Sponsored

OBDLink MX+ Which PIDs should monitor while towing with a PowerBoost?

Cobraman428

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB 701A MT FX4
Occupation
VP of IT
Anyone have a dashboard with all the necessary PIDs for iPAD? I would like to know which PIDs I should monitor while towing my TT.
Sponsored

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
I'm not sure, exactly what you might want to monitor when towing a trailer. I dont tow a trailer myself. But there is a guy here that may be able to give you some idea's and he's well versed with the odbmx+ @Snakebitten ideas?

OP
OP
Cobraman428

Cobraman428

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB 701A MT FX4
Occupation
VP of IT
I've got some PID from Snakebitten already via some of his posts. Like SOC. Was looking mainly for towing PID. I assume Eng. Temp etc. I would like to see a towing Dashboard with all the important PIDs to monitor.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
My affinity for PID monitoring dates back to my decision to purchase my first twin turbocharged variable valve timing direct injection Ecoboost pick up truck. 🤣
I was a bit paranoid of the horsepower per cubic inch that Ford boldly decided to equip their almighty F150 with. I didn't doubt that it had the power and torque numbers, but my old school American V8 perception was turned on its ear. And yes, I would be towing cross country many thousands of miles.
So I joined the forums and discovered what PIDs would best indicate that the "little" beast had happy combustion chambers. Afterall, even the first iteration of that motor had a seriously sophisticated engine management system and there are a lot of parameters that have to be kept in their boundaries when you are putting serious load (torque request) against it.

Anyways, fellas way smarter than me explained PIDs like IAT2, (closest intake temp sensor to the actual combustion chamber) OAR, KR, Timing Advance, boost, and of course Engine and Transmission coolant temps.

With those PIDs visible and with some history of what the normal values are when everything is happy, you will get a good idea of what's going on under heavy load. Especially when it comes to a high ambient heat weather on long uphill grades that requires boost. You can quickly see how the Ecoboost hits its threshold for shedding heat if the Turbos are dumping heat into the coolant loop. You quickly learn how to drop a gear ratio or two, raise the rpms, thus meeting the torque request with less boost and faster spinning water pump.
You will get so good at it that it becomes second nature.

For those that have seen my daily driver dashboard, the ICE gauges are the ones that make up the ensemble that I described. Although I don't populate the dash with Engine or Transmission coolant temps since that's redundant on the instrument cluster. (Forscan enabled)

I do add the tachometer though since Ford decided to nix it in Bluecruise. :)

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Here's everything I log while driving. I don't have all of this on my primary dashboard though. I'm probably going to remove the octane adjust ratio from the list and I need to verify which battery temp I want to keep. I plan on adding a HV Battery voltage block in then.
Ford F-150 OBDLink MX+ Which PIDs should monitor while towing with a PowerBoost? 1000004362
Sponsored