Sponsored

Ford Power-Up software update NOT installing...

Scott_W

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Cyber Analyst
On a different Ford forum many people have claimed the the Ford Power-Up software update is not installing. Even after multiple attempts, their trucks are simply not getting the update installed.

Help in Arizona - Scott
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
It's true. OTA updates can fail multiple times. And then suddenly succeed.

You may or may not be able to do anything to assist success.

Some folks just intervene and manually install the update themselves. Requires an inve$tment for the license and OBD adapter.

OP
OP

Scott_W

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Cyber Analyst
Well GOOD NEWS. I spoke to an engineer in the OTA group. Issue fixed!!! So the notifications that repeatedly try to install the update are incorrect in mist cases. Its called a "False Negative" in the computer world. This is what they gave me for a fix. Open the screen to the schedule update one. Now... On your radio ( yes radio)! Press the fast forward button >> (just left of tuning knob) AND the black button on the volume knob at the SAME time for 12 seconds. The screen will go black (rebooting). Next, go to the Update Scheduling screen again. Now you should see a button to manually update. Press it and exit your truck. Truck must be not running. The update process will begin and just let it complete ( say 30 minutes. You can observe from outside the driver window. VOILA !!! Fixed!!! No more reschudule notifications. Youre up to date!!! Scott AZ

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
You will see special icon at top of screen if there is an update downloaded. Tap on that and your install button will appear.

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
Well GOOD NEWS. I spoke to an engineer in the OTA group. Issue fixed!!! So the notifications that repeatedly try to install the update are incorrect in mist cases. Its called a "False Negative" in the computer world. This is what they gave me for a fix. Open the screen to the schedule update one. Now... On your radio ( yes radio)! Press the fast forward button >> (just left of tuning knob) AND the black button on the volume knob at the SAME time for 12 seconds. The screen will go black (rebooting). Next, go to the Update Scheduling screen again. Now you should see a button to manually update. Press it and exit your truck. Truck must be not running. The update process will begin and just let it complete ( say 30 minutes. You can observe from outside the driver window. VOILA !!! Fixed!!! No more reschudule notifications. Youre up to date!!! Scott AZ
Great information! Thanks for sharing this with the forum! 😊

Sponsored

KGanz

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Is the button your refer to as the manual update button labeled "Update Now"? I usually have that button and in this case, even after trying the above solution it still fails to install. Obviously I have different issue. I've had the downloaded update icon at the top for weeks.
May need a new battery.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
This is a simple APIM reset. While I am glad it worked for you, this procedure is not 100% fool-proof. Many people have updates continue to fail after an APIM reset,

musman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 , 2022 Edge ST, 2017 Shelby GT350
I have done all of the above numerous times and stil hasn’t worked. WiFi signal is good and battery seems to be fine. ( 2021 with 20K ). I’m at a lost.

OP
OP

Scott_W

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Cyber Analyst
Is the button your refer to as the manual update button labeled "Update Now"? I usually have that button and in this case, even after trying the above solution it still fails to install. Obviously I have different issue. I've had the downloaded update icon at the top for weeks.
May need a new battery.
Try the FF and Volume buttons.... @ thevsame time for 12 seconds.... Then cont reading... ....... post. Best wishes. !!!

OP
OP

Scott_W

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Cyber Analyst
This is a simple APIM reset. While I am glad it worked for you, this procedure is not 100% fool-proof. Many people have updates continue to fail after an APIM reset,
Yes.. I tried many other suggestions. At LAST this worked beautifullly. Good luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Scott_W

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Cyber Analyst
No. APIM reset is different. Follow my simple directions please

Last edited:
OP
OP

Scott_W

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Cyber Analyst
No, sorry. APIM reset is very certainly different than what I've detailed. Pls follow my procedure NOT APIM reset.
Sponsored