TXBJJ

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 3.5 ecoboost XLT Sport Max Tow FX4
SCREW short bed.

Sure. I liked the mod. Basically I plan to put Bilsteins in set at 1.5 in the front which Is almost the same as removing the blocks. Now that I have towed a bit with the blocks out I'm confident that this level will work.
Sponsored

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
SCREW short bed.

Sure. I liked the mod. Basically I plan to put Bilsteins in set at 1.5 in the front which Is almost the same as removing the blocks. Now that I have towed a bit with the blocks out I'm confident that this level will work.
Yeah I think that's a good way to go, but I'd rather mess with rear geometry than front end stuff.

nezff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew 5.0 Space White
Occupation
Firefighter
Posting my 'block removal exercise' just FYI ....

As mentioned in a previous post I've got a 4WD 145" WB Supercab which uses a ~72" long 1-piece driveshaft from the tranny / transfer case to the rear differential (no intermediate support / U-joint).

After examining a 2WD 145" WB Supercab on a dealer lot I found that not only are the U-bolts shorter but also the bump-stops are shorter (presumably to allow similar total suspension travel without the blocks).

Back to my truck I carefully measured clearances and found the shorter bump-stops would still afford plenty of clearance along the entire driveline in a worst-case maximum-travel excursion.

I used my rotating laser-level (a construction-site tool) to determine the change in differential / pinion angle before and after removing the OE ~1.2" blocks (with full 36 gallon fuel tank, the truck resting on the wheels).

Within the limits of my measuring tools I could discern no change in the differential / pinion angle relative to the truck chassis line (bottom of the straight length of frame under the bed). IOW the differential is just 1.2" higher in the chassis with no measurable change in angle relative to the chassis. Based on this I've concluded that in my case the block removal slightly reduces the effective pinion-to-driveshaft angle at rest (the driveshaft is angled up going forward from the differential).

The PN's I installed are:
2WD U-bolts ML3Z*5705*A (quantity 4)
2WD Bump-Stops ML3Z*4730*A (quantity 2)

The resultant ~1.2" lower bed height directly over the axle obviously reduces the 'static rake' a corresponding amount. For me the benefit is reducing the minimum height of my 5th wheel hitch so my RV trailer now rides 'level' when loaded; when hitched my relatively light (for a 5th wheel) trailer increases my rear sag by slightly under 1" and decreases the front sag by an almost immeasurable ~1/8"~3/16". Those 'sag' dimensions did not change with the block removal.
I wanted to remove mine, but was too scared to do so because of the pinion angle. Brand new truck, dont want to screw it up.

Iroquois Cage

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 RCSB 5.0
Took mine out of my 23 RCSB in about an hour for both sides, but its a FX4. Torqued the nuts to about 100ft/lbs. The U bolts are a touch longer now, but nothing crazy. Not enough to warrant getting shorter ones, for me at least.

RuggedGoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 XLT 157" 302a
Anyone have the part # for the 4wd u bolts? If way cheaper, probably better to buy 4x of those and just cut the extra off. Shouldn't new nuts be used as well?

EditL it was already posted: ML3Z5705A

It's basically just as expensive as the 4wd bolts, never mind.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I wanted to remove mine, but was too scared to do so because of the pinion angle. Brand new truck, dont want to screw it up.
No matter what anyone else has done on a forum, IMO it's very important that you stay within your own personal comfort zone without any need to explain the basis for that to anyone else, so I say to you: "No Worries!" ;)

there's no feeling quite as bad as bowing to peer pressure and then regretting it

nezff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew 5.0 Space White
Occupation
Firefighter
No matter what anyone else has done on a forum, IMO it's very important that you stay within your own personal comfort zone without any need to explain the basis for that to anyone else, so I say to you: "No Worries!" ;)

there's no feeling quite as bad as bowing to peer pressure and then regretting it
not really peer pressure, I def want to raise the front or lower the back. I was after the easier way. Seems there is always an issue with both.

Mach725

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 XLT Sport 302A 2.7L Space white
Just removed my blocks from my 22 xlt screw. What a pain in the ass getting the springs to line back up and fall back into place. Did not think it was going to be that difficult.

maintainin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 502A Screw SB 4x4
Hi all, first time poster here! I have a 2022 F-150 Lariat Supercrew SB 4x4 I recently put 24" wheels on and hate the rake. I removed the blocks last weekend. Sorry, I didn't take a before picture, but I can definitely tell that some rake has been taken out of the rear. The blocks are 1 1/4" thick and flat. Here's the truck after removing the blocks:

Ford F-150 Anyone remove rear blocks? truck1

I bought new 4x4 U-bolts (not spending a small fortune for the 2WD u-bolts) and nuts and also used a couple of washers, but these are not necessary. I used a standard 3 1/4" long craftsman deep well socket and it was long enough. 13/16 is the exact nut size. Here's a pic after it was done:

Ford F-150 Anyone remove rear blocks? 1

Removal was really easy. All I used was a floor jack and a couple of 2x4 wood blocks( Jack not quite high enough). Removed the nuts and bottom bracket on one side, placed the floor jack body lined up as parallel to the leaf spring as possible and also placed as close to the axle as possible and simply jacked up the leaf spring until I had enough clearance to remove the block. Lowered with no alignment issues and torqued progressively in a cross pattern 30-60-90-111 ft-lbs and repeated on the other side.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned though is on top of my left leaf spring is a little bracket attached to a lever. The bracket is in the way of removing the left rear u-bolt, in that there's not enough space between the bracket and the lip of the u-bolt saddle to remove that u-bolt, so I just left that u-bolt and used new nuts. Didn't feel like fooling with that bracket. Here's what I'm talking about:

Ford F-150 Anyone remove rear blocks? 2

Anyone know what this does? Since it's attached to the leaf spring I assume it has something to do with towing.

I want to add 1" lowering shackles to lower a bit more. I assume I will need to add the 2.5 degree shims if I do this? Also, going back to that lever on the left spring, would there be any implications to adding the lowering shackles and in effect raising the leaf spring an inch? If that lever indeed has something to do with the towing system, would that reduced height throw something off? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Edit: So I found out that lever on the leaf spring is for the auto adjusting headlights. Considering that removing the blocks doesn't change the position of that lever, my headlights have not auto-adjusted from removing the blocks. I can't tell a difference driving and I haven't had anyone flashing their high beams at me, so maybe removing the blocks hasn't made a noticeable difference.

Last edited:

FirstFord

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCab 502A, 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
and torqued progressively in a cross pattern 30-60-90-111 ft-lbs and repeated on the other side.
The torque values and sequence for the rear axle U-bolts have been stated in many posts. What I find interesting was the torque value that I found when I removed the original (Ford installed) nuts on the axle U-bolts....

I still have the first torque wrench I ever bought back in the early 1970s - it was the "needle"style, similar to this:

Ford F-150 Anyone remove rear blocks? Needle Torque Wrench

A number of years later, I upgraded to a ratchet/dial type which is much more common today (and even those are considered old-fashioned when compared to the digital models), but I always kept the old-school needle torque wrench. One of the few advantages of this old style wrench is that the scale can be readily observed in either direction.

I was starting the process of removing the 4x4 rear axle blocks to lower the rear, and just out of curiosity, I used this old-school wrench. All the nuts broke loose at 60~65 ft./lbs. Considering the 111 ft/lb spec, I found this pretty interesting....

Sponsored

maintainin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 502A Screw SB 4x4
The torque values and sequence for the rear axle U-bolts have been stated in many posts. What I find interesting was the torque value that I found when I removed the original (Ford installed) nuts on the axle U-bolts....

I still have the first torque wrench I ever bought back in the early 1970s - it was the "needle"style, similar to this:

Needle Torque Wrench.jpg

A number of years later, I upgraded to a ratchet/dial type which is much more common today (and even those are considered old-fashioned when compared to the digital models), but I always kept the old-school needle torque wrench. One of the few advantages of this old style wrench is that the scale can be readily observed in either direction.

I was starting the process of removing the 4x4 rear axle blocks to lower the rear, and just out of curiosity, I used this old-school wrench. All the nuts broke loose at 60~65 ft./lbs. Considering the 111 ft/lb spec, I found this pretty interesting....
That is interesting. There might be some science behind that, but I certainly don't know why. I can say that when I removed the original nuts to start the block removal, it felt like it didn't take much effort to loosen them. Definitely not the same amount of effort (111 ft/lb) that it took to tighten them. I've checked the torque on these four times since the original block removal and with the exception of the first check, where I had to retorque a tiny bit, they've stayed at 111 ft/lbs. I'll probably check once more when the temp drops considerably.

Last edited:

FirstFord

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCab 502A, 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
I can say that when I removed the original nuts to start the block removal, it felt like it didn't take much effort to loosen them. Definitely not the same amount of effort (111 ft/lb) that it took to tighten them.
Obviously, your experience is anecdotal evidence, but to me, it leans towards supporting what I found. It leaves me at a fork in the flowchart of thinking in seeking a conclusion:
1) The torque value that I observed when removing the nuts were actual, and they were not tightened to spec at the factory.
2) The nuts were tightened to spec at the factory, and over the 11,000 miles that I have driven the truck since taking delivery, they have loosened.
3) There is some principal of physics or mechanical engineering that can provide a rational explanation.

I'm really hoping for explanation #3, because the first two are rather unsettling, if not downright scary 😱. And if it is #3, I'd love to hear from someone who can school me....

TXBJJ

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 3.5 ecoboost XLT Sport Max Tow FX4
Obviously, your experience is anecdotal evidence, but to me, it leans towards supporting what I found. It leaves me at a fork in the flowchart of thinking in seeking a conclusion:
1) The torque value that I observed when removing the nuts were actual, and they were not tightened to spec at the factory.
2) The nuts were tightened to spec at the factory, and over the 11,000 miles that I have driven the truck since taking delivery, they have loosened.
3) There is some principal of physics or mechanical engineering that can provide a rational explanation.

I'm really hoping for explanation #3, because the first two are rather unsettling, if not downright scary 😱. And if it is #3, I'd love to hear from someone who can school me....
I had the same experience when I took off the nuts. They came loose easily with the turn of a wrench. No way they were tightened down to 100+ lb/ft.

lilburnedbear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Crew Cab Powerboost
Occupation
Underwriter
Just removed my blocks from my 22 xlt screw. What a pain in the ass getting the springs to line back up and fall back into place. Did not think it was going to be that difficult.
I tried yesterday and gave up after spending 90 min trying to align the pins back in on the passenger side. Luckily they went back into the block w/o a problem and could get the bolts back on and torqued.

Is there a trick to doing this “easy mod”? Like: to use a bottle jack instead of a floor Jack on the leaf springs? The pins weren’t so much askew side to side as they were front to back.

nikon858

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23’ f150 platinum powerboost
I tried yesterday and gave up after spending 90 min trying to align the pins back in on the passenger side. Luckily they went back into the block w/o a problem and could get the bolts back on and torqued.

Is there a trick to doing this “easy mod”? Like: to use a bottle jack instead of a floor Jack on the leaf springs? The pins weren’t so much askew side to side as they were front to back.
As your lowering the springs back onto the axle just grab the tire and roll it to where you need it to line up. I didn’t even have to put the truck in neutral, there was enough slop.
Sponsored