First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 STX 2.7 Supercrew, BMW 135i
Occupation
University Director
I run 89 around town but will run 91-93 when traveling or towing. I average 21mpg around town.
Sponsored

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
I'll be using 87 (Top Tier - Costco) whenever I get possession in 2022!

EatDirtFartDust

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT, 2015 Lincoln MKZ
Occupation
Ford service manager
I always suggest premium in a forced-induction engine. You get a little better gas mileage, though not enough to offset the extra cost. But you'll have less carbon buildup.

Green_Bean

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired musician
Been running 87 for quite some time. Never had a problem so far

Bobbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Sport, SC, Iconic Silver, 2.7
Occupation
Retired
Wondering what gas grades are you guys using for your 2.7 EcoBoost? Regular grade (87) or Premium (91 or 94) grade?

I've always ran premium grade in my Evolution X Final Edition. It uses premium stock, ran great for the turbos!
87 octane since first day. 23.2 mpg on 2400 miles. Very happy with that.

Sponsored

IconicXLTsport

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT
Occupation
Nuclear Operations
Asked the dealer to fill with 93 when I bought my truck. Stepped down to 89, then 87. Run 87 unless I’m towing, then I fill with 93.
There’s no more energy in 93 vs 87 so there won’t be any mpg savings to offset the cost. My commute is all highway so the engine is always at very low loads so the benefits of higher octane fuel would never be used. Always use top tier fuel for any octane.

Thanks to my 60 mph highway commute I average 25-26mpg hand calculated on 87. (Dash reads 27-28 mpg)

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I always suggest premium in a forced-induction engine. You get a little better gas mileage, though not enough to offset the extra cost. But you'll have less carbon buildup.
Why would you get less carbon build-up?

Bobbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Sport, SC, Iconic Silver, 2.7
Occupation
Retired
Wondering what gas grades are you guys using for your 2.7 EcoBoost? Regular grade (87) or Premium (91 or 94) grade?

I've always ran premium grade in my Evolution X Final Edition. It uses premium stock, ran great for the turbos!
Strictly 87 octane since day one. Getting a little over 23 mpg with 2400 miles on the odomete.

IconicXLTsport

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT
Occupation
Nuclear Operations
Why would you get less carbon build-up?
Some believe there will be less random knock with higher octane but really the ecoboost computers are constantly trying to lean out the mixture under light load to save fuel until they detect random knock. This happens with any fuel grade. This leaning of the mixture is the only reason there is any improvement of mpg with premium fuel. The amount of energy in the fuel is the same, however the higher octane fuel can be run ever so slightly more lean for the same load on the engine. This will never overcome the cost of premium fuel however.

in the past, some fuel retailers only put the cleaning detergents in their premium fuels but I believe they are now required to put cleaning agents in all fuel tiers

High quality, top tier fuel should have cleaning agents in all tiers of their fuel so you should get the same cleaning ability in all grades.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Some believe there will be less random knock with higher octane but really the ecoboost computers are constantly trying to lean out the mixture under light load to save fuel until they detect random knock. This happens with any fuel grade. This leaning of the mixture is the only reason there is any improvement of mpg with premium fuel. The amount of energy in the fuel is the same, however the higher octane fuel can be run ever so slightly more lean for the same load on the engine. This will never overcome the cost of premium fuel however.

in the past, some fuel retailers only put the cleaning detergents in their premium fuels but I believe they are now required to put cleaning agents in all fuel tiers

High quality, top tier fuel should have cleaning agents in all tiers of their fuel so you should get the same cleaning ability in all grades.
Higher octane is more resistant to knock, so the computer can run more advance with higher octane fuel and achieve better mileage. I agree the carbon build-up should be the same with regular or premium.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nightshade

Nightshade

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford F-150 Lariat | '22 Ford F-350 S/D Tremor
Occupation
Firefighter Superintendent
Thanks, guys! I think I'll be running regular gas grade during winter seasons and premium grade during spring to summer. I'm running my first regular grade right now while the first regular was dealer gas at the time of pickup. Over the summer, I did run premium, it somewhat seems to run a little better, but not noticeable. (3.5 Ecoboost)

IconicXLTsport

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT
Occupation
Nuclear Operations
Higher octane is more resistant to knock, so the computer can run more advance with higher octane fuel and achieve better mileage. I agree the carbon build-up should be the same with regular or premium.
Yea. The engine can run more advance when under load to make more power, this is the reason the power figures are posted using premium gas. When cruising there is very little load on the engine and the effect of premium fuel is minimal.

Thanks, guys! I think I'll be running regular gas grade during winter seasons and premium grade during spring to summer. I'm running my first regular grade right now while the first regular was dealer gas at the time of pickup. Over the summer, I did run premium, it somewhat seems to run a little better, but not noticeable. (3.5 Ecoboost)
once the engine has adjusted to the octane you’re running, there will not be a very noticeable difference in performance unless you put the engine under load like towing. You will save a lot of money just running regular gas unless you’re towing.Just my view on the matter.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
once the engine has adjusted to the octane you’re running, there will not be a very noticeable difference in performance unless you put the engine under load like towing. You will save a lot of money just running regular gas unless you’re towing.Just my view on the matter.
The engine constantly adjusts to load, environmental conditions, and octane, but you are right that you wouldn't notice premium while cruising, though you may a moment later if you accelerate

IconicXLTsport

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT
Occupation
Nuclear Operations
The engine constantly adjusts to load, environmental conditions, and octane, but you are right that you wouldn't notice premium while cruising, though you may a moment later if you accelerate
I drive like an old man so I never feel I load the engine enough to see the benefit of anything above 87 Oct unless I’m towing or hauling near max payload.

AnthemMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Yeah my cousin has a 2.7 EcoBoost where I have the 3.5 EcoBoost, both 2021s. I'm running 91 premium just like you are after the dealership filled gas ran out. These gas prices, regardless how good our jobs are, is just insane! Since Thanksgiving, its been going up a little by little. We're thinking of switching to 87 when the 91 finishes. Not sure if its a good idea?
I only run 87 in my 2.7 but if I'm planning on doing some weekend towing I ensure I put premium in it. Other than that 87 all the time and I only fill up with chevron gasoline. If I cannot find chevron it's Shell and that's it.
Sponsored