Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I didn't even think of that.
Note that on the early CSP and the current recall dealer notices, in the 'Parts Requirements' section there's reference to LH & RH "Rear Axle Shaft Assy" as one PN each (and Caliper Anchor Bolts as one PN); I'm not seeing any indication of hub, axle, and axle bolt as separate PNs required for the 'repair'.

If it IS being shipped and assembled as an assembly, then they could very well be adjusting the torque spec from the original.
And I never thought of that. :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
If it IS being shipped and assembled as an assembly, then they could very well be adjusting the torque spec from the original.
But thinking about it now, could that be one explanation for the evolving suffix-letter in the otherwise consistent "Rear Axle Shaft Assy" PNs? :unsure: :unsure:

Moroney167

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0
Little Annoyed after finally getting truck to dealership. Friday 1pm Appointment. Get a call mid Monday saying ok your trucks all done. I ask what they did and said it's all set nothing is broken so you can keep using it. I expected a revised axle/bolt combo or something but. I guess took 2 days to pull my rear wheels off and say it's all good.....

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Little Annoyed after finally getting truck to dealership. Friday 1pm Appointment. Get a call mid Monday saying ok your trucks all done. I ask what they did and said it's all set nothing is broken so you can keep using it. I expected a revised axle/bolt combo or something but. I guess took 2 days to pull my rear wheels off and say it's all good.....
And that's why I suggested a little back to another poster there is no need to go to the dealer if your bolt isn't currently broke. It is easy to check at home.

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
My letter says the dealer will contact me. I keep an eye on my bolts already, everything seems fine. But once the parts are available I do expect a replacement. I'm hoping for a bolt replacement, but I feel like that's not the real fix here.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Read the recall document.
Currently it's a CSP pretending to be a Recall.

If your dealership can't provide a picture of a sheared bolt/axle, they can't even order the axle. It'll get denied.
Ask me how I know. 🙄

Ironically the dealership printed off the recall for me and I read it, yet they failed to do so and the first attempt to order was denied.
The good news is that once they resubmitted the order WITH the picture of the broken bolt, they were allowed to order BOTH axles. (assemblies, it appears)

Unicorn

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Pilot
Lots of good observation on this post. I’ve read everything I could find on the subject, everywhere I could find some, including youtube presentations. Now, three questions come to mind:

1- In a 3/4 floating axle, what is stopping the wheel hub from sliding out of the housing, whether with or without the bolt? (the hub is rotating with the wheel…) Is it the one-row ball bearing assembly + the brake disk?

2- Why isn’t the wheel hub welded to the end of the axle, instead of bolted with a relatively weak bolt?

3- Can a negative offset aftermarket wheel be a contributing factor to the axle/hub bolt breaking?

TIA,

Last edited:

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
1- In a 3/4 floating axle, what is stopping the wheel hub from sliding out of the housing, wether with or without the bolt? (the hub is rotating with the wheel…) Is it the one-row ball bearing assembly + the brake disk?
I don't think any of us has yet seen inside the hub assembly to know the arrangement of bearing(s) and components within this specific Ford design (as a 'non-serviceable' / replace in its entirety assembly the internals are not revealed in the Workshop Manual), but whatever that is it retains the integral rotating flange to which the brake rotor and wheel are bolted via the wheel studs.
2- Why isn’t the wheel hub welded to the end of the axle, instead of bolted with a relatively weak bolt?
EDIT - just realized you're talking about welding the axle shaft to the hub assembly (not the hub assembly to axle housing connection) - no guess from me other than that would preclude service of the hub or axle shaft as separate components.
3- Can a negative offset aftermarket wheel be a contributing factor to the axle/hub bolt breaking?
No guess from me.

Last edited:

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Lots of good observation on this post. I’ve read everything I could find on the subject, everywhere I could find some, including youtube presentations. Now, three questions come to mind:

1- In a 3/4 floating axle, what is stopping the wheel hub from sliding out of the housing, wether with or without the bolt? (the hub is rotating with the wheel…) Is it the one-row ball bearing assembly + the brake disk?

TIA,
There doesn't seem to be any correlation between usage and the failure. People that have a non-towing babied pavement queen have broken them while others that tow a lot haven't. The axle shaft itself isn't load bearing as that's the way it's designed.

As for if the arrangement is any stronger than than the traditional axle design, I haven't come across but very few failures of the 9.75" traditional axles, and of the ones I did, they were abuse cases from exceptional side loading while rock crawling. Even then it seemed to break the retention method inside of the diff itself. Whatever data the 3/4 floating 9.75" rear end was born from, axle failure doesn't appear to be one of them. On the other hand, ford's own data states that at least 400 9.75" 'HD' axles have failed due to the bolt issue.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The axle is held inside the axle tube because it is tapered, and only the splined surface at the outboard end is small enough diameter to the fit into "hole" in the hub.

You can't pull the axle through the hub. And if you look closely, the end of the axle can't even be pulled flush with the hub face. That's why I claim the infamous bolt is only tasked with "locating" (holding) the splined axle furthermost outboard. And it's why it is safe (relative) to operate the truck with a sheared bolt. Short term for sure.

This is the axle pulled as far outboard as possible:

Ford F-150 NHTSA Safety Recall (23V-896) on 113,000 F-150 Trucks with Trailer Tow Max Duty Package 20240212_160209

This is it as far inboard as possible:

Ford F-150 NHTSA Safety Recall (23V-896) on 113,000 F-150 Trucks with Trailer Tow Max Duty Package 20240120_154619

It's TRAPPED between two splined devices. You must remove the hub itself to get the axle out of the tube.

Last edited:

Sponsored

scott011422

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 502a PB 7.2k 4x4 157"
Occupation
Engineer
The axle is held inside the axle tube because it is tapered, and only the splined surface at the outboard end is small enough diameter to the fit into "hole" in the hub.

You can't pull the axle through the hub. And if you look closely, the end of the axle can't even be pulled flush with the hub face. That's why I claim the infamous bolt is only tasked with "locating" (holding) the splined axle furthermost outboard. And it's why it is safe (relative) to operate the truck with a sheared bolt. Short term for sure.

20240212_160209.jpg

20240120_154619.jpg

It's TRAPPED between two splined devices. You must remove the hub itself to get the axle out of the tube.

There is a shoulder on the back of the hub spline that’s bottoms out on the back of the hub. The axle is pressed to this shoulder. Then the bolt is just for locating, backup, double extra there, etc.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE

20240212_160209.jpg

20240120_154619.jpg

Seems like they could have just made a bolt with a shoulder allowing it to torque to the axle itself, kept the heavy duty washer head and just put a heavy duty rubber washer of sorts there to act as a light-duty spring of sorts (or possibly a conical spring steel design that takes up the ~2mm of space created by torqueing to axle, assuming tolerances allow). This would add a little bit of play between the axle and the hub, preventing the shear, while still holding the axle in place. It seems that the axle is able to ever-so-slightly flex/flop/move at the hub to the point where it fatigues the head off the bolt. Given that the axle is easily moved without the bolt retaining it, it shouldn't take much force to keep it in place.
if that makes sense :ROFLMAO:

redline

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150, BMW X5, BMW M3,
Occupation
Sales
My truck was in for service today and they said I had the updated parts in my truck so they did not have to do anything for the recall…. I know some of you had the updated parts fail … so much for a real recall …

Last edited:

scott011422

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 502a PB 7.2k 4x4 157"
Occupation
Engineer
For those that asked earlier, I was able to read the repair procedure from Ford. It looks like the main bearing bolts on to a flange. Looks more like a front wheel bearing hub assembly.

Lol, it would be funny if ford just took the front wheel hub and put it in the back........................

**EDIT**

Its just now clicking in my brain that the wheel bearing is a total hub assembly. So to replace the rear wheel bearings, You'll be doing axle shafts too..

Ford F-150 NHTSA Safety Recall (23V-896) on 113,000 F-150 Trucks with Trailer Tow Max Duty Package F150 floating axle

Last edited:

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
I'm so glad I dodged that Max Tow bullet when I ordered my PB. For me, there just weren't enough "goodies" added with Max Tow to justify me spending an extra $1K . On my PB, all I saw was slightly larger brakes and a stronger rear bumper.
Sponsored