories and record turn rates in the second quarter, we have been working closely with our dealers. ..."

Commercial fleet sales increased 2.4% with 51,713 Transit Vans sold. Heavy Duty pickups did well, too.

Ford just began selling the full-size Bronco in June with 801 listed for the month

"There’s so much excitement about the Bronco coming," said Jeff King, vice president and general manager at Bozard Ford Lincoln in St. Augustine, Florida. "It will be nice when we actually have Broncos that we can deliver."

Ford sold 115,789 vehicles in June in the U.S., with 63,129 trucks and 49,792 SUVs and 2,868 cars. Year to date, this year saw sales helped by Explorer, Expedition, Ranger, Lincoln Nautilus, Aviator and Navigator.
Sponsored

additionsola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Colorado
Another article here: https://fordauthority.com/2021/07/f...epares-to-ship-thousands-of-f-series-pickups/

Contents:

It’s no secret that Ford has been reeling from the semiconductor chip shortage in recent months, losing hundreds of thousands of units of production in the process. Despite its best efforts to disrupt the production of key models as little as possible, even the automaker’s cash cow offerings – the Ford F-150 and Ford Super Duty – have faced numerous production issues, with unfinished models being stored around Detroit and Kentucky awaiting chips. Now, however, the Detroit Free Press is reporting that Ford has received a new batch of chips that will allow it to ship thousands of Ford F-Series pickups to eager customers.

“We’re working to get chips into F-Series pickups and get them out to dealers,” Erich Merkle, U.S. sales analyst at Ford, told the Free Press. “That’s our first priority. We’ll see our inventories improve. It’ll take time but stock will gradually start to improve the second half of the year. Merkle added that the automaker’s inventory is at “record lows,” which “is having a near-term impact on our sales.”

As Ford Authority reported recently, Ford doesn’t expect dealers to receive “meaningful” amounts of inventory until August, though Merkle noted that inventory levels may not return to normal until 2022. These shortages have had a major impact on the automaker’s sales, which decreased 27 percent in June, as Ford Authority reported earlier today.

F-Series sales dipped nearly 30 percent in June, however, the automaker still managed to sell 362,032 pickups on record turn rates in the first half of the year, which is 48,964 more than its second-place competitor. That total also represents a 1.5 percent decrease over F-Series sales in the first half of 2020.

Regardless, many in the industry, including Ford CEO Jim Farley, expect the semiconductor chip shortage to begin to ease up this month and recover fully by the end of 2021, which is good news for both automakers and car shoppers alike.

We’ll have more on the state of Ford production soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for the latest Ford F-Series news, Ford Super Duty news, Ford F-150 news, and continuous Ford news coverage.

fmozza

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 xlt fx4
Occupation
retired
Another article here: https://fordauthority.com/2021/07/f...epares-to-ship-thousands-of-f-series-pickups/

Contents:

It’s no secret that Ford has been reeling from the semiconductor chip shortage in recent months, losing hundreds of thousands of units of production in the process. Despite its best efforts to disrupt the production of key models as little as possible, even the automaker’s cash cow offerings – the Ford F-150 and Ford Super Duty – have faced numerous production issues, with unfinished models being stored around Detroit and Kentucky awaiting chips. Now, however, the Detroit Free Press is reporting that Ford has received a new batch of chips that will allow it to ship thousands of Ford F-Series pickups to eager customers.

“We’re working to get chips into F-Series pickups and get them out to dealers,” Erich Merkle, U.S. sales analyst at Ford, told the Free Press. “That’s our first priority. We’ll see our inventories improve. It’ll take time but stock will gradually start to improve the second half of the year. Merkle added that the automaker’s inventory is at “record lows,” which “is having a near-term impact on our sales.”

As Ford Authority reported recently, Ford doesn’t expect dealers to receive “meaningful” amounts of inventory until August, though Merkle noted that inventory levels may not return to normal until 2022. These shortages have had a major impact on the automaker’s sales, which decreased 27 percent in June, as Ford Authority reported earlier today.

F-Series sales dipped nearly 30 percent in June, however, the automaker still managed to sell 362,032 pickups on record turn rates in the first half of the year, which is 48,964 more than its second-place competitor. That total also represents a 1.5 percent decrease over F-Series sales in the first half of 2020.

Regardless, many in the industry, including Ford CEO Jim Farley, expect the semiconductor chip shortage to begin to ease up this month and recover fully by the end of 2021, which is good news for both automakers and car shoppers alike.

We’ll have more on the state of Ford production soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for the latest Ford F-Series news, Ford Super Duty news, Ford F-150 news, and continuous Ford news coverage.
Ford is trying to balance shipping of retail custom orders and stock orders. Dealerships do need vehicles on the lots. I don't have this feeling often, but I do feel for these guys - last time I was at the dealership, it was a ghost town - two cars in the showroom and sales guys wandering aimlessly around. The only customers were a couple of us looking for updates on our trucks.

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Ford is trying to balance shipping of retail custom orders and stock orders. Dealerships do need vehicles on the lots. I don't have this feeling often, but I do feel for these guys - last time I was at the dealership, it was a ghost town - two cars in the showroom and sales guys wandering aimlessly around. The only customers were a couple of us looking for updates on our trucks.
My dealership’s truck lot is completely empty and they have parallel parked the few vehicles they have along the front of the dealership in an attempt to not look totally bare.

Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
My dealership’s truck lot is completely empty and they have parallel parked the few vehicles they have along the front of the dealership in an attempt to not look totally bare.
They’re doing very similar tactics here. They line up whatever they do have, new or used, up along the street to make it look like they have stuff available. Once you look past that, you see the lots behind the building where there would normally be hundreds of cars there is nothing but emptiness.

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
They’re doing very similar tactics here. They line up whatever they do have, new or used, up along the street to make it look like they have stuff available. Once you look past that, you see the lots behind the building where there would normally be hundreds of cars there is nothing but emptiness.
I have been told by a reliable source that you will see hundreds of F150's arrive in dealers inventories over the next few weeks. Ford is panicked about loosing the #1 spot. All available parts and labor have been shifted. Hence the Bronco push back again. Watch for all the tap dancing about the Maverick soon. My dealer has gotten 40-50 F150's in the last week

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I have been told by a reliable source that you will see hundreds of F150's arrive in dealers inventories over the next few weeks. Ford is panicked about loosing the #1 spot. All available parts and labor have been shifted. Hence the Bronco push back again. Watch for all the tap dancing about the Maverick soon. My dealer has gotten 40-50 F150's in the last week
Not surprised, they had to have a come to Jesus with this mess eventually. I had figured about a month ago that they likely wouldn’t let these things sit much past July, looks like they’ll probably get a good majority of these trucks out of there by the end of the month if they’re really going to push as hard as they say they will.
It’ll be interesting to see if a bunch of people from the parked build weeks suddenly start seeing movement. Seems like they already started on them 2 weeks ago.

It’s also pretty telling things aren’t going very well when they won’t even release standard sales numbers in the reporting. They’re acting like Q2 just didn’t even happen and instead focusing on “first half” sales for everything.

Last edited:

Momo

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lexus RX, 2008 Silverado
Occupation
Retired
Not surprised, they had to have a come to Jesus with this mess eventually. I had figured about a month ago that they likely wouldn’t let these things sit much past July, looks like they’ll probably get a good majority of these trucks out of there by the end of the month if they’re really going to push as hard as they say they will.
It’ll be interesting to see if a bunch of people from the parked build weeks suddenly start seeing movement. Seems like they already started on them 2 weeks ago.

It’s also pretty telling things aren’t going very well when they won’t even release standard sales numbers in the reporting. They’re acting like Q2 just didn’t even happen and instead focusing on “first half” sales for everything.
Everybody here has made some good points but some of you are neglecting to recognize that this microchip shortage is not a Ford problem, it’s been an auto industry problem. All the major auto manufacturers sales are way down. World wide supply issues are effecting many sectors but has the auto industry over the barrel. GM, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, all having same issue. Anyway, hopefully over the next 4 weeks some progress will be made to BOTH the customer who ordered & whose vehicles have been sitting in 10/31 purgatory hell lot and to the dealers getting some much needed inventory.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Everybody here has made some good points but some of you are neglecting to recognize that this microchip shortage is not a Ford problem, it’s been an auto industry problem. All the major auto manufacturers sales are way down. World wide supply issues are effecting many sectors but has the auto industry over the barrel. GM, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, all having same issue. Anyway, hopefully over the next 4 weeks some progress will be made to BOTH the customer who ordered & whose vehicles have been sitting in 10/31 purgatory hell lot and to the dealers getting some much needed inventory.
It’s far beyond the auto industry as well, this has affected nearly every product that has electronics in it. I’ve been waiting on a new range for my kitchen since early February, and the last ETA they provided me was mid September…

Sponsored

2AActuary

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Plat, Bronco; Audi R8, S5, Q7; Cayenne
While it is a macro issue impacting all manufacturers, the pain isn’t evenly being felt by all. Dodge has arguably done a much better job keeping their lines going. I can see the argument that Ford is on edge about losing the #1 spot. Given Dodge (RAM) doing a better job of keeping their manufacturing, I’d say it is a credible threat.

Chevy/GMC is such a distant 3rd (my opinion) to what Ford & RAM is offering right now, I just simply see it as a 2 horse race.

bouvier

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW GTI, 2011 Flex
Occupation
retired from HP
Our Lariat was built in Dearborn on May 9th. It was supposed to be shipped to Granger about 1 month ago. The dealer indicated that it was not waiting for any integrated circuits. Apparently our truck is sitting in Kansas City waiting for an available transport. A shortage of truck drivers is an additional burden on top of the IC shortage and is impacting a number of industries.

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
Sorry, but you are wrong. The ONLY major manufacturer that has lower sales numbers Is Ford. Half of the models suffering from the chip shortage are Fords. F150 is the only truck on the top 10 list. All other manufacturers are having record years. Ford really screwed up when they did not honor their commitment to build customer orders first when they replenished their chips.

Last edited:

ScottBB

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Sorry, but you are wrong. The ONLY major manufacturer that has lower sales numbers Is Ford. Half of the models suffering from the chip shortage are Fords. F150 is the only truck on the top 10 list. All other manufacturers are having record years. Ford really screwed up when they did not honor their commitment to build customer orders first when get replenished their chips.
Not in Mississippi. You can't find a lot with more than 1 or 2 new trucks. I went to the jeep dealer the other day and it isn't just microchips, they are having problems getting body panels, tops, etc. It is a worldwide supply issue.

LeadFoot-Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat
Not in Mississippi. You can't find a lot with more than 1 or 2 new trucks. I went to the jeep dealer the other day and it isn't just microchips, they are having problems getting body panels, tops, etc. It is a worldwide supply issue.
Hi there,there is also an issue getting tires as well as the foam used in making seats…there multiple part shortages..every manufacturer is idling plants due to part shortages..GM is only building trucks and large SUV’s…
Sponsored