First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
FF/EMT-B
So we got hit by Ian. The southern edge of the eye grazed us and we've been without power since 4pm yesterday (Wed 9/28). I wasn't expecting such an early power outage so used the gas generator last night until I went through 5 gallons of gas. By my estimations it lasted about 12-13 hours powering out fridge and 2 small fans.

This morning I pulled the truck up to the house and hooked everything up to it (gave the gas generator to a neighbor to use). I can see that the fuel meter has moved, but it's not much (it's was full minus 18 miles of driving before I hooked it to the house). Now I'm by far not using all the capacity and that's by choice. I don't know how long we will be without power and though we have the 30 gallons in the tank and 40 more on standby (had 50 but gave some to neighbors). I'm still amazed how much more efficient this is. I've maybe used 2-3 gallons of gas and that's including the probable 1 gallon I used driving prior. It's been acting as our generator for about 11 hours now. My neighbor I'm sure has already gone through the 5 gallons of gas I gave him with the generator and gotten more. (13 hours is because I took a small nap in the truck this morning with the ac....lol)

PXL_20220929_231113810.jpg
I got my PB preowned... the propower is probably something if I ordered it new I wouldn't have got "I've got a gen what do I need that for??" But the few times I've used it tenting, or powering the camper its been such an awesome feature. Tested it running my house, worked without a hitch. Someday I'll get to use it for real at the house.

Best of luck to everyone in the recovery from this storm!
Sponsored

mbouck3

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda clarity, 2005titan 2022f150 powerboost
Occupation
just retired
Add HVB voltage on your monitor. Typically SOC = voltage
actually voltage is not a reliable way to determine SOC. That is true with all of the lithium chemistry. The only reliable way is a monitor to determine power in power out.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
actually voltage is not a reliable way to determine SOC. That is true with all of the lithium chemistry. The only reliable way is a monitor to determine power in power out.
Someone hasn't viewed the voltage v. SOC variables. The PB's usable range is between 41% and 62% where the voltage and SOC map nicely.

Lithium based chemistry doesn't map to linear curves, but the curves are viewable nonetheless.

2022RedDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT Powerboost Egate Black
i wish they would've offered the hybrid option with the 5.0 liter.. ☹
You won’t miss the 5 liter unless you tow a lot. I had a 5.7 Tundra and the Powerboost is better.

LCMM55

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I live in Myrtle beach sc and did not need a generator for this storm. My 2021 powerboost has the 2.7kw generator, 2 120v outlets. Bought it used in January 2022 and was not sure about how the generator size was so important. Extentions to fridge and freezer is all i would need. I however have a Firman 9500w duel fuel which runs clean with propane. Glad you are doing OK in Florida.

Sponsored

mbouck3

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda clarity, 2005titan 2022f150 powerboost
Occupation
just retired
Someone hasn't viewed the voltage v. SOC variables. The PB's usable range is between 41% and 62% where the voltage and SOC map nicely.

Lithium based chemistry doesn't map to linear curves, but the curves are viewable nonetheless.
my PB should be here anytime and then I can do a little more deep diving. I am by no means a expert but as most I started with 1856 cells then lithium pouch and then onto 3.2 lithium iron phosphate cells in my builds for RV and home systems and always found it more accurate to track by actual testing of capacity and then monitoring power in and out to map SOC and I know my Honda clarity does the same but I think I have already been wrong a couple of times today already so I wont put any money on this but as you kind of brought up the flatness of the curve can be the problem and the settling of voltages with no loss of charge.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
You won’t miss the 5 liter unless you tow a lot. I had a 5.7 Tundra and the Powerboost is better.
I tow a lot. Why do you think I should/would miss the 5.0L?

2022RedDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT Powerboost Egate Black
I tow a lot. Why do you think I should/would miss the 5.0L?
When towing with the PB I don’t see the hybrid system doing much. The gas mileage goes back down to 15-16 mpg. (When not I get around 25mpg)

OP
OP
FrankThompson

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
When towing with the PB I don’t see the hybrid system doing much. The gas mileage goes back down to 15-16 mpg. (When not I get around 25mpg)
I would assume the electric motor will kick in to help provide more torque when needed while towing. True that you won't get much other benefit besides being able to idle for long periods of time without using a bunch of gas.

I don't see anyone being able to use the electric motor by itself for acceleration or at speed while towing.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
You get better than 15-16 towing with a 5.0?

Sponsored

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I would assume the electric motor will kick in to help provide more torque when needed while towing. True that you won't get much other benefit besides being able to idle for long periods of time without using a bunch of gas.

I don't see anyone being able to use the electric motor by itself for acceleration or at speed while towing.
I see a huge benefit when towing through a long construction zone while on an interstate. When stopped, no ICE is running. When we start up, the ICE runs until we settle at 10-15 mph. Then ICE stops and electric motor takes over.

Unless I'm going up and down mountains, I'm not in Tow/Haul mode.

xaiverson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 501a Powerboost
How is the range of the trucks modem? We live in an area prone to power outages and Verizon goes down anytime the power does. I guess they don't use any backup power out here for their cell tower. Someone mentioned ATT does though so might look into it.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
How is the range of the trucks modem? We live in an area prone to power outages and Verizon goes down anytime the power does. I guess they don't use any backup power out here for their cell tower. Someone mentioned ATT does though so might look into it.
modem works fine as long as it can touch base with a cell tower. if towers are down...no bueno

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief

you guys getting power back up yet? i saw on news lots was restored but they were devoid of specifics
stay hydrated

xaiverson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 501a Powerboost
modem works fine as long as it can touch base with a cell tower. if towers are down...no bueno
Thanks. Specifically meant the range of the cars modem to your devices. If it has enough strength to be parked outside and reach devices inside your home appropriately. Or if you need to be in or pretty near the truck.
Sponsored