Sponsored

Software Update Preferences not working?

Vinnrox250

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F150 Limited & '21 Ford Explorer Platinum
I know it seems odd to hear that your battery state of charge is prohibiting an update from being installed but if you think about it for a second.........
Sure, your truck is new.
And your battery may seem plenty healthy from your standpoint, afterall, it fires right up! :)

But what you have to consider is that the truck would not be running and so it would essentially be in accessory mode for a long period of time. In fact, if you were manually installing the update with Ford's FDRS interface, you are instructed to have the battery on a charger during the procedure.

Many of these dealership fails have proven to be technicians ignoring the instructions in FDRS and draining customer's batteries below the threshold that the truck must be at to successfully update.

Honestly I think it's incredibly ambitious of Ford to attempt some of these updates OTA for just this reason. And it's confusing to the customer to get those notifications of OTA failure and not include the battery situation and requirements.

Putting your battery on a charger to get a big OTA is still easier than dealing with the dealerships though. Right? :)
Yeah that makes sense. Since the truck‘s not running the batteries just being depleted. What sucks is I just had the truck of the dealership like a month or so ago and they did a bunch of updates and I was up-to-date other than bluecruise, which I know has been a major issue update. I’m just staying away from that all together.

Any suggestions on what kind of charger to get? I’m not too familiar with stuff like this so I wanna make sure I get the right thing. Or I’m just going to turn off automatic updates altogether and let the dealership deal with it whenever the truck goes in for service.

yeah, if the update is this large and difficult to do over the air, it shouldn’t be an over the air update. Especially when the update just keeps on trying and doesn’t tell you hey hook up to a charger, or give you any kind of reason as to why it failed.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The infamous FDRS thread suggested this one (link below) and many folks, including myself, have had complete success converting our 2021 incomplete trucks to basically 2022 F150's. :)

Clore Automotive PL2320 20-Amp Fully-Automatic Smart Charger, 6V and 12V Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, and Stable Power Supply with Temperature Compensation https://a.co/d/8Royl36

Vinnrox250

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The infamous FDRS thread suggested this one (link below) and many folks, including myself, have had complete success converting our 2021 incomplete trucks to basically 2022 F150's. :)

Clore Automotive PL2320 20-Amp Fully-Automatic Smart Charger, 6V and 12V Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, and Stable Power Supply with Temperature Compensation https://a.co/d/8Royl36
Thank you! I’ll check that thread out too. And by saying you’ve converted the 2021 incomplete trucks to 2022s, is it safe to say you have cameras in motion and blue cruise? Is it all over the air updates?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you! I’ll check that thread out too. And by saying you’ve converted the 2021 incomplete trucks to 2022s, is it safe to say you have cameras in motion and blue cruise? Is it all over the air updates?
I might be a unique example regarding your question. :)

I was driving a 2021 Platinum Powerboost when I first came across the FDRS thread. Literally the day Iceman created the thread.

I'm a sucker for adventure, so I immediately fetched a license and hooked up to my truck. Wow! How could my fancy sweet truck be that far behind? :)

I did upwards of 24 module updates. Each time I thought I was up to date, Ford would make more available because those updates were contingent on previous updates to be performed. (Similar to say a new Windows laptop that had been in inventory for a few months)

I was amazed as the truck became more "polished" and new features appeared. And yes, cameras at speed is a good example.

When my 2022 KingRanch Powerboost arrived at the dealership a couple of months ago I was fully aware that I was trading in perhaps one of the rarest 2021 F150's in the country! Afterall, in the grand scheme of things, only a tiny percentage of the 2021 F150's out there are actually up to date. Literally what Ford had intended to be true for several hundred thousand 2021 F150's. :)

I had my salesman sit in my trade in as I explained this to him. He drives a 2021 KingRanch and was completely unaware that his truck was so behind. Lol

One of the sales management staff heard the story and drove the truck around in the parking lot for a few minutes. (huge lot almost completely empty these days) He snagged the truck as his personal demo vehicle and thanked me for mentioning everything I am saying here.

Vinnrox250

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I might be a unique example regarding your question. :)

I was driving a 2021 Platinum Powerboost when I first came across the FDRS thread. Literally the day Iceman created the thread.

I'm a sucker for adventure, so I immediately fetched a license and hooked up to my truck. Wow! How could my fancy sweet truck be that far behind? :)

I did upwards of 24 module updates. Each time I thought I was up to date, Ford would make more available because those updates were contingent on previous updates to be performed. (Similar to say a new Windows laptop that had been in inventory for a few months)

I was amazed as the truck became more "polished" and new features appeared. And yes, cameras at speed is a good example.

When my 2022 KingRanch Powerboost arrived at the dealership a couple of months ago I was fully aware that I was trading in perhaps one of the rarest 2021 F150's in the country! Afterall, in the grand scheme of things, only a tiny percentage of the 2021 F150's out there are actually up to date. Literally what Ford had intended to be true for several hundred thousand 2021 F150's. :)

I had my salesman sit in my trade in as I explained this to him. He drives a 2021 KingRanch and was completely unaware that his truck was so behind. Lol

One of the sales management staff heard the story and drove the truck around in the parking lot for a few minutes. (huge lot almost completely empty these days) He snagged the truck as his personal demo vehicle and thanked me for mentioning everything I am saying here.
Oh wow, that's wild it was that far behind!! I will say mine was not updated, but then it went to Ford and my uncle said I was way behind and had tons of updates, and then the OTA updates started. But I am going to 2.8.1, with my now ordered charger, and will see what comes next. I feel like if you need a charger to update, its probably not something most consumers should mess with. Lol.

I still do not have cameras in motion, bummer. Will see if that ever comes to my build. *EDITJesse advised that is in 2.8.3

Not sure that I will get a license, I am not comfortable with software stuff to this level. But I would love being current on the software, despite what I am reading, with some saying they are going backwards.

Sponsored

Aim64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Limited Ordered 2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Scrap Metal Industry
Curious if anyone else has seen this.

Recently, my Software Update preferences seem to be resetting themselves. When I go to the System Updates preferences, the Automatic Update toggles are off, and despite tapping them, they will not slide over to Enabled. They were enabled in the past, and I don't recall disabling them. I've also tried setting an update Schedule; I entered the time and day of the week, hit Save, and the next time I start the truck, the schedule is gone.

Everything else with Sync is working fine. As far as I know I haven't gotten 1.7.x or 2.1 yet.
I had my 2021 Platinum at the dealership for 7 days to fix the OTA. The APIM was replaced. My OTA updates are working again. You need to have your dealer fix this problem. I read a couple of blogs on this site that some people tried to update it themselves, but I think it's better to have it fixed at the dealer.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had my 2021 Platinum at the dealership for 7 days to fix the OTA. The APIM was replaced. My OTA updates are working again. You need to have your dealer fix this problem. I read a couple of blogs on this site that some people tried to update it themselves, but I think it's better to have it fixed at the dealer.
I mean no offense but handing the keys to my beloved truck to a dealership service writer? Especially when I could avoid it?

How can that be "better"?

This forum is like a non-stop podium of fellas grief and frustration and outright vitriol brought on by the experience of handing it over.

Besides, I've found the whole thing rather enjoyable and an amazing learning experience. I admit it isn't for everyone, but I never felt alone or out on a limb. The support and generosity here is amazing.

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired
The dealer matters. The first dealer I went to had my truck 2 times for 12 days and couldn't fix it. Said it needed a new APIM. Dealer #2 fixed it in a matter of a couple hours without a new APIM.
I have given that idea a thought, but the small town dealers in my area look sideways at you when you ask for service when you did not buy it there.
Nice it only took a couple of hours. My dealer stated about 4-1/2 to finish the job. If I went to other nearest Ford location I would hate to wait around dealership that long when home would be 22 miles away. Whole thing is a bummer!

Diacritical

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Hybrid
The Ford dealership has had mine for nearly four weeks total now (including the last two weeks) without being able to apply an update. They say the APIM is fine but that the truck just won't take an update. I keep getting notices that it is entering deep sleep when they do it and they once let it slip that the battery was dying, but they say they have a tender on it (I think they connected it wrong, failing to follow the TSB). Now they have a shop foreman and two techs on it and they are waiting to hear from Ford. I know it's in the shop and not just parked outside, but this is starting to get frustrating. I am leaving town for a week but I told them I want it back fixed when I return and if it's not fixed, I'll do it myself and mock them mercilessly online when I do.

I wonder if @Ford Motor Company has read through this thread.

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I took someone's suggestion and found another dealer. When they had me show up at one in the afternoon and it would take about an hour, I was sure they had no idea of what needed to be done. After and hour and a half they stated they could not fix it. So I stopped at the dealer I bought the truck from and they said the cable they needed arrived after a 10 week wait. They would call on Thursday after the electronics guy got back from some training. Well, they never called on Thursday. This is getting, no this is already beyond disgusting trying to get this dam truck fixed. Nobody seems to give a dam. Good thing I am old and it will be the last truck I will buy.

Sponsored

Aim64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Scrap Metal Industry
I had my 21 Platty EB @ the dealer in June for 5 days and got the OTA unfrozen , and they did all of the updates which I didn’t get from when I took the delivery of my truck back in August 2021. I had my APIM replaced.
If you are not satisfied contact Ford Over the air updates at (833) 389-0848.
They should. be able to coordinate with Ford Engineering and your dealership.
If your not getting any results contact EAP.

Demps

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
You can also try customer relations @ 800.392.3673.
In either case gat a case number.

Diacritical

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Hybrid
Ford had them order a new APIM, so they gave it back to me today (est 2 months for a new one). Of course, they disconnected my tonneau cover so I cannot open it or close it and I can no longer use intelligent cruise control. Oh — and they removed the USB-C port and replaced it with USB-A port. Reading the tea leaves, they thought the port was causing communication problems (it was not) and the bed cover was draining the battery (it was not — they don't know how to read a TSB and follow directions). Not sure why I cannot select intelligent cruise anymore as I usually use that to keep my lead foot under control. I'm heading out of town for a week, but when I get back they will be fixing these issues.

Aim64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Scrap Metal Industry
That’s a lot of issues after they replaced your APIM. I would definitely contact Client Relations regarding your issues.
It was obvious that the dealer didn’t follow the TSB on replacing the APIM..
Sponsored