Sponsored

So what IS the latest/current Sync4 version?

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
Thanks! I am definitely Job 2 then (prod. date 12/9/2021), but I am stil curious where can one find current available version for his/her Sync 4. Why do owners complain that they don't get OTA updates? How do they know that there is an update and their system won't download it?
Well, as a job 1 owner I can affirm that I've never gotten a single update, and my ongoing saga with getting it corrected has been a very frustrating experience. As for determining the "latest version", unfortunately, it's more complicated than you might think. There are a few threads that will list the actual releases and what fixes/features are included in each. The issue is that the releases are not necessarily sequential, and they are often only applicable to specific vehicles. So you may be running version 1.3 (I'm just making these numbers up) and your next update may be version 1.6... The fact that you miss versions 1.4 and 1.5 doesn't necessarily mean there was an error; those may just have been targeted for a different trim level or options package than your truck has. Of course, it could also be due to a malfunction in your update process, which you'd never know because the process is completely closed to end-users. It seems the only reliable information you're going to find is from techs on this forum that are gracious enough to share their "insider" access. There's a user (whose name I can't recall at the moment) that was at one time running people's VINs to determine their update status - that was how I was able to confirm that my updates were indeed failing (as opposed to Ford's response that since my truck said I was "up to date", everything was fine).

Just to add to the fun, there's also a different versioning path between core SYNC system updates and specific "power-up" updates. The latter seems to be more model/trim-specific, while the former tends to be more global.

In my case, not getting updates wasn't the original symptom - my issue was (is) that my SYNC and dash cluster constantly reset and malfunction. Unfortunately, the process of trying to resolve it seems to be dependent on my truck getting system updates, and that has led me down the rabbit hole of frustration described in my post linked above. Currently, I have a new gateway module installed, but since the dealer wants my truck for 2 or 3 days in order to do the required programming, I'm waiting until they have a loaner vehicle available.

any day now.... 🤦‍♂️
Sponsored

• Angry
Reactions: sbi
OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
Well, as a job 1 owner I can affirm that I've never gotten a single update, and my ongoing saga with getting it corrected has been a very frustrating experience. As for determining the "latest version", unfortunately, it's more complicated than you might think. There are a few threads that will list the actual releases and what fixes/features are included in each. The issue is that the releases are not necessarily sequential, and they are often only applicable to specific vehicles. So you may be running version 1.3 (I'm just making these numbers up) and your next update may be version 1.6... The fact that you miss versions 1.4 and 1.5 doesn't necessarily mean there was an error; those may just have been targeted for a different trim level or options package than your truck has. Of course, it could also be due to a malfunction in your update process, which you'd never know because the process is completely closed to end-users. It seems the only reliable information you're going to find is from techs on this forum that are gracious enough to share their "insider" access. There's a user (whose name I can't recall at the moment) that was at one time running people's VINs to determine their update status - that was how I was able to confirm that my updates were indeed failing (as opposed to Ford's response that since my truck said I was "up to date", everything was fine).

Just to add to the fun, there's also a different versioning path between core SYNC system updates and specific "power-up" updates. The latter seems to be more model/trim-specific, while the former tends to be more global.

In my case, not getting updates wasn't the original symptom - my issue was (is) that my SYNC and dash cluster constantly reset and malfunction. Unfortunately, the process of trying to resolve it seems to be dependent on my truck getting system updates, and that has led me down the rabbit hole of frustration described in my post linked above. Currently, I have a new gateway module installed, but since the dealer wants my truck for 2 or 3 days in order to do the required programming, I'm waiting until they have a loaner vehicle available.

any day now.... 🤦‍♂️
Thanks @sonofzell

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
How do they know that there is an update and their system won't download it?
...I get what you're asking here, and my answer is simply that pretty much anyone that uses this (or similar) forum is a truck geek, and Ford's feeble attempt to just keep everyone in the dark with their default "your system is up to date" BS failed miserably.

As soon as people started posting "I love my new truck, look what it can do" threads, they were followed by "wait, MY truck doesn't have that" responses. Malfunctions aside, some features that a "job 2" owner may have that my truck does not include:

- Activation of cameras at speed
- Functional info cards on sync side screen
- On-board scale activation
- Additional apps / functions available in SYNC menu
- Navigation prompts in dash cluster (for third-party apps)

...and more, depending on the trim and options you have. Essentially, Ford rolled out half a production year of inferior vehicles, and (in my opinion) tried to just quietly back away from the fact that thousands of owners got a lot less features and functionality than those that purchased identical vehicles (at identical prices) that just happened to have been rolled out after they fixed their own mistakes.

If my SYNC system wasn't having issues and I'd never seen others' identical trucks with the "extra" functions, I'd likely have no clue whatsoever that my truck's OTA function was defective. I'd just see "your system is up to date", and can all but guarantee that no one at Ford would tell me otherwise.

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
Ford rolled out half a production year of inferior vehicles, and (in my opinion) tried to just quietly back away from the fact that thousands of owners got a lot less features and functionality than those that purchased identical vehicles (at identical prices) that just happened to have been rolled out after they fixed their own mistakes.
Looks like they did this the other way around too - my late 21' model (probably one of the last ones made, December 2021), Lariat 502A does not have tilting head rests. Every truck I checked out at different dealerships earlier in the year and the year before that, and earlier made Lariats as well as XLT's, came with tilting head rests. Ford just seems to throw at the production line whatever they have on hand.
I also strongly believe that my truck should have come with front parking sensors and it didn't.

Shotofpadron

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Depends on the build.
Job 1 with Blue Cruise 22034
Job 1 no Blue Cruise 21281
Job 2 there is no apim update available whatever you are at is what is available.
July build 21136
August or September and later 21223(what OP is)
That was the version until

2022 Job 1
they have 21297 it has the Alexa update and 22012
I have a job 1 no blue cruise and I’m at 22034 rev 364 so I assume all job 1s can make it to 22034 regardless of blue cruise

Sponsored

cool rod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum, 2013 Mustang
Hi. Where do I find the SYNC version?

I had my Job 1 in the shop for four days and they couldn't figure out how to install BlueCruise so I took it home. If I can just get 1.7.1 correctly installed I can wait for the OTA update for BlueCruise.

Thanks

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
After asking a couple people the Lariats and up seems to get 22034. @ JEB has 22034 and no BC. I havent seen an XLT go beyond 21281 yet. If there is an XLT with it let me know.

ColoradoHunter

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Depends on the build.
Job 1 with Blue Cruise 22034
Job 1 no Blue Cruise 21281
Job 2 there is no apim update available whatever you are at is what is available.
July build 21136
August or September and later 21223(what OP is)
That was the version until

2022 Job 1
they have 21297 it has the Alexa update and 22012
Great info, thanks Jesse.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150

Sponsored

ken325i

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Occupation
Retired
After asking a couple people the Lariats and up seems to get 22034. @ JEB has 22034 and no BC. I havent seen an XLT go beyond 21281 yet. If there is an XLT with it let me know.
Today my KR job 1 (no BC) OTA updated from 1.7.1 to 2.1. But Sync is still showing 21146 (1.7.1). Hoping it is just a refresh delay.........

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Today my KR job 1 (no BC) OTA updated from 1.7.1 to 2.1. But Sync is still showing 21146 (1.7.1). Hoping it is just a refresh delay.........
2.1 is a gateway update not an apim update so yes you will still be 21146. 2.3.0 is apim/TCU update and will update you to 21281

ken325i

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Occupation
Retired
2.1 is a gateway update not an apim update so yes you will still be 21146. 2.3.0 is apim/TCU update and will update you to 21281
Would 2.3 (21281) be the final update for Job 1 no BC vehicles? Sorry, just re-read your prior post!! Thanks for all you do!!

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Would 2.3 (21281) be the final update for Job 1 no BC vehicles?
I clarified on my other post but it seems now after looking Lariat and above will be 22034

XLT seems to have a cut off of 21281 again if anyone with an xlt that has anything different let me know. I would need your vin to verify the installation.
Sponsored