Sponsored

Whipple Coolant Pump

evoslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 XL RCSB 5.0
It's totally doable in your garage. I did it solo in three days; which I wouldn't recommend but it can be done. The tools above are helpful and then something like a topside creeper is also a must have. The Whipple instructions are very good.

One other thing, send in your tune file before starting the install.
Sponsored

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
...topside creeper is also a must have
I've seen and read folks installing it without one, but it looks very iffy and asking for problems IMO. One install had two people leaning over the condenser/radiator to set the compressor - to me there are a lot of things that can go wrong trying to gently set that thing on the intake. A top side creeper will let you lower it gently from above. Not to mention properly reach the rear most fasteners.

I'll add, you will spend a lot of time on your belly, add a cushion of some kind :)

NavyChief

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150
I would chat with Whipple on the relocate as it might have to be the lowest point in the system?
I wanted to move mine to the top of the frame right behind the grill but was worried about the pump height.
I had lowered my truck 3/6 with cutting the airdam and didn’t have issues with curbs.
I will say after I trimmed the air dam I could see it from the front.
lowered I didn’t need anything to install in the garage as I spent most of my time in the engine bay lol.

OP
OP
Expat93

Expat93

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram, Denali, Ram, Ford
Occupation
None
I've seen and read folks installing it without one, but it looks very iffy and asking for problems IMO. One install had two people leaning over the condenser/radiator to set the compressor - to me there are a lot of things that can go wrong trying to gently set that thing on the intake. A top side creeper will let you lower it gently from above. Not to mention properly reach the rear most fasteners.

I'll add, you will spend a lot of time on your belly, add a cushion of some kind :)
I was one of those leaning over the truck. We built an 8” platform using block and plywood and then covered the front end with a couple of U-Haul blankets. Doable, but not recommended. It hurt. My stomach muscles hurt for days after. I wouldn’t buy a hi-lift creeper for the job, but it sure would be nice to have. Mine took a solid 18hrs, next one would take 10. Your welcome to PM me if you have any questions.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
I would chat with Whipple on the relocate as it might have to be the lowest point in the system?
I email and called Whipple tech support, very easy to talk with. I mentioned the IC pump situation, can the pump be moved from the bottom of the frame rail, up to the inside of the frame rail. The general consensus is that the pump needs to be at lowest point in the IC system. The pump is a pusher and it relies on head pressure/gravity to supply it with coolant. Moving the pump to the inside of the frame rail maintains that's relationship. Just don't mount it any higher than the bottom of the IC. Of course the hoses will need to be modified, but I suppose you might get away leaving them long. Then again, a hose barb coupler and a couple of clamps isn't difficult, then it's not as clean, so maybe the ends of the hoses can be trimmed, I'm not sure.

I did ask why they decided to mount it where they did, but as expected I didn't get a very good answer and that's OK. I think we all agree, it is the easiest location for the IC pump for the at home/consumer/DIYers.
Sponsored

Last edited: