First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
So as some of you know it took me awhile to find the blue 6.5ft bed Platinum I was looking for
The only one I could find came with an FX4 and PowerBoost package, that I really didn't care for.
Of all the years living here we've only lost power a few times.

As I post this message I'm currently without power so I thought I would try out my PowerBoost truck and sure as 'you know what' it's working perfectly. I've got my servers running inside the house, my laptop, three monitors and all my networking is working perfectly. I'm able to continue my work.

Now granted I do not have a transfer panel. I am just running an extension cord to other extension cords to make everything work. But it's kind of cool and WAY quieter than my Generator I've owned for years.

Ford F-150 Didn't think I'd use it... but PowerBoost's Pro Power helping and working perfectly in our power outage 20230330_121032

Ford F-150 Didn't think I'd use it... but PowerBoost's Pro Power helping and working perfectly in our power outage 20230330_121055
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
You can view your usage on your phone. I turn off the screen and dim the other one for power outages. Welcome to the 'no power, no problem' club :)

It's also quiet so you don't attract unwanted attention in extended outages. Generator thefts are quite common in extended outages.

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
You can view your usage on your phone. I turn off the screen and dim the other one for power outages. Welcome to the 'no power, no problem' club :)

It's also quiet so you don't attract unwanted attention in extended outages. Generator thefts are quite common in extended outages.
Power is back on and Im disconnected so I didnt look on phone. Will next time, which will be in 5 years maybe?
:)
I guess the good news, is I can sell my Gennie now... good Lord that sucker is so loud.

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
As I post this message I'm currently without power so I thought I would try out my PowerBoost truck and sure as 'you know what' it's working perfectly. I've got my servers running inside the house, my laptop, three monitors and all my networking is working perfectly. I'm able to continue my work.
Good to see you were able to make use of the Pro Power. A couple things: 1. Did you notice you had an OTA? 2. It appears you took the picture before powering up your equipment. It would have been nice to see the consumption with everything running. How much power was it using? Did the ICE have to run much?
Ford F-150 Didn't think I'd use it... but PowerBoost's Pro Power helping and working perfectly in our power outage Inked20230330_121055

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I did thanks. I have my auto update turned off. However with that said, when I check for updates manually it says none available?
@spiritrider1 Followup...
I clicked on the update button and just informed me the 4.2.1 update was successful. No updates available as of today, at least thats populating. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Sponsored

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I did thanks. I have my auto update turned off. However with that said, when I check for updates manually it says none available?
You may want to check out this thread: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/request-vin-lookup-thread.13393/page-142#post-332692
Rugedraw can give you the latest updates you've had transmitted and if any timed out. Just give him your VIN.
Mine timed out in January for the latest update. It's a big one and many are experiencing the same issues. WiFi helps but it's not necessary. I'd assume with a large download, the stronger the WiFi, the better off you are.
Good luck!

PS - nice window sticker!

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
It sure is a tempting option to have. Especially if you rely on well water and need power to flush toilets etc..

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
You may want to check out this thread: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/request-vin-lookup-thread.13393/page-142#post-332692
Rugedraw can give you the latest updates you've had transmitted and if any timed out. Just give him your VIN.
Mine timed out in January for the latest update. It's a big one and many are experiencing the same issues. WiFi helps but it's not necessary. I'd assume with a large download, the stronger the WiFi, the better off you are.
Good luck!

PS - nice window sticker!
Thanks, I just had it reviewed a couple weeks ago and all major updates were installed just a couple small ones were needed. Then I got 4.2.1 and havent checked since.

Thanks for the compliment on the sticker. Its been on my last 4 or 5 vehicles. Other guys have replicated it around town... Walked out of FredMeyer one day and this guy was parked right next to me..
:)

Ford F-150 Didn't think I'd use it... but PowerBoost's Pro Power helping and working perfectly in our power outage 20230223_145051

shooters1380

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Tremor
Occupation
Law enforcement
Guys, I have this on my truck as well but have only used the plugs in the bed for powering my camp freezer/fridge when we day hike, and have a Dometic battery to run the fridge when we park for several hours or overnight.

Can someone school me on the “generator” mode? I think I understand how it works but correct me if I’m wrong in that when in generator mode, the truck’s engine just sits there and runs until there’s no power draw?

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Guys, I have this on my truck as well but have only used the plugs in the bed for powering my camp freezer/fridge when we day hike, and have a Dometic battery to run the fridge when we park for several hours or overnight.

Can someone school me on the “generator” mode? I think I understand how it works but correct me if I’m wrong in that when in generator mode, the truck’s engine just sits there and runs until there’s no power draw?
You have to turn the truck on for Pro Power to be enabled. You can lock it and leave as necessary. The ICE will run whenever it needs to recharge the battery. But if you are not consuming much power, it doesn't run very much. So it depends on demand. If you are pulling close to the max 7200W (or 2400W if you have the smaller one) it will run much more to keep the battery topped off. When I use mine with power equipment I'll hear it start and run for 5 or so minutes (if that), then shut off for quite a while, maybe 30 minutes or so.

Sponsored

shooters1380

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Tremor
Occupation
Law enforcement
You have to turn the truck on for Pro Power to be enabled. You can lock it and leave as necessary. The ICE will run whenever it needs to recharge the battery. But if you are not consuming much power, it doesn't run very much. So it depends on demand. If you are pulling close to the max 7200W (or 2400W if you have the smaller one) it will run much more to keep the battery topped off. When I use mine with power equipment I'll hear it start and run for 5 or so minutes (if that), then shut off for quite a while, maybe 30 minutes or so.
So basically the truck has an internal power storage system like a battery that gets recharged and converted to AC current when needed?

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
So basically the truck has an internal power storage system like a battery that gets recharged and converted to AC current when needed?
exactly...

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
The engine runs as needed for Powerboost trucks as it is powered from the high voltage battery. If you have the 2kW system on a 2.7/3.5/5.0, the engine will run constantly untill you turn off generator mode.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
It's got a 270v 1.5kWh battery. It's not like a battery, it is a battery. If power draw is below ~1.6kW continuous, it stays in hybrid mode. If it's above that it will lock RPMs to 1k RPM and run. It's the most efficient generator on the market and just happens to be part of the truck.

I've turned it 'on' to power a chop saw before, cut a dozen 2x4s and turned it back off without the ICE ever starting.

Last edited:

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
That's exactly what happens. the high voltage battery module provides DC power to an inverter module which then makes 120V/20A and 240V/30A available for use at the outlet panel in the bed. As the battery drains down, the engine turns on and the engine/electric motor combination function as a generator to charge the battery. It's quiet, powerful, and efficient. the screens can be dimmed/turned off and truck can be locked so you don't have to stand there.
Sponsored