Powerboost wouldn’t start today

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
My wife took the truck to home depot today, and after she was done shopping the truck wouldn’t start. She told me the truck was in “Full Accessory Power Mode”. She tried shut off and restart the truck several times with no success. I had her check the onboard generator, they were all off at the time. Just when I was ready to call the tow truck, she called and said the she was able to start up the truck after another try. Has anyone experienced this before? It’s scary that issue like this would surfaced randomly and then gets resolved on their own.
Did you try the easy solution? To make sure she had her foot on the brake while trying to start it? That would be my guess - brake pedal wasn't pressed.
Sponsored

Cobraman428

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB 701A MT FX4
Occupation
VP of IT
In IT, anytime there is a software bug that impacts a software program (or starting at truck) we call that a Feature. This "Feature" is called "Piss the driver off". I'm surprise FORD didn't show this feature off in their 2024 F-150 show... :geek: Just a little humor.... I bet FORD hopes this software issue gets fixed fast. OTA by end of the year is a long ways off when people have new trucks that don't start.....

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I start the vehicle using the push button primarily and I've experienced the FORD startup Sync screen freeze several times. The most recent time I couldn't be bothered with it and put the vehicle in reverse. This over rode the befuddled system and the cameras fired up. When I switched to drive and began moving the cameras went away and CarPlay started like nothing was ever wrong.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
My wife took the truck to home depot today, and after she was done shopping the truck wouldn’t start. She told me the truck was in “Full Accessory Power Mode”. She tried shut off and restart the truck several times with no success. I had her check the onboard generator, they were all off at the time. Just when I was ready to call the tow truck, she called and said the she was able to start up the truck after another try. Has anyone experienced this before? It’s scary that issue like this would surfaced randomly and then gets resolved on their own.
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your F-150 concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

Sponsored

Jerry3741

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 platinum Black Out Pagage,3.5 engine
Occupation
Retired
My 2023 F150 Platium did the same thing two times. The first time it started up fine after about a hour. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the auxiliary battery behine the back seat so they put a new one in. I got the truck back and things were good until a 1000 miles later the same thing happen the truck would not start up. The screen was showing
full accessory on but none of them were on.tHE dealer said know codes were given so they kelp the truck about two weeks driving it around but could not get it to fail to start. The dealer wanted me to take the truck back and drive it as usual but i said no way until it was fixed i was not going to have a truck that i was afraid to drive. I ended up trading for a 2023 Platium none Powerboost with the 3.5 engine and pro power 2 kilowatt

Last edited:
OP
OP

stlgrym3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB Lariat
Update on this. So this morning I drove the truck to work, and I noticed the Pro Power Onboard was on, but generator was off (see top pic). I then turned everything off (bottom pic). Not sure if this related to the starting issue yesterday. When the car shuts off, it shuts down all the power outlets anyway right?

Ford F-150 Powerboost wouldn’t start today IMG_1458

Ford F-150 Powerboost wouldn’t start today IMG_1464

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hi there – send a message to us with your VIN and approximate mileage. I’ll look into this for you. Thanks!

60R

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Hybrid
I have had the failure to start issue 4 times since purchase of 23PB in February. Three of those were in the first month.

The first I was in my driveway and had just plugged into the OBD with an old windows computer. The truck did not like that and threw multiple codes. It was the typical red warning message on the screen to pull over with the battery failure image on the lower right area of instrument cluster. This resolved itself after about 15 min. I went in my house with the key fob and came back out and it started.

The second and third times were early in the morning trying to do first start of the day. One of those times I felt it was low voltage from the primary 12v battery as my meter showed less than 12 volts. I put a charger on the battery and a few min later I herd a clunk from under the truck. After the clunk the truck started. My thought on this is that it was some sort of contact closing between the lithium battery and the control module. The other time I let the truck sit for an hour or so and it started.

The last was just last week. I felt I got a little out of sequence with foot on brake. The truck would not start and the pull over message was displayed. Having read many post about this issue in the early days of ownership I turned the accessory mode off and went in the house getting the key fob out of range. I then went back out to truck and it started.

So in my opinion it is either getting the key fob out of range or just letting things sit and reset.

After the first episodes the truck was in the shop for other issues. They checked the 12v battery and it tested good on all cells. Now, I tend to let the truck idle to bring SOC backup until the ICE shuts down before turning off.

TSGarp007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 4x4 Supercrew Powerboost 302A
Having read many cases, my money is leaning towards a module not waking up fast enough causing a communications error. They're going to OTA a patch eventually. I don't think it's the battery. On key start a whole bunch of modules startup very quickly and in a particular order. I believe the situation is that one module is a few fractions of a second slow in starting up and the error throws. Just spit balling but it may be the GWM causing a buffer of communications literally a few milliseconds long and the whole startup sequence craps out.

When it does this it throws a bunch of error codes if you're able to read it right then. When you close the door and leave it sit for a few minutes, it will fire right up and all codes magically are gone. This points to them knowing about the issue and clearing the codes on next fire. What they're likely working on is trying to increase the time out / error out margin of whatever modules are panicking and because ford has ZERO control over each module's software, they have to get the modules manufacturer to make the code changes and test them.

There's over 100k PBs on the road and everyone that catches it once seems to end up here. That makes it a nightmare for them to actually test something that's rare. I think we've been testing their fixes without knowing it with OTA pushes. Only after however many trucks they're playing with don't error out on startup will they know for-sure it's "the fix".

When I self-induced it on my truck, a whole bunch of modules were really mad they couldn't talk to other modules. Basically if something doesn't respond to another module immediately, the truck just thinks it's the end of the world and gives up until the door is closed for a few minutes and you try again.
Hence likely avoiding the issue altogether by starting remotely via fob or the app, or using the two step method, right? I'm 1.5 months in without incident using exclusively those methods.

Sponsored

OP
OP

stlgrym3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB Lariat
i also have a dashcam on the truck which has a feature to shut it off when 12v battery is below certain level. this was the 1st time we've encounter this problem with the truck since we bought it back in this April. the only thing i can think of is it's been sitting too long, over 10 days without starting. but the strange thing is wife was able to start it right up when she headed out, it was during her returning to home when the truck wouldn't start.

TSGarp007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 4x4 Supercrew Powerboost 302A
i also have a dashcam on the truck which has a feature to shut it off when 12v battery is below certain level. this was the 1st time we've encounter this problem with the truck since we bought it back in this April. the only thing i can think of is it's been sitting too long, over 10 days without starting. but the strange thing is wife was able to start it right up when she headed out, it was during her returning to home when the truck wouldn't start.
Yeah I doubt the 12V battery had anything to do with it.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I exclusively remote start the truck unless I'm playing with something like forscan or FDRS.

I've triggered the SSN error twice in the powerboost intentionally which is easy to do. Just run a PCM update with the truck running and watch it go crazy.

I've also triggered it in the mach-e doing the same thing.

DrBST

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 3.5L PowerBoost
Howdy y'all - this happened to me [again] this week. I've been mostly diligent about running with the HVAC at 5+; letting it idle with ICE then shutting it down when it goes to electric. I say mostly because, I can't say I'm always consistent but let's say 8+ of 10 drives (depends on what is happening with work, family, etc). For me, it seemed that my 14v SoC was low [see attached that I captured when it wouldn't start]. After about ~25 min, it got happy and went to Ready.

I do not know if/how @turbopilot 's UI captures the 12V under hood and/or the 12v behind the seat (or if it matters) - hoping to be educated on that.

However, my larger question is why the logic cannot attempt to start the ICE as default (or as backup). Or is that an option and I haven't figured it out?

It just doesn't seem right that we should have to default to waiting umpteen minutes for things to reset or disconnecting 2 negative cables to force a system to reset. I'd do it if I had to, but Lordy if that happened to mi esposa as it did to @stlgrym3 's - game over man, game over :LOL:. But no, I'm 100% serious - she'd skin me and drive north (in her non-hybrid car) and lay waste to Dearborn....

-Brian

Ford F-150 Powerboost wouldn’t start today IMG_0002.PNG

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
Howdy y'all - this happened to me [again] this week. I've been mostly diligent about running with the HVAC at 5+; letting it idle with ICE then shutting it down when it goes to electric. I say mostly because, I can't say I'm always consistent but let's say 8+ of 10 drives (depends on what is happening with work, family, etc). For me, it seemed that my 14v SoC was low [see attached that I captured when it wouldn't start]. After about ~25 min, it got happy and went to Ready.

I do not know if/how @turbopilot 's UI captures the 12V under hood and/or the 12v behind the seat (or if it matters) - hoping to be educated on that.

However, my larger question is why the logic cannot attempt to start the ICE as default (or as backup). Or is that an option and I haven't figured it out?

It just doesn't seem right that we should have to default to waiting umpteen minutes for things to reset or disconnecting 2 negative cables to force a system to reset. I'd do it if I had to, but Lordy if that happened to mi esposa as it did to @stlgrym3 's - game over man, game over :LOL:. But no, I'm 100% serious - she'd skin me and drive north (in her non-hybrid car) and lay waste to Dearborn....

-Brian
As far as I know the 12 volt reading is both batteries together unless the starter is engaged.

Did the failure happen with a two step start?
Sponsored