Ford Performance Whipple?

jamnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Chevrolet Dually, 1991 GMC Syclone
Occupation
Oil Field
I've been hotrodding and street racing for over 30 years. I normally build my cars myself, been an LS guy and racer since around 2002, before that it was all . My F-150 will be my first Ford in a long time and I don't have any experience modding 32v Fords. I'm thinking about getting the Whipple from Ford Performance to start with, I will eventually go all out on the engine / suspension, but to start I thought I would get a Whipple through Ford and potentially installed by Ford. The last Camaro I bought I busted the warranty within the first 2500 miles and the transmission had a failure that would have been covered under warranty had I not highly modified the car. I figure that I'll get the Ford Whipple to find the weak points in the truck prior to voiding the drivetrain warranty.
I'm wondering what people paid to have a Whipple installed through Ford? My truck will be here in 10 days or so and I'm going to start modifying it right away.
Sponsored

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
I’m inching closer to installing a supercharger. Like you, I would like to have the warranty if possible. The Ford Performance/WHIPPLE package is basically a WHIPPLE stage 1 kit with Ford backing the remainder of the 3 yr/36K mile warranty. The WHIPPLE stage 2 doesn’t seem to offer the remaining 3yr/36 mile warranty.

I called a local dealership that has several Super Snake 150’s and is a Ford Performance Accessory seller. I spoke to the Ford accessories manager who hyped up they do tons of F-150 supercharger installs. He added they have 4 Ford Performance/Roush and 2 WHIPPLE stage 1, they don't recommend the stage 2. When I asked about the Ford Performance/WHIPPLE kit instead of the Roush he corrected me saying Ford Performance uses Roush not WHIPPLE.

Any way, they want $12,900 to install a Roush and $13,500 for the FP/WHIPPLE! He added that includes all the fluids, takes a week to install.

I think I can tackle the WHIPPLE install, but the Roush seems to have more questionable parts and steps that WHIPPLE doesn't have...... makes me wonder why.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
jamnutz

jamnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Chevrolet Dually, 1991 GMC Syclone
Occupation
Oil Field
I can do the install, I've been building cars for a very long time, I've done a few ZL1 Supercharger swaps on 5.3 LS engines and swapped a Hellcat drive train into an 09 1/2 Ton Dodge truck. Like I said in my first post I got my warranty voided on a 5th Gen Camaro and it cost me a lot of money, I actually had the warranty on the car before that one voided too. I'm just thinking of the Ford Whipple so I can have some fun with the truck and still have a warranty for a while. This truck is a toy, a go fast toy that will be raced, I'll be surprised if I put 2-3k miles a year on it. I'll probably just end up breaking it in for a few months to make sure that it doesn't have any issues, then go ahead and do a full build on it and throw the warranty out of the window.

Going with the Whipple over the Roush is because there are upgrades that you can do to Whipple and I've ridden in multiple vehicles that have both Roush and Whipple and the whipples seem to run better.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
I have an outstanding question out to Whipple and Ford/Whipple.

"I realize your kit doesn't require additional components, but do you recommend any of the following?"

- Crankshaft damper?
- Fuel pump booster with factory injectors?
- Fuel pump booster with Whipple Stage 1R or Stage 2?
- Any other recommendations?

You would think it would be easy answers..... cricket's......

Grandpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XL 4x4 Regular Cab
I have an outstanding question out to Whipple and Ford/Whipple.

"I realize your kit doesn't require additional components, but do you recommend any of the following?"

- Crankshaft damper?
- Fuel pump booster with factory injectors?
- Fuel pump booster with Whipple Stage 1R or Stage 2?
- Any other recommendations?

You would think it would be easy answers..... cricket's......
The reason that they don't recommend these things is because they're "not needed" at this power level. There are many caveats to keeping that warranty intact.

Some of which include:
No change in tire cpmpound (i.e. street tires only; no drag radials or slicks).
No change to cold air intake (Whipple CAI only).
No injector changes.
No exhaust exiting before the rear wheel.
No throttle body changes.
No pulley changes.

And there's more in the fine print.

It all depends on what you plan to do with your truck and if you plan to mod it further for more power. This is my daily driver.

If you're still interested:

Are We Scamming You!? *Supercharged F-150* - YouTube

Skip to 10:22 for pricing

Sponsored

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Thank you @Grandpa . I was thinking why does Roush have these additional components and Whipple doesn't. Now Ford Performance switched from Roush to Whipple :) Sorta moots my concerns now... I've since ordered the Ford Performance/Whipple kit (waiting 8 weeks now). Mainly because the FP tune is more tame than the Whipple Stage 1.

I haven't seen that video till now and it helped with some other questions I have too, thank you.

Syclone Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 5.0L Screw 3.73 BAP
I also have the FP whipple kit on order for my '23 f150. Just waiting for delivery!!!

Now I just need to see about lowering in the spring...... Ford Performance, please release a full lowering kit.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Just got the email... FP/Whipple is on the truck... I guess I'm doing this... scared now :)

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!

Sponsored

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
As I understand it, the FP/Whipple is the same hardware as the Whipple Stage 1. I've read through the instructions 100 times and I'm still stuck on handling the injectors. The OEM injectors are reused with Stage 1 kit.

Taken from the FP/Whipple and Whipple Stage 1 instructions:

24. Remove the (8) safety clips from injectors. Remove the injectors from fuel rail. Remove the top and bottom o-rings from stock injectors. Use Berryman B-12 Carburetor cleaner to clean o-rings or soak o-rings for a couple hours in a cleaner such as 409 or similar. If o-rings have any cuts or damage, replace prior to installing. Once clean, reinstall o-rings to stock fuel injectors.

It seems like I stand to do more damage removing and reinstalling the o-rings vs leaving them alone. I'm not sure what this step is for?

TIA

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
As I understand it, the FP/Whipple is the same hardware as the Whipple Stage 1. I've read through the instructions 100 times and I'm still stuck on handling the injectors. The OEM injectors are reused with Stage 1 kit.

Taken from the FP/Whipple and Whipple Stage 1 instructions:

24. Remove the (8) safety clips from injectors. Remove the injectors from fuel rail. Remove the top and bottom o-rings from stock injectors. Use Berryman B-12 Carburetor cleaner to clean o-rings or soak o-rings for a couple hours in a cleaner such as 409 or similar. If o-rings have any cuts or damage, replace prior to installing. Once clean, reinstall o-rings to stock fuel injectors.

It seems like I stand to do more damage removing and reinstalling the o-rings vs leaving them alone. I'm not sure what this step is for?

TIA

If the car has mileage it's a good thing to do. If your car is relatively new, it may not be needed. Just remember, the LID of the Whipple supercharger must be removed to access the injectors again so do it right the first time.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Thanks @diambo4life … Oh right… the lid must be removed to service the injectors… I have 8K miles on my truck.

Davidwnuc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On order ‘22 RCSB.
looks like they use a new fuel rail so you would have to take the injectors off the original fuel rail anyway. Right? I was just looking at pictures so i don’t know for sure.

edit- you are specifically asking about the o rings from the injectors not injectors from the rail…i vote for inspecting them lube them and leave them on the injectors.
Sponsored