Sponsored

Do you like your 2,7 ecoboost or wish you bought 5.0?

2023 SCREW STX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 SCREW STX 4x4, 2.7 ECOBOOST, AVALANCHE
Bought a new 2023 Ford F150 Crew Cab 4x4 STX, 2.7 with 3.55 gears. Like the truck a lot. But I do wish I had the V8.
For the sound and feel. But it is what is. Read good things about the 2.7.
Does anyone else wish they bought the V8 instead?

The dealership where I bought this truck had about $7,400 off on all the 2.7 STX. So I went with it. Also I have auto / start delete. Which is good.
Sponsored

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Blackout
Occupation
Police Officer
I had a 2.7 as a daily in my Gen 13, Bronco Badlands and my current Gen 14 and a 5.0 XLT as my police patrol truck. Needless to say I got on it way more on the 5.0 but ALWAYS preferred the 2.7. Quicker off the line, felt zippy around town and the mileage is nice.

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
Ive put 1k miles on a 21 STx 4x4 Supercrew with the 2.7 and lots more on my current XLT 5.0l. Here is my opinion -

The 2.7 will get 2-3 mpg better overall on average than the 5.0 in the city and about 1-2 mpg better on the highway.

In an otherwise identical truck (weight, tires, ect), the 5.0 will be similiar in down low power but much stronger on top end and at freeway speeds. The bronco may have been a lighter setup with a short rear end ratio vs F150.

The 2.7 also, is the only engine afaik in the F150 that was ground-up designed primarily for heavy duty applications. It's internals are "Strong like bull". Most believe it's been the most reliable F150 engine in recent years (I probably wont get too many arguments on this).

I love the 2.7L. It's super efficient, packs a great punch, and has been exceptionally reliable in the F150.

I personally wouldnt waste money on a trade. The only argument would be if you need to tow > 8k lbs or so.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I can concur with the zippy statement, on my test drives the 2.7 felt great stoplight to stoplight. It’s a little down on grunt compared to the current 4th gen 5.0 below 2,500 rpm or so (Ford really bolstered low end in the 21+ 5.0 with longer intake manifold runners and lower lift cam lobes), but the mid range is packed with torque and it climbs hard in the upper 2000 rpm range through the 3000 range. The 5.0 was definitely faster for heavy footed merging on my test drive, but the 2.7 is not a slouch and actually feels a hair stronger to me around 3,000 rpm (that mid range). The 2.7 torque curve is like a big hump, not super strong down low or up top, but very strong in the meat of the band where you often use it! I also happen to concur with dmac, I would not trade if you are happy with the truck.

This guys owns both motors and has done a few vids on both. He came up as recommended on my page this morning. The 2.7 does decent for being 75 HP and 10 lb ft or torque down. The 5.0 is just an animal on the top end. I would argue 50+ percent of buyers would be fine serviced by the base 3.3 V6 by the way.

Last edited:
OP
OP

2023 SCREW STX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 SCREW STX 4x4, 2.7 ECOBOOST, AVALANCHE
I can concur with the zippy statement, on my test drives the 2.7 felt great stoplight to stoplight. It’s a little down on grunt compared to the current 4th gen 5.0 below 2,500 rpm or so (Ford really bolstered low end in the 21+ 5.0 with longer intake manifold runners and lower lift cam lobes), but the mid range is packed with torque and it climbs hard in the upper 2000 rpm range through the 3000 range. The 5.0 was definitely faster for heavy footed merging on my test drive, but the 2.7 is not a slouch and actually feels a hair stronger to me around 3,000 rpm (that mid range). The 2.7 torque curve is like a big hump, not super strong down low or up top, but very strong in the meat of the band where you often use it! I also happen to concur with dmac, I would not trade if you are happy with the truck.

This guys owns both motors and has done a few vids on both. He came up as recommended on my page this morning. The 2.7 does decent for being 75 HP and 10 lb ft or torque down. The 5.0 is just an animal on the top end. I would argue 50+ percent of buyers would be fine serviced by the base 3.3 V6 by the way.

Yes I agree definitely not trading it in. So far I do like the 2.7. Been getting around 23 mpg. Which is real nice. Read a lot about the 2.7 motor said they are built tough. But I miss that V8 sound. Oh well to late now.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
5.0 XLT as my police patrol truck. Needless to say I got on it way more on the 5.0 but ALWAYS preferred the 2.7. Quicker off the line, felt zippy around town and the mileage is nice.
No police interceptor? Marked unit or?

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Blackout
Occupation
Police Officer
No police interceptor? Marked unit or?
It was back when I worked at a smaller agency. We bought our trucks from the city’s dealership and outfitted them in-house with the emergency lights, sirens and cage.

Glad I went to a larger city where we buy actual police package models now. Though unfortunately we’ve made the shift to all Tahoes and Silverados.

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
I drove a 5.0 rental and own a 2.7. I preferred the 5.0 frankly just for the driving behavior. Turbos just aren't my thing frankly. Both got exceptional mpg with my driving and I really like the way Ford did the cylinder deactivation in the 5.0.

Dizz

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 STX 2.7 EB Crew cab
Occupation
Retired
The 2.7 was the only engine I wanted because I liked my sons 16 model
I really only use my truck to pull my little boats or other minor hauling things like furniture
Mine is a 22 STX and love the truck overall
The big downside of the 2.7 and I can’t see the 3.5 would be much better at this is issues issues living in the mountains
The 2.7 is an absolute puss with engine braking compression
Its just a math thing
My 15 Tacoma had the 2.7 4cyl a dog for power but had similar engine compression on a lighter truck
The 5.0 that I think is more like 4.8 L not sure would have about 70% more engine breaking compression as the 2.7
I could care less about engine sound and I think the 2.7 sounds great and love the MPG
Even without towing when descending the steep mountains in WV I end up downshifting to 2nd gear to get holdback and not burning up the brakes with the engine roaring but I never allow it to get even close to redline
I fear this will be very tough on the tranny over time
If you live in the flatlands 2.7 would be my only choice
In the mountains go with the 5.0

Sponsored

Bobbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Sport, SC, Iconic Silver, 2.7
Occupation
Retired
Love the 2.7 on my Lariat. Gas mileage and pep are great. I don’t tow anything, so can’t justify the 5.0. Ford is making a huge blunder in doing away with it on the Lariat trim level on the ‘24s.

Oilberta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 302A 5.0 Sport Max Tow 6.5
Bought a 5.0 BUT....If I didn't tow as much as I did, with my heavy travel trailer and dump trailer, would have went with the 2.7 for sure, in fact I was going to pull the trigger on the 2.7 but I would of had to downsize the trailer and in the market back in early 2022 trailer prices were crazy, so stuck with it. I found the 2.7 to be pretty peppy and equal that of the 5.0 in usable power getting to the speed limit.

Old Hat

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT RCSB, 2005 ZR2 Blazer 5 sp manual
I wanted the 5.0 because: V-8. Then I drove the 2.7 and couldn't believe the power and pep. Way more power than my light weight regular cab truck will ever need. I thought I'd miss the V-8 sound but I don't. The stock 2.7 sounds perfectly fine to me when idling, poking around town or stomping on it. And honestly most of my driving is very conservative anyway. There will be no mods made on my truck... there is no need for them.

As my first ever turbo engine I had concerns about longevity, but the more I read the less valid these concerns seem to be. Drivability and mileage are great, I'm really glad I ended up with the 2.7.

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Black Pack -22 Expedition Stealth - 03 HD
I had an '18 2.7.
Was very peppy and didn't have to nurse it in order to get good fuel millage.

It just felt too "light" and car like for my liking.

Then went to a 3.5, then a 5.0.

Just waiting on a 5.0 PB is when I'll be trading in.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I had an '18 2.7.
Was very peppy and didn't have to nurse it in order to get good fuel millage.

It just felt too "light" and car like for my liking.

Then went to a 3.5, then a 5.0.

Just waiting on a 5.0 PB is when I'll be trading in.
A 5.0 hybrid is about the only way I will buy another truck before this one is 10 years old. That would force me back to the dealer sooner than expected :ROFLMAO:.
Sponsored