First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Can you post a picture showing the accessibility of step when the tailgate is down? It seems to be under it, making it difficult to use.

Whatever the case, it will be smaller than the OEM tailgate step, but the decrease in weight may justify that, if it's big enough to be usable.

They're not cheap. $285? Is that for one, or for a pair?
You’re right; they’re not cheap, though I think that they may have raised the price since I purchased mine. That’s for just one, though that’s probably all that you would need.

Ford F-150 Maximize payload of PB? E8C37932-87AB-41C6-8C80-0894CE433DAE

The step can be shifted in position side to side, so you can decide how much you want it under the tailgate versus sticking out on the side of the truck. I chose to have mine sticks out a bit beyond the side of the bumper because I wanted easy access to catch it with my toe, and I’m not going offroad where clearance would be an issue. You could also have it slide a bit further out if you cared even less about clearance. (That is, there’s still another inch or two of room on mine to move even further to the left)
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 4WD 301A 3.5L w/ HDPP
Occupation
retired
You’re right; they’re not cheap, though I think that they may have raised the price since I purchased mine. That’s for just one, though that’s probably all that you would need.

The step can be shifted in position side to side, so you can decide how much you want it under the tailgate versus sticking out on the side of the truck. I chose to have mine sticks out a bit beyond the side of the bumper because I wanted easy access to catch it with my toe, and I’m not going offroad where clearance would be an issue. You could also have it slide a bit further out if you cared even less about clearance.
Thanks for the pic. It's useful. There looks to be enough to use as a step onto the tailgate from the side. The newer OEM tailgate step has a work surface but I wouldn't use it that way and survive without one, now.

$285 is still cheaper than the bed utility package.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Thanks for the pic. It's useful. There looks to be enough to use as a step onto the tailgate from the side. The newer OEM tailgate step has a work surface but I wouldn't use it that way and survive without one, now.

$285 is still cheaper than the bed utility package.
Sorry—I didn’t address that. Yes, you can easily step onto the tailgate from the side. Stepping back down is a bit more difficult because it’s not so easy to see from the bed.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I agree that it's cheap in that sense but, considering how close we are to our current payload limit, I'm not sure I would be able to make use of the additional space. The bed is full in our current use but the 2.4KW inverter would eliminate my generator, freeing a bit more room then I have now.
I've noticed that wheelbase plays a significant role in #payload, so you might gain more than just space by increasing bed length. That being said, my truck is a daily driver, so I enjoy the 145" wheelbase and 1624# payload still allows me to tow a 26' inTech Terra Oasis in comfort.

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
You can use the 2021 eSourcebook to help you dial in payload weights of various models. The 2021 version notably includes estimates for options, which the 2022 and 2023 versions didn’t include. Since Ford hasn’t significantly changed the trucks in those three model years, it should still be relatively accurate. I just posted that guidebook in this thead:

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/concerns-about-being-overloaded.16631/#post-328623

Regarding your specific list of “must haves,” the bed utility package is going to give you payload headaches. To get around this, I purchased a Bestop Trekstep:

2CFF356C-840E-4E11-ABAC-5AAD1A73E2FF.jpeg

Works pretty well. Much less fiddly than the OEM tailgate step, and only about 15 lbs.
I'm old, so this step stool is my answer to the tailgate step or the bumper step. It weighs 10.5 pounds, can be used on the right or the left or next to the wheel or the cab. In fact, it can be used away from the truck all together. It is sturdy. I am very comfortable climbing down out of the truck. It is flat and stores easily in the bed (or the cab). It might not be fancy or expensive, but it works for me.

Ford F-150 Maximize payload of PB? lr_DSCF4210
Ford F-150 Maximize payload of PB? lr_DSCF4209

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I'm old, so this step stool is my answer to the tailgate step or the bumper step. It weighs 10.5 pounds, can be used on the right or the left or next to the wheel or the cab. In fact, it can be used away from the truck all together. It is sturdy. I am very comfortable climbing down out of the truck. It is flat and stores easily in the bed (or the cab). It might not be fancy or expensive, but it works for me.

lr_DSCF4210.jpg
lr_DSCF4209.jpg
I love it! I'm achy and old too! I got the tailgate step which helps, but the tailgate pole plus a stepladder might just be heaven. I have a bed rug too for my knees lol.

mbouck3

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda clarity, 2005titan 2022f150 powerboost
Occupation
just retired
I bought lariat take-off leather for $200
The 4a xfer case upgrade cost about $1200 all in.
The PB comes with a lot of features for the $ -- the easiest 'engine' option there is.
I too did the lariat leather along with added upper glove box. Just trying to commit to doing big screen swap.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I too did the lariat leather along with added upper glove box. Just trying to commit to doing big screen swap.
Which screen? Center or the IPC?

mbouck3

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda clarity, 2005titan 2022f150 powerboost
Occupation
just retired
I agree that it's cheap in that sense but, considering how close we are to our current payload limit, I'm not sure I would be able to make use of the additional space. The bed is full in our current use but the 2.4KW inverter would eliminate my generator, freeing a bit more room then I have now.
go with the 7.2, the 2.4 has some problems on starting electric motors. Unless you are going to use them to power lithium batteries and then pull from rv inverter.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
go with the 7.2, the 2.4 has some problems on starting electric motors. Unless you are going to use them to power lithium batteries and then pull from rv inverter.
Would the electric motor starting problem affect the air conditioner on my trailer? Other than recharging my lithium batteries, that would be my only need for it. As you state, I can pull from the RV inverter, which is a 2KW pure sine wave. It will run the A/C with a soft start but the batteries don't last long that way.

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
:)

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
Hi, I've been reading this and all the other payload threads that I could find, in preparation of ordering a Powerboost, to tow a travel trailer.

I've also done some in the field sticker collection and pouring through the options weight page in the ESource book, such as it is.

The final touch, was finding EricR 's posts about his truck.

In 2023, I have not found an order combination above 501a, allowing 18" wheels. In past yrs. this was apparently possible but not this one. I'd seen someone suppose that wheel size affects payload capacity more than people realize and my work, with EricR 's confirmation, bears that out. I don't have a hard number for it, because the tire weights aren't listed in the book but it alone, is easily in the range of the other, known, heavy weight items, such as moon roof, tailgate package, FX4 etc.

So, at the moment, my order will be a Powerboost, Lariat 501a, SB, 4x4, trailer tow, 7.2KW, no tow mirrors (I'll use BLISS and cameras instead) 360 cameras and Nav.

This should come in, in the 1650 range and be plenty for my proposed tongue weight and enough left over for a bed mat, soft tanneau, my normal tools and running boards (if I need them).

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
Hi, I've been reading this and all the other payload threads that I could find, in preparation of ordering a Powerboost, to tow a travel trailer.

I've also done some in the field sticker collection and pouring through the options weight page in the ESource book, such as it is.

The final touch, was finding EricR 's posts about his truck.

In 2023, I have not found an order combination above 501a, allowing 18" wheels. In past yrs. this was apparently possible but not this one. I'd seen someone suppose that wheel size affects payload capacity more than people realize and my work, with EricR 's confirmation, bears that out. I don't have a hard number for it, because the tire weights aren't listed in the book but it alone, is easily in the range of the other, known, heavy weight items, such as moon roof, tailgate package, FX4 etc.

So, at the moment, my order will be a Powerboost, Lariat 501a, SB, 4x4, trailer tow, 7.2KW, no tow mirrors (I'll use BLISS and cameras instead) 360 cameras and Nav.

This should come in, in the 1650 range and be plenty for my proposed tongue weight and enough left over for a bed mat, soft tanneau, my normal tools and running boards (if I need them).
You are doing good research.
I had to use the 2022 build site for my 2023 King Ranch PowerBoost. You are correct, Ford dropped the 18" wheels for 2023. I estimate that the larger wheels cost me around 40#. I have 2WD- my payload sticker is 1787# and weighed brand new calculated payload at 1850#.
My reading found pros and cons for both 18" and 20" with regard to towing.
I am very happy with my truck. Hopefully, we can resolve some health issues and get the travel trailer we am wanting.
Sponsored