Anyone remove rear blocks to do a "reverse level"

Strengthrehab

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 STX
If so...will this affect towing capacity? I ordered a 2WD truck so I don't want to do a traditional level, but thought about going the opposite way.
Sponsored

Smokey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Smoked Quartz Platinum F150
Occupation
Mortgage
I've heard about this option but I was looking at the rear block the other day and its doesn't like like you would drop more than maybe an inch?

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Maybe look into drop shackles?

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
It's been on my to-do list for a while because it looks pretty easy but I have not done it yet.

Not sure why the blocks would impact towing capacity, since all they do is increase the height by about an inch, but people smarter than me would be able to tell you more specifically. Unless there are some weight dynamics I don't understand, it seems to me that it might just squat a bit more, but the springs should be what is doing the work, not the blocks.

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I removed the blocks on my 4x4, dropped it about an inch.
It won't really have any impact on towing, however, you may experience a reverse rake with heavier tong weight. I plan on installing airbag helper springs, simply because my last truck had them, and I really liked how that truck towed my camper.

Here is the process/photos: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/anyone-remove-rear-blocks.3779/post-109663

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
If so...will this affect towing capacity? I ordered a 2WD truck so I don't want to do a traditional level, but thought about going the opposite way.
Not certain all the 2-wd trucks have them.
Maybe the ones with the HDDP package.

I have a SuperCab 8’ box 4x4.
I don’t have 4x4 for crawling over things so I really would like to lower the rear a couple of inches.
Maybe the block removal and a shackle kit to bring it down at least 2”

Mike2019SCrew

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4WD 5.0, 2019 2WD 3.5 SCrew FBO previous
In 2019 at least, 2WD trucks didn't have the rear block. I'd imagine that is still true, as the purpose of the blocks (to my knowledge) is to keep a similar rake between 2WD and 4WD trucks, and 4WD front sits a bit higher.

OP
OP

Strengthrehab

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 STX
Yeah, I assumed poorly. There has to be a way to lower the rear on a 2WD?

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
Yeah, I assumed poorly. There has to be a way to lower the rear on a 2WD?
I had a 2018 F150 XLt regular cab FX4 and removed the rear blocks to level it out some. Dropped rear by about 1 1/2 inch. I now have a 2020 F150 2wd,and it didnt have blocks on rear so I put lowering shackles on rear with 2 different drop levels 1 1/2 and 2 Inch. It does not affect towing capacity,just ride height. I have a 2021 FX4 Regular cab on order,scheduled to be built tommorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed

Reactions: Doc

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I can confirm I don’t see blocks on my 4x2 Lariat.

Sponsored

powerboost

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost loaded
Occupation
retired technician
Ford Performance has a shackle lowering kit that also includes a wedge shaped shim to change pinion angle for driveshaft to be added to spring pack. The instructions that come with kit tells you to disassemble way more than you need to. Several youtube posts show how simple it is. Temporarily dropping spare tire will give you all the room you need. No cutting on truck. If you used this kit plus remove blocks should really bring rake to near level front to rear. Low and sporty and still get good mileage.

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 RCSB
I have a 2021 regular cab with a 6 1/2 ft bed.

When I picked it up, the back of the truck was about 4 1/2 inches higher than the front when measured at the center of the wheels.

I bought Ford Performance lowering shackles from Summit racing - lowest price with shipping.

The Ford Performance shackles had 24 pages of instructions on how to install by lowering the gas tank. I used the instructions for torquing the U bolts.

I didn't lower the gas tank.

I partially unbolted the bed and raised it enough to get the bolts out over the top of the frame.

The Ford Performance shackles are about two inches longer than stock.

However, because the leaf spring on my truck does not extend to a point vertically above the lower shackle bracket, the shackle is at an angle when installed. Because of this angle, total lowering was about 1 1/2 inches.

There was still a three inch rake after installing the shackles.

I removed the spring blocks.

The blocks on my truck were 1 1/8 Inches thick but the pinion angle wedges that came with the shackles took up some of that so total lowering by removing the blocks was a little less than an inch.

In the end, I still have a two inch rake.

The next step would be to install a lift on the front but I am not going to do that. Maybe later.

So far, I see no adverse result - vibrations, etc - from the lowering process.

I don't know if the ride quality changed because I didn't drive it enough to get an opinion before I lowered it.

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat 502A FX4 5.0
I did the Ford drop shackles on my old 2wd drive Tremor, and I removed the rear blocks on my current ‘21 fx4.
Hi,

Since you removed the blocks, have you noticed any difference in the handling? Does it understeer less?

I would be interested to know if there is any difference on high speed curves?

Thanks

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
Hi,

Since you removed the blocks, have you noticed any difference in the handling? Does it understeer less?

I would be interested to know if there is any difference on high speed curves?

Thanks
I really haven’t noticed any difference at all (handling, etc.) except that I think it looks better.
Sponsored