First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat SCREW 5.0 3.73
Occupation
Manager
I dunno, I'd rather run a small generator and let that take the wear and tear than use a $60K+ truck to power my home for that long. I'd be okay with temporary use until you get a portable generator setup or a home generator running, but I'd just keep thinking about my truck running outside.
But let’s say someone has no need for lugging storing and maintaining a generator? Or a dozen other reasons related to convenience….

Sold my Genny when I got my current truck…
Sponsored

Dakar09

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 FPace SVR, '50 Ford F-1, '65 Ford Galaxie 500
Understood. Still don't think I'd use my truck as a generator for anything but emergencies. Then again, I'm not hip with the latest electrical doodads and hybrid stuff either. I just don't care for it. To each his/her/it's own :cool:

2BigDogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Limited, 2017 MKZ
Understood. Still don't think I'd use my truck as a generator for anything but emergencies. Then again, I'm not hip with the latest electrical doodads and hybrid stuff either. I just don't care for it. To each his/her/it's own :cool:
I have an 8K Generac portable generator that will power the whole house, but is a royal pain to pull out of storage, hook up, etc, etc. During the last snow/sleet/ice storm, I lost power for 4 hours; ran my 7.2 Kw PB for the 4 hrs and used maybe a half to a gallon of gas, if that. Generator would have used 4 gallons. Yep, my truck is the new convenient, economical emergency generator, with the portable Generac as the back up while I drive out to get gas for the "backup" generator. LOL

Dakar09

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 FPace SVR, '50 Ford F-1, '65 Ford Galaxie 500
You make good points. I will never deny how annoying it is to wheel out, hook up, and continuously refuel a portable generator. I just worry about the overall quality of new vehicles and putting this extra stress on them for what is essentially "new" technology for daily driven vehicles.

Gorgeous dogs, btw!

scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB Mid Front Bench, 2013 E350 4x4
To me that seems like a lot of fuel for that time period for 500 watts. I have the Powerboost with the 7200 watt version and I ran mine for 48 hours pulling 600 watts. Truck turned on 2-3 times an hour typically for 2-3 minutes each time. I went through 1/4 of a tank.
@labjr1 Did it really runs just 2-3 minutes when topping up the battery? When I sit in my PB to do calls / emails, it seems to run a minimum of 9-11 minutes (and that's with "Eco idle" which theoretically runs higher RPMs to minimize run time).

Sponsored

labjr1

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 PB Platinum
Occupation
IT
Yes sir. 2-3 minutes each time. It is all about the power load.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
As an office, without additional ProPower external load, I experience about 3 ICE charging cycles per hour and each lasting between 1-2.5 minutes.
Ford has definitely adjusted the HV charging parameters (with software updates) over the course of the last 3 years. I say that because originally the HV charging was immediate when the ICE started up. You could see the HV battery receiving ~62 Amps of charging current within a couple of seconds of the engine running. But currently there are times when the ICE will launch and there might be a considerable delay before the charging load is initiated. However long that delay is, determines how long ICE will run before turning back off.
If full charging (60+ amps) begins immediately, the ICE event will last almost exactly 1 minute.
If charging is delayed, and or the charging rate is ramped up gradually, the ICE event gets extended.

2Lazy2P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 3.5 EB Platinum FX4 701A
Keep in mind that the 2KW Propwoer is a floating neutral setup.
Can you please explain what this means and how it affects performance? Thanks!

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Can you please explain what this means and how it affects performance? Thanks!
There are two ways a generator can be setup: bonded neutral and floating neutral. In a bonded neutral, as on the 2.4 kw & 7.2 kw, the neutral and ground are bonded together inside the generator. In a floating neutral they are not bonded together. The issue is your house has a neutral ground bond also. When you set up a 2.4 or 7.2 kw to your house it will sense the house bond as a ground and shutdown the generator. On the 2 kW that internal bond was not set up and so the generator will only sense one neutral ground bond and won't trip the generator.
Sponsored