Sponsored

Do I need angles shims if I remove rear blocks and a 1 inch lowering shackle?

SALEEN961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician
Any time you change the shackles to lift or lower your truck, the pinion angle will change. Any time you remove a tapered block or replace a tapered block with a non-tapered block, the pinion will change.

For some people the change will be small enough to not matter, and for some the change may even improve their u-joint operating angles compared to what they had stock. In every case the u-joint operating angles should be checked to verify whether or not pinion angle shims are needed.

To give you a point of reference, my truck has no vibrations from 0mph all the way up to the speed limiter. My u-joint angle at the slip yoke is roughly 0.2° and the u-joint angle at my rear diff is roughly 1.4° with my truck sitting in park in my driveway. This difference in angle is a little higher than I'd like, but I never installed shims because I never had any vibrations. I normally aim to have my pinion nose down 1° from the point where my u-joint operating angles would be perfectly even at rest.

Sponsored

Ozzman306

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 1989 mustang lx coupe
Do you have a picture of your truck, before the drop shackles ? I’m planing on purchasing a set of ford performance drop shackles , eventually I will do a full drop kit .. IMO the stance on your truck looks perfect..

nezff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew 5.0 Space White
Occupation
Firefighter
But remember I didn't pull the blocks. I've heard of some using the shackles and pulling the blocks and having vibrations. I don't have any but still have blocks.

Granted on only got 1 inch out of those 1.5 shackles. I wish I got the full 1.5.