First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
I like the 5.0 because I like V8s and the thought of a 6cyl full size truck doesn’t work for me. Guess if they discontinue the 5.0 in the 150s ill be driving a Super Duty next.
I'm in that age group and had the same misgivings about having a 6cyl in a truck, now I won't own a F150 without the 3.5 Ecoboost. I can overlook the lack sound when I have 9000lbs strapped to the rear of the truck and I'm climbing steep hills at around 2000 RPMs. Getting into that 500 ft lb of low end torque just makes it a fun truck to drive.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
I'm in that age group and had the same misgivings about having a 6cyl in a truck, now I won't own a F150 without the 3.5 Ecoboost. I can overlook the lack sound when I have 9000lbs strapped to the rear of the truck and I'm climbing steep hills at around 2000 RPMs. Getting into that 500 ft lb of low end torque just makes it a fun truck to drive.
If I had 9000lbs to pull uphill regularly, I probably would have gone super-duty myself….But if I had no other choice than than an F150, yeah the ecoboost makes sense for that application.

For my application of rare/occasional towing of 5,000lbs max… the Coyote’s 400ft/lbs at 3800rpm should do just fine.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I think V8's aren't "long for this world".

I'll be truly SHOCKED if they're offered on the 2023/24 models at all.

...not to mention Regular Cab Short beds!
Depends where you are in the USA.
The old Coyote isn't going to die till those states finally get with the climate program and ban emissions (by then maybe we'll have an alternative fuel – cellulosic ethanol or whatever – that runs in older V8s without the mpg killing emissions equipment.)
Also, pickups are going to stay the most popular single vehicle type and the Maverick looks like being a huge success and instant cult car for enthusiasts.
The popularity of pickups and V8s is regional. The ecoboost has been a success because of mpg and the truck actually gets going when you put your foot down (unlike previous attempts at a fuel efficient six pot full size pickup.)
You can go all day and see only a handful of pickups around Silicon Valley, but when I was in Denver, in my F-150, I'd be in traffic where there were only F-150s in all three lanes … you have to keep an eye peeled to even see a Chev or RAM and a lot of people have the two door single cab, short bed, no frills, that you rarely see in California.
I have the F-150 with the Prius drivetrain because of the 7.2kW power. Not having to haul a generator is a game changer. But I would rather have a V8 … and put a blower on it … which was my previous SUV, but now in California, even contemplating a blower on a V8 is a thought crime. : )

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
If I had 9000lbs to pull uphill regularly, I probably would have gone super-duty myself….But if I had no other choice than than an F150, yeah the ecoboost makes sense for that application.

For my application of rare/occasional towing of 5,000lbs max… the Coyote’s 400ft/lbs at 3800rpm should do just fine.
With the performance of these motors (V8 vs V6 turbo) it almost come down to a personal preference. Both perform exceptionally well and can handle almost anything you throw at them. It's nice we still have options but seems like that may be coming to a end.

Last edited:

canes1

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 5.0
Occupation
AIRCRAFT MECHANIC
Drove an Ecoboost for 9 years, 1st year for that motor. Around 80000 miles, had to pay $2500 to replace the timing chain, wasn't too happy and what I get for a 1st gen engine .
Anyways, other than the $2500 mishap, it was a pretty stout motor.
Whan I decided to buy a 21, the first 2 things on my list was Leadfoot Gray and a V8....puts a smile on my face evey time I start it up!

Sponsored

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
I am old school so after researching all the performance comparisons I went with the 5.0 because I choke when I say "V6".:)

Antimatter Tremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

When I was looking to trade in my '03 for an '11, I had my sales guy looking at nothing but 5.0s. It really limited my choices. I was the same way, I wanted nothing to do with a "sissy ass v6". I wouldn't even test drive one. I ended up getting a Race Red FX4 SCab w/3.73s It was a great truck, but nowhere near as good as my buddies 3.5 EB Accelerating they were close, but towing the EB was much better. Leased that truck for 30 months and turned it in and got a '14 Raptor. Raptor was awesome, except for the MPGs. Even towed my enclosed trailer and 4 snowmobiles no problem. I had that one for 40 months and sold it and went back to leasing. Right before that my son got a '14 FX4 3.5EB. Night and day different pulling my trailer than my '11 5.0. When I got rid of the Raptor, I went back to leasing and it was definitely going to be a 3.5. I went with an '18 XLT Sport 3.5 W/Max Trailer Tow Package. Pulled my trailer and sleds better than anything I ever had hooked up to it. Leased that for 24 months and I'm currently driving a '19 Lariat Sport SE FX4 3.5 Max Trailer Tow Package. About to turn that in shortly. I have two trucks on order. A '21 XLT Sport FX4 3.5 Max Trailer Tow and a '21 Tremor. After towing with 3 3.5 F150s, I don't even need test drive anything or even think about what engine to get. Not only does it tow way better than my brothers and a couple of my buddies with 5.0s, I will easily blow their doors off too ???

mclroy

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Analyst
Had the same mindset when I bought my 2019 that was drinking 3.5qts every 4k. According to Ford it was a "normal characteristic". Traded it in for the 2.7 and I'm floored how much smoother and the power band of this engine. Sometimes I miss the V8 magnaflow growl but honestly I won't go back to the 5.0 coyote ever again. Thing pinged like no other and burned so much oil. I hope you have better luck with the 21 5.0, some guys have and some are burning quite a bit of oil.
Only some engines had that problem not all. Like some turbos blows out or manifold cracking. Have to dismount the turbos to replace both manifolds.

First Ford Foray

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Camry SE
I went V8 for 2 reasons, neither are scientific:
1. The sound of it
2. I feel like turbos are one more thing to fail plus they are pushing the engine harder ergo I feel like a non-turbo will have a better chance to get my typical 200,000 miles I keep vehicles for.

oh and as a bonus, the coyote actually seems to get decent gas mileage. Now mine just needs to get here.

Funny thing, I saw a video recently where the host interviewed mechanics at a Ford dealership about which engine they would go with and why. The first choice primarily across the board was the V8 and the reason being was they saw very few V8 engines pass through the shop. I always figured it was due to the turbos.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mr. Zero

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 Platinum
Since 2013 I've had four F150s: two with 3.5L EcoBoosts and two with 5.0L Coyotes. I really don't have a preference. Fuel economy was the worst on the 2013 EB (13-14mpg mixed driving) and so far is best on this 2021 Coyote (17-19mpg mixed driving). I don't tow frequently or heavy weight, so this is a non-issue for me. I don't need a "race truck" so I couldn't care less how fast the EB is. (Oooohhhh, it's 5.9 secs vs. 6.8 secs! Wow!")

I liked everything about this Platinum sitting on the lot, bought it on the spot, and won't look back. Hope I don't have any issues (e.g. oil burning) but if I do, oh well. Every engine is a roll of the dice to some extent.

If you need the towing or want the speed, get the EB. If you like the sound and "tradition" of a V8, get that. They're both pretty proven and reliable (with occasional problems, of course). I never understood the need for some to criticize others' engine choices.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT on Order/Mazda Roadster Club/Model 3
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired/Student
2.7 works for me, but I won’t lie ……. I wish I had a V8 sound…. Borla ATAK to the rescue

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Had I been able to choose the 6.2, I would have. Even the 5.0 Coyote is too sophisticated for my liking.

Despite manufacturing improvements, the quest for higher HP and better CAFE numbers has resulted in less robust engines, ones that aren't best suited for extremely long term service.

There's still plenty of mid 90's DOHC Mustangs still running with their original 32V 4.6 engines and every once in a while, I see the even older Mark VIII Lincoln's for sale. However, the later trucks and SUVs with variable valve timing were not so lucky. I am hoping that the new V8s in the 2021 with cylinder deactivation don't suffer a similar fate. I was looking for used F-150s and the 2011 Coyote trucks were all at a premium compared with the Ecoboost trucks. One other thing about the Ecoboosts for sale is a lot of them mentioned either new turbos, or replaced parts in the forced induction system.

The Powerboost transmission and hybrid electric motor system has lots of promise but I feel like they wasted it on the 3.5 turbo motor. I might have considered it with the V8 but it would have been an even better match for an Atkinson cycle engine. Mercedes is bringing back their straight 6 engines and the Silverado has the new Duramax I6, it would be cool if Ford did too.

I also feel old for saying this but modern cars are just too fast for most people, in 2020 you could get a Toyota minivan with a near 300HP engine and a 16 year old can have a Honda Civic as their first car that's faster around a track than a vintage Ferrari Testarossa, granted there's also amazing improvements in handling and braking but people have been driving around city streets faster than ever because it's easier too and somewhat safer for the drivers but pedestrians and others using the roads have suffered.

With the Lightning on the horizon and the success of the Powerboost, I think that the V8 is safe for another few years and there's even rumors of a smaller pushrod V8 based on the new gas 7.3 Godzilla engine. Even if gas engines are dropped entirely from the half-ton segment, they will surely be available in the Superduty for a few years after that.

fmozza

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 xlt fx4
Occupation
retired
Had I been able to choose the 6.2, I would have. Even the 5.0 Coyote is too sophisticated for my liking.

Despite manufacturing improvements, the quest for higher HP and better CAFE numbers has resulted in less robust engines, ones that aren't best suited for extremely long term service.

There's still plenty of mid 90's DOHC Mustangs still running with their original 32V 4.6 engines and every once in a while, I see the even older Mark VIII Lincoln's for sale. However, the later trucks and SUVs with variable valve timing were not so lucky. I am hoping that the new V8s in the 2021 with cylinder deactivation don't suffer a similar fate. I was looking for used F-150s and the 2011 Coyote trucks were all at a premium compared with the Ecoboost trucks. One other thing about the Ecoboosts for sale is a lot of them mentioned either new turbos, or replaced parts in the forced induction system.

The Powerboost transmission and hybrid electric motor system has lots of promise but I feel like they wasted it on the 3.5 turbo motor. I might have considered it with the V8 but it would have been an even better match for an Atkinson cycle engine. Mercedes is bringing back their straight 6 engines and the Silverado has the new Duramax I6, it would be cool if Ford did too.

I also feel old for saying this but modern cars are just too fast for most people, in 2020 you could get a Toyota minivan with a near 300HP engine and a 16 year old can have a Honda Civic as their first car that's faster around a track than a vintage Ferrari Testarossa, granted there's also amazing improvements in handling and braking but people have been driving around city streets faster than ever because it's easier too and somewhat safer for the drivers but pedestrians and others using the roads have suffered.

With the Lightning on the horizon and the success of the Powerboost, I think that the V8 is safe for another few years and there's even rumors of a smaller pushrod V8 based on the new gas 7.3 Godzilla engine. Even if gas engines are dropped entirely from the half-ton segment, they will surely be available in the Superduty for a few years after that.
Great post! I have a 2021 F150 with a 5.0 primarily for towing - planning longish trips. It is my daily driver right now and it does surprisingly well - about the same mileage as my old 2015 Chevy Colorado.

What I am looking forward to is the self-driving tech. We humans are too easily distracted when driving and having the technology will help relieve us of this task. The BLISS, lane-keeping, and various sensors in the 2021 models are a great help to avoid banging into things. I'm probably in a minority with these views on self-driving. As I get older, I'm beginning to realize how bad a driver I am ... :)

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
I think V8's aren't "long for this world".

I'll be truly SHOCKED if they're offered on the 2023/24 models at all.

...not to mention Regular Cab Short beds!
I just read an article saying the V8 is not going anywhere. I was pleasantly surprised.
Sponsored