Sponsored

RAS added 1.5" to rear - remove blocks next?

SM77

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150
New 2023 Platinum PB short bed. Daily driver (pavement only) and will be pulling a 24' ATC race car trailer (total should be around 7500 lbs with everything) come spring and summer (about 6-8 times a year).
Will be using my old Equalizer hitch.

I installed Bilstein 5100s in the rear and then added the RAS HD kit.
The RAS HD added 1.5" to the rear (1mm/white shim) and I will adjust it higher if needed. Haven't tried to hook the trailer up yet since it is buried in some snow.

I did a quick drive after the RAS install and it didn't really make too much of a difference unloaded. It is slightly better planted in the rear, but it has made the front feel more crashy/harsh but that might just be in comparison. Guess the rabbit hole will mean 5100s in the front soon too. (I really don't want to change the height in the front but I do think better damping in the front will help). I recognize that this my first truck and I'm used to German SUVs and a certain level of responsiveness and handling. Then again, towing the 24' trailer with a Mercedes GLS was always slightly over the edge so this truck's capability is where I'm at.

Aside from having to loosen/tighten the RAS and make sure it is centered, I don't see any downsides to removing the rear blocks, right? It should give me back about 1.5" (maybe closer to an 1") and lower the rear back to almost where it was prior to the RAS / stock, but thought I'd check in case I'm missing something. Will probably think about adding the Steeda rear sway bar too.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Running slightly higher pressures helps a bit firming up the ride. Try 40-42 psi. If you're unloaded in the rear and don't mind adjusting, keep the rear ~4 psi lower than the fronts until it's trailer time. 41f/37r is good balance for the PB. It's a heavy truck, with you in it it's sitting at 6200lbs with a full tank. Stock suspension is a bit soft, but the tires are a factor in that as well.

GIjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 f250
I’m surprised Ras gave you that much lift. I have the same hd kit set with the white disc and got 5/8 lift. I have a light xlt vs your powerboost

OP
OP

SM77

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150
Running slightly higher pressures helps a bit firming up the ride. Try 40-42 psi. If you're unloaded in the rear and don't mind adjusting, keep the rear ~4 psi lower than the fronts until it's trailer time. 41f/37r is good balance for the PB. It's a heavy truck, with you in it it's sitting at 6200lbs with a full tank. Stock suspension is a bit soft, but the tires are a factor in that as well.
I’m fine adding air as part of hooking up.
Definitely not a fan of the Hankook’s that came on it, but will put some miles on it before swapping rubber. I will give it some air and take a drive. Thanks.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
pay attention to the witness marks on the tires. The stocks were just rolling under too much. Higher pressure helped, but you can see just how much flex they have by looking at how much of the tread that goes up the sidewall makes contact in cornering.

Sponsored

OP
OP

SM77

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150
I’m surprised Ras gave you that much lift. I have the same hd kit set with the white disc and got 5/8 lift. I have a light xlt vs your powerboost
RAS quotes .5” to 1.5” so I guess we are both in spec. This truck has maxtow so 3 springs.

EcoB259

First Name
GB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 XLT S Crew
Occupation
Retired
RAS raised mine 2 inches. I have Fox 2.0 rears.

Popplemer

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'87 F250 460 5 Speed, 2023 302A PB 157"
I'm interested in seeing what happens if you pull the blocks. I'd love to get the RAS but I'd prefer my truck keep the same stance

Stealth88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302a
Occupation
Aerospace
I have thought about RAS for future towing needs but with seeing how simple the installation is I’d install when needed and remove after.

Sponsored

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
removing blocks was great. What wheelbase? The crew cab short beds have flat blocks and generally don't require a shim. Other wheelbases will likely need shimming.

I can't speak for RAS, but removing blocks on my truck make it brake and corner much better. It didn't feel as tippy or unstable. The brake diver was reduced.

If you're just pulling an SUV (why?, I can understand a race car?), Id imagine the ridiculous stock rake would be all you need. I don't know how necessary RAS is here. My personal preference would be airbags anyway if you did end up pulling real heavy.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
When I installed the HD RAS on my '21 302a 157" Powerboost w/ Max Tow, I got 1" of rear lift with the white disc.
Sponsored