Sponsored

How to find latest version of OTA SYNC4 Updates?

johnatuckeriii

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 SuperCrew AMB
@Jesse-Infotainment interested to see if that device really does work on the '21s... the amazon description literally says "except F150".
Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
@Jesse-Infotainment we will find out because I just bought it. I'll test it with forscan first to see how it behaves then move onto FDRS (I'll just spring for a two-day sub).
Ok, I am confident. I asked the person to come on and explain their experience.. He updated all his modules and I believe he has a powerboost

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
@Jesse-Infotainment interested to see if that device really does work on the '21s... the amazon description literally says "except F150".
It says "does not work for FORD F-xxx vehicles BEFORE 2010".

Ford F-150 How to find latest version of OTA SYNC4 Updates? 1642007320353

Btw, the guy Jesse refers to is me. I bought this device about a week ago, and I used it with Fords FDRS tool and 2-day non-dealer license that you can purchase here. You can download FDRS software here.

For the tool itself, you will need to install the VX Manager that can be downloaded from here. Once you install it MAKE SURE you set it up as J2534 pass-through device, not as Fords VCMII! After that FDRS tool will recognize it just fine.

I have flashed all my modules with this set up, including the IPMA module that took about 3 hours to complete.

This device works, just need to really pay attention how you set it up.

NOTE: I would not install any software Amazon sends you with the tool (I did not get any), people reported having issues as well as AV flagging the software suspicious.

Last edited:

Sponsored

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
Also (VERY IMPORTANT), make sure you have a solid battery charger/maintaner connected to your truck, the last thing you would want is the battery die on you while flashing your modules. This is especially true for IPMA module flashing which takes almost 3 hours to complete

Last edited:

johnatuckeriii

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hey! Awesome. There were two listings; one was this (I highlighted the scary part):

Ford F-150 How to find latest version of OTA SYNC4 Updates? Screenshot 2022-01-12 112136

So I bought the other listing instead :)

I wanted to try updating modules on the wife's escape hybrid too (there's a TSB for a cold start rattle and an intake sensor freezing; both apparently software fixes) and if I can avoid going to the dealer for something I can do in my spare time I welcome it.

...and that's what I have VMs and snapshots for, too :)

johnatuckeriii

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
and yes; when I verify this thing works a 20-30amp battery tender is in my future.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Be careful with AGM batteries.. you can overcharge them

heffer86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 501A
General question in regards to FDRS updates.

I see that I have updates on many modules. Do I need to do them in a particular order?
Ford F-150 How to find latest version of OTA SYNC4 Updates? 1642016772543

Sponsored

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
I did not. Just keep in mind IPMA takes the longest. Up to 3 hours! I would do it the latest. Also, if you update DDM and PDM, you will need to reinitialize the windows open/close logic.

johnatuckeriii

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Jesse-Infotainment @iceman77 It worked perfectly. This is something someone should genuinely do a write-up on.

That being said there's always one thing: the app developers were smart enough to know that I was using a VirtualBox VM (which to be honest could be easily cloned and added to other PCs). I wasn't even mad; I was impressed. That being said a normal install of W10 and just the driver package for the nano got me where I needed to be.

Ford F-150 How to find latest version of OTA SYNC4 Updates? tempImageXURGly

Ford F-150 How to find latest version of OTA SYNC4 Updates? tempImageY0Gv7O

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
@Jesse-Infotainment @iceman77 It worked perfectly. This is something someone should genuinely do a write-up on.

That being said there's always one thing: the app developers were smart enough to know that I was using a VirtualBox VM (which to be honest could be easily cloned and added to other PCs). I wasn't even mad; I was impressed. That being said a normal install of W10 and just the driver package for the nano got me where I needed to be.

tempImageXURGly.jpg

tempImageY0Gv7O.jpg
Glad you took things into your hands also glad everything worked out for you!

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Also (VERY IMPORTANT), make sure you have a solid battery charger/maintaner connected to your truck, the last thing you would want is the battery die on you. This is especially true for IPMA module flashing which takes almost 3 hours to complete
Can you perform the updates with the vehicle running versus just ignition on?

Agreed there. If someone wrote this process up, it would be greatly appreciated.

johnatuckeriii

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can you perform the updates with the vehicle running versus just ignition on?
The modules I updated today were all Key On; Engine Off. FDRS tells you how to manage the battery (including telling to to attach to a battery tender).[/QUOTE]
Sponsored

Last edited: