First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram, Denali, Ram, Ford
Occupation
None
So my 16yo son and I installed the complete stage 2 Whipple kit on my 2023 Platinum this past weekend. It was a big job but other that the rear passenger side bolt, it all went pretty smoothly.

The one single issue that’s driving me crazy is the coolant pump. First, I think that the location truly sucks. It hangs down below the frame and in front on the front axle. I’m definitely going to be relocating it. This also raised the concern that what it I did whack it. How would I know, there’s no temp gauge or warning. I’ll be looking for a solution to this too.

Am I just looking for problems or has anyone else had this concern?
Sponsored

Moosesteak

First Name
Lustig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022F150 platinum
Occupation
Tool &diemaker
So my 16yo son and I installed the complete stage 2 Whipple kit on my 2023 Platinum this past weekend. It was a big job but other that the rear passenger side bolt, it all went pretty smoothly.

The one single issue that’s driving me crazy is the coolant pump. First, I think that the location truly sucks. It hangs down below the frame and in front on the front axle. I’m definitely going to be relocating it. This also raised the concern that what it I did whack it. How would I know, there’s no temp gauge or warning. I’ll be looking for a solution to this too.

Am I just looking for problems or has anyone else had this concern?
I've had mine on at that location fora year now with no issues. Live in NW Indiana snow etc etc

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
The one single issue that’s driving me crazy is the coolant pump. First, I think that the location truly sucks.
I’m still waiting on my kit, but have studied the install instructions, chatted with numerous owners and I still have have the same concern about the pump and monitoring the SC coolant temps. I even spoke to Whipple about it as well. FWIW they have no claim of failure or impact issues reported. I’ve not found any reports on the internet either.

I understand the location, but can we at least move it up on the inside of the frame rail for better protection. And how can we add a temp pickup and gauge to watch the temps.

The pump does sorta seem like an afterthought 😉 Then again, the cooling system they have now is much more robust than the previous implementation.

Let us know what you come up with… I plan to ticker with some better locations when my kit makes it home…

OP
OP
Expat93

Expat93

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram, Denali, Ram, Ford
Occupation
None
I’m still waiting on my kit, but have studied the install instructions, chatted with numerous owners and I still have have the same concern about the pump and monitoring the SC coolant temps. I even spoke to Whipple about it as well. FWIW they have no claim of failure or impact issues reported. I’ve not found any reports on the internet either.

I understand the location, but can we at least move it up on the inside of the frame rail for better protection. And how can we add a temp pickup and gauge to watch the temps.

The pump does sorta seem like an afterthought 😉 Then again, the cooling system they have now is much more robust than the previous implementation.

Let us know what you come up with… I plan to ticker with some better locations when my kit makes it home…
Exactly. Glad to no I’m not nuts on this. I’m moving mine up to the inside of the rail and thinking of adding a small buzzer if the pump loses power. Not sure how yet, but I’m looking into it.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Is the pump made by Bosch? I’ve read it’s a serious pump…. Nothing cheap about it…

Sponsored

evoslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 XL RCSB 5.0
I just installed mine this week. The pump mounting is only cheesy thing about the whole deal.

I plan on making a better mount for it too. Something simple like a plate that keeps it in line with the frame.

The previous gen trucks came with an additional metal tank that seems like a better solution.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
I do like the new coolant heat exchange setup just not the pump arrangement. I'll add that the Whipple coolant bottle/reservoir if you will
could use some factory appearance updates ;-)

Whipple vs Roush

Ford F-150 Whipple Coolant Pump 1689171737293
Ford F-150 Whipple Coolant Pump 1689171758733

Along the lines of reading the SC coolant temps and/or if the pump is working or not. Owners could swap out the SC cover coolant in and out ORB to hose fittings with one that have a NPT port. There are coolant temp and pressure sensors that could be connected to a guage of some sort.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Curious what "tool" you guys used to install the rear passenger side bolt? Something like this?

Ford F-150 Whipple Coolant Pump 1689172272693

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Perfect, thank you, I have them both!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Expat93

Expat93

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram, Denali, Ram, Ford
Occupation
None
Curious what "tool" you guys used to install the rear passenger side bolt? Something like this?

1689172272693.png
Tried this and more. Ended up with a swivel like you have plus two wobble head extensions

Ford F-150 Whipple Coolant Pump IMG_1422

Ford F-150 Whipple Coolant Pump IMG_1421

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Thanks guys! Still no ETA on my kit.... it's been 5 weeks now.... I think the Ford Performance FP700 announcement has pushed things out for Whipple.....

Gooner5643

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat 5.0, e92 m3 6mt
Thanks guys! Still no ETA on my kit.... it's been 5 weeks now.... I think the Ford Performance FP700 announcement has pushed things out for Whipple.....
Ordered mine May 17th just got an email saying should be here July 20th.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
So 8ish weeks then…. Sigh…. I’d rather it be right, tested, and ready to go than rushed I suppose…

@Gooner5643 did you do your own installation?

Gooner5643

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat 5.0, e92 m3 6mt
So 8ish weeks then…. Sigh…. I’d rather it be right, tested, and ready to go than rushed I suppose…

@Gooner5643 did you do your own installation?
It won’t be here until next week but I do plan on doing it myself. Little nervous about it but the whipple instructions seem very good and watched a couple YouTube videos on the install to get familiar with it.
Sponsored