V8's rule....

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat 502A FX4 5.0
Went and got my oil changed today at a drive through service......

Guys doing the work were in love with the truck.... down under it talking about the differences they could see from previous models.... Supervisor got under to do the safety check....

When I was getting ready to leave the supervisor came up to me to let me know they were very happy to be working on a V8 F150 instead of all those 'powerboost' ones... ;)

Ya gotta love a V8!
Sponsored

OP
OP
HDT05

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat 502A FX4 5.0
Yeah their enthusiasm was surprising.....Truthfully it's my first truck and first Ford.... so I'm stuffed if I can even tell the difference between models yet all my friends keep telling me what a good looking truck it is....

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
I went V8 for 2 reasons, neither are scientific:
1. The sound of it
2. I feel like turbos are one more thing to fail plus they are pushing the engine harder ergo I feel like a non-turbo will have a better chance to get my typical 200,000 miles I keep vehicles for.

oh and as a bonus, the coyote actually seems to get decent gas mileage. Now mine just needs to get here.

AnthemMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
1. The sound of it
2. I feel like turbos are one more thing to fail plus they are pushing the engine harder ergo I feel like a non-turbo will have a better chance to get my typical 200,000 miles I keep vehicles for.

oh and as a bonus, the coyote actually seems to get decent gas mileage. Now mine just needs to get here.
Had the same mindset when I bought my 2019 that was drinking 3.5qts every 4k. According to Ford it was a "normal characteristic". Traded it in for the 2.7 and I'm floored how much smoother and the power band of this engine. Sometimes I miss the V8 magnaflow growl but honestly I won't go back to the 5.0 coyote ever again. Thing pinged like no other and burned so much oil. I hope you have better luck with the 21 5.0, some guys have and some are burning quite a bit of oil.

Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think V8's aren't "long for this world".

I'll be truly SHOCKED if they're offered on the 2023/24 models at all.

...not to mention Regular Cab Short beds!
The world needs a reg cab short bed lightning. That would be an insane fun truck!

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
1. The sound of it

my thoughts exactly.
I am not experiencing oil use
I am averaging 20+/gal on my usage.
Mostly rural , with some freeway.
Very little city

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
my thoughts exactly.
I am not experiencing oil use
I am averaging 20+/gal on my usage.
Mostly rural , with some freeway.
Very little city
Even the last gen did great. Not much experience but rented a 2020 Lariat for 2-3 weeks with the 5.0. In that time I did a road trip to see family in vegas and it was the smoothest running and accelerating truck I had ever driven in my life plus got over 20mpg. That rental totally sold me on the F150. I was already thinking about one but was thinking in another 3 to 4 years. Instead I turned in the rental and headed to the dealership (after spending a couple weeks planning my personal perfect build that is).

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
That rental totally sold me on the F150.
I had been renting regularly for a few years, and have rented all 3 domestic in various bodies. Pickups, Suburbans, Expeditions
could not get comfortable in the GM trucks.
the Dodge just seemed a bit squeaky inside (but still the best looking of the 3)
Felt right at home in the Fords right out of the gate, and coming from over 40 years of driving predominately Chevy trucks, this says something.
Ford was my only option in a half ton as I wanted 8’ box and extended cab, and I had no intention of going up to a 3/4 ton.
Still quite attached to the 98 k1500, so it ain’t going nowhere, but really liking the ride of an eight foot SuperCab.

canes1

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 5.0
Occupation
AIRCRAFT MECHANIC
All I can say is the Ecoboost is a good motor, owned one for 10 years but, when I decided to buy a new truck it was going to be a V8 and nothing else.....every time I crank it up, I smile!

Sponsored

Tyler17

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat
I like the 5.0 because I like V8s and the thought of a 6cyl full size truck doesn’t work for me. Guess if they discontinue the 5.0 in the 150s ill be driving a Super Duty next.

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
I think many will agree with me when I say that a well-tuned, naturally aspirated V8 makes one of the most pleasing sounds ever created by man. Yet technology advances and we move on. The V8 is on its way out for mainstream vehicles and eventually the combustion engine itself. I’ve been really happy with my EcoBoost Fords, but from a service perspective they can be a nightmare. All that extra plumbing really makes one appreciate the simplicity of the V8’s…. And my V10 F-350 is still my favorite truck of all time. Wish I still had one.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I like my 5.0 a lot. It was just luck as engine choice was low on my priority list, buying off the lot. All the engines seem really good, even the 3.3. The sound and responsiveness are a total blast.
Out of all the engine choices I would not have bought a diesel even though I like how they drive. I've owned two diesels (both VW) and repaired many diesels and just can't stand the stink. Worst is stepping in it trying to fill the tank.

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The V8 is on its way out for mainstream vehicles and eventually the combustion engine itself.
I will miss them when they go and really glad I ordered it with this truck. However, as long as future electric vehicles are more Lightning and less Volt, I’ll survive.
Sponsored