Powerboost Overheated while Towing

SteveP150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
I've found that whatever the advertised (ideal) tow ratings are for a particular platform, you're better off being conservation and dividing the ideal number by 2.

I think the max I would consider towing on a 1/2 ton platform is probably 8,000 lbs. Any more than that, I should at least consider using a HD pickup.
This ^^^^
I find this whole thread a bit silly. It's reasonable to discuss ways to improve cooling. But if you're regularly towing very heavy loads up long grades in the heat of summer, you should be getting something something with significant error margin. Not a half ton, no matter the engine. Yes, the half ton can do it. But you're not doing great things for many parts of the truck by constantly pushing the limits. One only has to see the semis pulled over and overheated on the interstate passes outside of Denver and Salt Lake to see the stress this puts on. This is no different than any other extreme use. If you were racing it or constantly pushing it off road, you're going to shorten the lifespan.
Sponsored

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
I can confirm that a transmission temp of 261 still won't get you into limp mode. I was running late to try to check into a campground before the office closed, so we were pushing it through Connecticut at maybe 75+ mph for a little while. I happen to glance down at the gauge to see the engine temp still in good range (maybe 220?), but the transmission temp at 261 and steadily creeping upwards. The truck gave no indication that it was having trouble, and was still not near the "red zone" on the temp gauge, but still. I decided to let off on the accelerator and let the truck cool down, even though we ended up being late to the campground.
I experienced a similar issue with my new camper. 74+ mph even with 9,10 locked out and no boost caused the transmission temp to slowly creep up after an hour or so. Slowed down to 65mph and the temp recovered after a few miles. I slowly increased back up and found that 71-72 mph didn’t cause the heat issue.

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
Maybe slightly, due to the added weight of the battery and electric motor? My impression is that they're otherwise equivalent engines, especially when towing, so I don't think the difference between ecoboost and powerboost is significant in almost all cases.
If anything, it's may be the electric motor. I don't think the extra weight from the battery is causing the vehicle to overheat at times.

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
This ^^^^
I find this whole thread a bit silly. It's reasonable to discuss ways to improve cooling. But if you're regularly towing very heavy loads up long grades in the heat of summer, you should be getting something something with significant error margin. Not a half ton, no matter the engine. Yes, the half ton can do it. But you're not doing great things for many parts of the truck by constantly pushing the limits. One only has to see the semis pulled over and overheated on the interstate passes outside of Denver and Salt Lake to see the stress this puts on. This is no different than any other extreme use. If you were racing it or constantly pushing it off road, you're going to shorten the lifespan.
One thing to note is that the SAE testing protocols and standards may be different between 1/2 tons and HD pickups. Are 1/2 ton powertrains are rated for peak/transient power output whereas the SAE rating for HD pickup trucks is for sustained power output over a period of time?

If that's the case, those are very different use cases.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
This ^^^^
That 1/2 ton Powerboost/Ecoboost can hold it's own for 100% of the towing task if I am willing to be patient, and join the slow lane for those finite climbs.
But I agree with you that if you are hell bent on flying up that occasional grade at the same pace those 7.3's and 6.7's are doing, then you might consider getting you one? 😁

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
This ^^^^
I think for me it will be rarely tow until the two weeks vacation and then regularly tow over 7000lbs. through the hills and then return to rarely tow again. Driving easy is the plan, but it’s nice to learn from others who have done it before me.

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
That 1/2 ton Powerboost/Ecoboost can hold it's own for 100% of the towing task if I am willing to be patient, and join the slow lane for those finite climbs.
But I agree with you that if you are hell bent on flying up that occasional grade at the same pace those 7.3's and 6.7's are doing, then you might consider getting you one? 😁
I'm not convinced the 7.3s are flying up (and down) grades faster than F150s because of power output. I surmise they are more comfortable going up and down those grades because they will handle the same load better as far as sway goes and have better braking capability on the downhill due to the much larger and robust braking system.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Does the F250 with a 7.3 have a 10R140 transmission?

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
Does the F250 with a 7.3 have a 10R140 transmission?
I believe the current builds do. I think that may have not been the case for every F250 depending on engine and axle configuration.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm not convinced the 7.3s are flying up (and down) grades faster than F150s because of power output. I surmise they are more comfortable going up and down those grades because they will handle the same load better as far as sway goes and have better braking capability on the downhill due to the much larger and robust braking system.
Admittedly, "flying" was hyperbole. :)

I tow rather light. Even my "toy hauler" is only about 5000lbs loaded, but still a parachute.

There's a couple of Rocky Mountain grades that I chose to put my ego away for the climb and scoot over with (join) the slowpokes at moments to keep harmony with the PIDs. (I'm a PID addict)

I absolutely LOVE the F150 with the Mighty 3.5 Ecoboost under the hood. When it's unhooked at the campsite it magically transforms into the Luxury Chariot that my brothers and sisters (co-campers) ride in for sight seeing, fetching groceries, and all errands to glamp for a week or more.

Sidebar: Their "little brother", that'd be me, is known for bringing campground and mountain climbing transport, a SideXside, as well as the Espresso machine and the Luxury Yacht. They do the cooking and their HD trucks rarely ever move.

The only compromise I have to accept is that sometimes the destination, while repositioning the tiny house (towing), might have a steep climb and I can't be leader of the pack for a few miles.

Last edited:

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I believe the current builds do. I think that may have not been the case for every F250 depending on engine and axle configuration.
I asked because I’m wondering if it’s more heavy duty than our 10R80

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
I asked because I’m wondering if it’s more heavy duty than our 10R80
It's far heavier duty than the 10R80. 10R80 is very similar to the GM 10 speed. The 10 speeds in GM and Ford HDs are not related or similar in the same way that the 18R80 is to the GM 10 speed in light duty.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The 80 in 10r80 means something important.
The 140 in 10R140 means the same thing. 😁

Basically Torque limit

1400 ftlbs VS 800 ftlbs

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
It's important to recognize that if you're on the turbo's continuously, that heat rejected from the intercooler is fed directly into the inlet of the engine's radiator. This automatically raises engine coolant temperature.
Sponsored