Sponsored

Wind noise

Bubba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150 King Ranch
Not even going to waste my time with that approach. i.e. - "Not able to duplicate" or "They all have this noise"
I understand completely. Itis truly sad.
I have a 2020 King Ranch. It is ridiculous that I have a 70K truck and dealing with these wind noise issues. This is the first Ford I have bought in 30 years. Now I am remembering why. I have been around the world and have owned several makes of vehicles. I have never had a wind noise issue like I am with this truck. I have my truck at the dealership now and they are having issues figuring out what is causing the wind noise. Absurd!!!

I will post any fixes that the dealership finds if they can figure it out.
OK, Figured out that the issue was caused by after-market vent visors. I have had these visors on all my vehicles for years, so not sure why it is an issue now but it is. I was informed I need to get "low Profile" vent visors.
Sponsored

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
OK, Figured out that the issue was caused by after-market vent visors. I have had these visors on all my vehicles for years, so not sure why it is an issue now but it is. I was informed I need to get "low Profile" vent visors.
Im taking my AVS in-channel visors off...the wind noise is awful...not to mention the 'auto' up doesnt work with them...

MattM

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4
Update on my end...

As mentioned, my "wind noise" issue is coming from the driver-side mirror and starts at around 45-50 mph. I can stop the wind noise by folding in the mirrors while driving. I also taped the gaps on the side-mirror and was able to stop the noise.

I had some extra 3/8" latex tubing after trying the door weather strip fix (didn't work and made door fit too tight, removed). I cut the latex tubing to fit the vertical and horizontal gaps shown below and tried one at a time. The wind noise was still present with only the vertical gap filled and with only the horizontal gap filled. The only way I can stop the noise is with BOTH the vertical and horizontal gaps filled.

Over the last month I have been driving with the latex tubing in these gaps with no wind noise and to be honest, the tubing is hardly noticeable (black tubing). However, I did recently observe the surface of the tubing beginning to crack, likely due to UV exposure. I may look for some UV resistant EPDM tubing or similar and install in the same manner. If I can find a material that will hold up to the elements, my next step is to see how I can permanently glue to one side of the gap to allow the mirror to fold without the tubing falling out.

1627999816193.png
Ford F-150 Wind noise 20210928_074420
Thanks for this information. I resolved it by placing some adhesive foam tape in both those location with the mirrors closed. When the mirrors are
Ford F-150 Wind noise 20211001_160426
deployed it is hardly noticeable and resolved the noise problem.

True North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-125 Ford One Gallon Flush Toilet
Not even going to waste my time with that approach. i.e. - "Not able to duplicate" or "They all have this noise"
Precisely. My 21 truck drivers door sounds like the window is down or cracked starting @ 20 mph and it goes from there. It`s extremely irritating driving it just getting out of the neighborhood much less a trip somewhere. The noise was easily able to be duplicated at the dealer and the response was "They all have this noise". Please don't besiege me with tape tricks as they`ve all been tried. If I haven't got the truck sold by this winter I have a body shop that said they would tried to fix it some what but not to hold my breath as the truck really needs a new drivers door. They are pretty sure the door is warped. This and a multitude of other problems easily make this the worst vehicle I`ve ever owned. I have two "For Sale" signs in the truck windows and I let every prospective buyer know all the reasons I`m selling it. I`m not going to screw someone like ford screwed me and not disclose the truck is a lemon.
G.L.T.A.

bassaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 3.5L
True North...Unfortunate to hear your experience. I must say though, besides this little nuisance wind noise deal which probably 75% of the population would never pick up on, my '21 truck is absolutely flawless and I would not give it up for anything! Still hoping for a permanent fix but for now, 10 cents worth of black latex tubing to fill the gap in the driver-side mirror is enough to make me forget about the noise for going on 5 months now.

Sponsored

True North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-125 Ford One Gallon Flush Toilet
True North...Unfortunate to hear your experience. I must say though, besides this little nuisance wind noise deal which probably 75% of the population would never pick up on, my '21 truck is absolutely flawless and I would not give it up for anything! Still hoping for a permanent fix but for now, 10 cents worth of black latex tubing to fill the gap in the driver-side mirror is enough to make me forget about the noise for going on 5 months now.
That`s great you didn`t get the defects that I've got on this truck. The passenger can hear the wind noise on the drivers side of my truck. As mentioned, all the easy fixes have been tried. Just a problem to go with the other problems I guess.
G.L.T.A.

BSD_USER66

First Name
freeBSD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Limited, 2015 Platinum, 2014 XLT, 1993 XL
Occupation
Cyber Security
That`s great you didn`t get the defects that I've got on this truck. The passenger can hear the wind noise on the drivers side of my truck. As mentioned, all the easy fixes have been tried. Just a problem to go with the other problems I guess.
G.L.T.A.
I had a similiar issue on my 2014 XLT after some extensive hail damage. It was just never the same, like the structure of the door(s) had broken down too far. It was terrible and frustrating, and p!ssed me off everytime I drove. I feel your frustration, best to sell it and get something else, not worth the continued aggravation.

Mxp0w3r25

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Thanks for this information. I resolved it by placing some adhesive foam tape in both those location with the mirrors closed. When the mirrors are
20211001_160426.jpg
deployed it is hardly noticeable and resolved the noise problem.
I can confirm I hear this wind noise, when I fold the mirrors in the noise goes away. My truck was built 9/21. It’s not that bad but still might cover those gaps like you did to get rid of it.

OP
OP

mnsunset

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150/1965 Mustang
Occupation
Self Employed
Its been way too long since I logged on. Thats what happens when your truck arrives and life goes on. Anyway. I finally found the wind noise. It was indeed the bug deflector. It is a ford part, ordered from the dealer. I had to use tape to start covering every seam on the truck. Finally found a three inch area of the bug guard that was the cause. I used that foam weather stripping stuff. Its about a half inch round and pushed it under the deflector. You can not see it, but the noise is now gone!

Whoskyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Its been way too long since I logged on. Thats what happens when your truck arrives and life goes on. Anyway. I finally found the wind noise. It was indeed the bug deflector. It is a ford part, ordered from the dealer. I had to use tape to start covering every seam on the truck. Finally found a three inch area of the bug guard that was the cause. I used that foam weather stripping stuff. Its about a half inch round and pushed it under the deflector. You can not see it, but the noise is now gone!
Pics?

Sponsored

Tremor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Tremor
Occupation
Michelin North America
Anyone having issues with wind noise. Normally I have tunes playing but at times passengers along. Its then that I notice wind noise. Whislting. Anyone know how to locate it and what the possible causes are.? My wife is going to throw a fit if she hears it in our new ride......
I have this also in my 2021 Tremor. Seems to be in the back seat area somewhere.

FXDR131

First Name
Paige
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 XLT SC Sport - On Order - 2022 Lariat SC 4x4
Occupation
Business Owner
I've had two 21's in my possession.. Both had wind noise and whistling over 55mph.. Different locations of the whistling though.. Wondering if it's the fender badges or something.. Haven't really started to look for it yet..
I think it is the door handle. Because when I lost my door handle shell last winter, it go worse. Not a definite....but could be.

Nickdaquick

First Name
Mikolaj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 fprd f150
Occupation
Construction
Hey guys, I have 2019 ford f150...I just bought it and the wind noise also occurred...it was so annoying even with music on....I read different forums and tried to find solution.it seemed all complicated issues, so I thought I will go to the dealer and complain....
However this morning I unscrewed the antenna on the truck and guess what, the noise is gone.... I'm not sure if the newer trucks still have the long ugly ass looking antenna, bit maybe it's worth a try...
It was suspicious to me that everybody was complaining about wind noise coming from the passenger side of the truck, so voila...problem fixed...ordered short antenna from amazon

BigPaulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 5.0
Occupation
US Army (Ret)/GS Civilian
My 10/4 built S-crew has the same issue. The drivers mirror sounds like a wind tunnel. Shitty that Ford would design such crap. Nobody in FoMoCo sat in it in the wind tunnel? Guess I'm going to buy the tow mirrors.

swill

First Name
shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A , 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
US Army Retired
My 10/4 built S-crew has the same issue. The drivers mirror sounds like a wind tunnel. Shitty that Ford would design such crap. Nobody in FoMoCo sat in it in the wind tunnel? Guess I'm going to buy the tow mirrors.
Let me know how that works out. I really don’t like the look of the tow mirrors but if it fixes the problem I am game.
Sponsored