Supercab door noise

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
I brought my truck to a different dealer. Service guy said that rattles aren't covered under warranty ... but next time I had it in for service or an oil change, they'd take a look at the noise as a goodwill gesture. He said it's tricky to adjust door alignments and could wind up creating a different noise (like windnoise). But he mentioned something useful! He said to try using some friction tape around the latch. When I got home, I added the friction tape and NOW THE NOISE IS GONE. Check out the photo.
-Nighthawk -- sounds similar to what you did?
Anyway, if any of you with supercabs are having noise issues, give this a shot.
IMG_1953.jpg
Same issue, same side (driver door). "between a squeak and a rattle" is the perfect description. Only on rough roads. On the freeway doors are silent. Somewhere up by my left ear behind the plastic trim. Is this friction tape fix still working? Seems like the latch would wear right through the tape in a few days as the doors/hinges flex and vibrate? Thanks

This is my 3rd SuperCab F-150 (others were a 1998 and a 2006) and this is the only truck to have door squeaks and rattles, grrrr
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
66F100Again

66F100Again

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'66 F100, '11 Mustang GT, '21 F150 Lariat
Same issue, same side (driver door). "between a squeak and a rattle" is the perfect description. Only on rough roads. On the freeway doors are silent. Somewhere up by my left ear behind the plastic trim. Is this friction tape fix still working? Seems like the latch would wear right through the tape in a few days as the doors/hinges flex and vibrate? Thanks

This is my 3rd SuperCab F-150 (others were a 1998 and a 2006) and this is the only truck to have door squeaks and rattles, grrrr
Yes; friction tape is still working!
I'm gonna "stick" with it, rather than risk having the dealer try to adjust the door / hinge / striker plate which could result in wind noise.
My 2004 SC doors didn't make this noise, but then again the 2004 didn't have the funky 180 degree opening hinge system like the 2021 has.

WFRTony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150, 2012 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Firefighter
I hate to revive an old thread, but I just experienced the quietest drive in my 2021 Scab since the day I brought it home. It's been to the dealer twice for the rattle/squeak; the first time, they denied hearing it, and the second time they smeared slimy goo on the weatherstripping between the doors. Since the rattle was still there, I searched Google and found this thread before I started taking the door apart.
Instead of removing the top strker, I just pulled the trim cover off and used a long 3/8" ratchet extension to pry the striker down and in, then I whacked it a few times with a nylon hammer; basically I bent the bracket slightly instead of moving it. There is still a slight rattle/squeak when I hit a big bump, but the small bumps are significantly quieter.
Sponsored