Sponsored

Door Panel Rattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 on order
I had a rattle in my driver door armrest area that sounded like a piece of plastic tapping on metal, and I took the door panel off more times than I can remember with no luck. Also had the dealer look at it 3 times and they found nothing loose in the door (after lying and saying they couldn’t hear it 🙄). Finally realized it had to be the door itself, so I did a few things and got rid of the rattle:
  1. Put 4-5 loops of electrical tape on the striker where the latch catches it. I also wrapped the two other parts of the striker with one loop of quiet tape
  2. I put a long strip of the quiet tape on the cab frame in the area directly behind the striker
  3. I noticed that the weather stripping on the door by the latch has an unusually long amount of space between anchors and it was a bit bent outward and not sitting flush like it was on my other doors. I used some silicone sealant to secure it in place
  4. I rubbed all the weatherstripping with silicone lubricant
  5. There’s a plastic piece that’s mounted to the leading edge of the rear door that has a rubber seal to bridge the gap between the front and rear doors. I noticed it felt more loose than the passenger side so in between each of the mounts for the trim piece I used gorilla tape to keep the plastic tight on the rear door
Not sure if it was one, some or all of these that fixed the issue, but worth a try if you’re at a loss like I was. If I had to guess, I would guess that the loose weatherstripping was causing some give in the door and that was resulting in movement from the loose plastic piece mounted on the rear door. Hopefully this helps somebody - good luck!
Sponsored

Last edited: