First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
I've had my XLT PB since Feb, and it's a January build of the truck. I opted for the 2.4KW version of the model as I was eager to get the truck at the dealership and I didn't see a need for the 7.2kW version.

I don't see that changing, and I've used Pro Power about 4 times this year, for camping. The truck has been a host for MMA fights powering a TV and streaming device, has powered hotplates and coffee pots, has charged laptops, c-pap machines, external batteries, powered an electric space heater, lighting, sound, all kinds of stuff.

That being said, when the day comes for me to trade the truck in, then I'll opt for the 7.2Kw version. I'm not a homeowner, nor do I own a large RV, but I will, and that version would be preferable. But I'm just saying that the 2.4kw version is perfectly fine and has sold my friends on the platform.

6K miles in, my Hybrid Drive Unit burned out. Was covered by warranty but it took 40 days to get it resolved. Ended up getting a brand new transmission. That was roughly May/June of this year. Was very aggravating, had to fight the dealer at every turn. I don't necessarily blame Ford for it, I just blame the dealer network. It's been hard to find a competent, honest dealer here in Central Texas.

Once the transmission was replaced, I've had another 11k miles on the truck. All problem free. My current biggest gripe is an occasional rattle in driver side door handle (I'll be addressing this soon), and the Pedestrian Sounder that makes backing up sound like you're driving a UPS parcel truck. Fortunately, there's a member on these very forums that has a solution, and I've ordered a setup from him that should remove that sound.

What I love about this truck? It's smooth, fast, and quiet. I'm not a fan of head rattling noise, and I just love how this truck is an absolute sleeper. My friend was following me in his Tundra, and he told me how hard of a time he was having to keep up with me...and I was driving just how I normally drive.

It's a great mobile office thanks to hybrid idle. I've slept in this truck overnight, I've done a lot of work in the cabin of this truck comfortably and quietly. Battery idle keeps the AC cool, no nauseous fumes, hotspot is fast enough to have covered my needs to handle conference calls and remote logins for my Enterprise IT level job.

That may explain my lifetime average mileage, which is about 20.7 MPG. I don't blame the truck, just my heavy right foot. If the conditions are right, I've gotten 100+ mile trips out of this truck that clock in 23 MPG on the highway, and lots of city trips 25 - 28 MPG.

Towing with the truck is fine, and I've kept my expectations realistic. Which is to say I've gotten 14 - 16 MPG towing my dad's bass boat. I just needed to lock out gear 9 and occasionally gear 8 to keep it out of boost.

I've been in some very heavy flash floods in this truck, no electrical issues. Run it through a car wash every week.

I love the way it looks, and I get compliments on it wherever I go. I plan to keep it as long as my extended warranty lasts, and then as long as I can after that. Very happy with this purchase. This truck has sold me on the future of electrified trucks. I was looking at the 2022 Tundra, and I think Toyota really missed what Ford sees, which is the promise of people using their truck as a mobile command center. From this truck, I can provide myself and my friends power and comfort. I can do my job. I can even stay overnight in comfort. And look good doing it.
do you have a link to the reverse sound delete option?
Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Mine hasn't been trouble free. It would not start a half dozen times and would "fix" itself 3-6 hours later until the last time it wouldn't start even after waiting overnight. Ford decided to replace the electric drive unit. That took a month (2 weeks to get the parts, 1 week to get it onto a lift and 1 week to actually get it r&r'd). It's been almost 2 months now and it hasn't failed since.
The little hybrid battery doesn't like the cold. Short runs, it never kicks in. My LOM, that never has been reset, has gone from 21.something to 19.4. Most trips now are showing 13-16 mpg.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I agree with all above. I have a custom ordered totally loaded Lariat 502A PB FX4 7.2KW since August 2 and love it. No problems so far but only have 2400 miles. I expect some problems someday with this much tech so I bought 8 yr 100,000 mile zero deductible, all lighting assemblies covered, and first day rental car from Ziegler for $2,130 up front on % money back Costco Citi card. Will be easy sell truck to private party as its transferable.
I believe that you are sent a refund check for the unused portion of the ESP warranty within just a few days of selling your truck. (You notify Zeigler) Amazing service.

Mine hasn't been trouble free. It would not start a half dozen times and would "fix" itself 3-6 hours later until the last time it wouldn't start even after waiting overnight. Ford decided to replace the electric drive unit. That took a month (2 weeks to get the parts, 1 week to get it onto a lift and 1 week to actually get it r&r'd). It's been almost 2 months now and it hasn't failed since.
The little hybrid battery doesn't like the cold. Short runs, it never kicks in. My LOM, that never has been reset, has gone from 21.something to 19.4. Most trips now are showing 13-16 mpg.
So is your advice to others not to purchase a Powerboost? I'm just asking. :)

4thF1504me

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150
Hello,
I have a 22 Platinum on order and there's still a window where I can add PB. Can I please get all of your thoughts on the PB. Likes and dislikes. Was it worth it and would you buy it again? Thanks! I see some videos of people loving and some not.
I’ve had platinum PB for 3 months, 5K miles. Only issue has been an OTA update that has disabled SiriusXM. Overall average 23.5 MPG. So roughly $600 fuel savings annually. Also less wear/tear on engine(10% electric run time) and brakes(a lot of regenerative braking ). Overall very cool and happy with it. If I drive conservative (Speed limits, no interstate to keep under 60 MPH) I can easily get 29 MPG on my 30 mile commute. Amazing for a heavy Platinum. Different learned habits than hyper-mile driving. The PB is a different beast. I try to use electric around parking lots and again at the 30 to 50 MPH range. Use gas to get up to speed from lights and speeds over 50. If the plan is to lift, level, install 35s, I’d say all the benefits go out the window.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
. If the plan is to lift, level, install 35s, I’d say all the benefits go out the window.
Except you STILL have ~600ftlbs of torque and 7.2KW of rolling grid. :)

Fuel economy is just part of the amazing Powerboost recipe

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Except you STILL have ~600ftlbs of torque and 7.2KW of rolling grid. :)

Fuel economy is just part of the amazing Powerboost recipe
It is absolutely crazy my 2019 Silverado had the 5.3L V8 and it only got 355hp and 383tq where as this 3.5L PB is getting 430hp and 570tq and gets much better MPGs. :)

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
So is your advice to others not to purchase a Powerboost? I'm just asking. :)
No advice. Just my experience so others can make their own decisions.

Nothing is perfect. Mine proves that.

Would I buy another Powerboost? Probably not. Because of the issue I had? Not completely. I did think the generator would be able to directly backfeed into the house as a back up like my portable generator did after hurricanes in Florida. Those were my thoughts back in January before I was aware of the ground issue. So, I will go to a Generac whole home system instead. Now no reason for me to have a truck with a generator.

Am I going to dump it soon? No. More because of no acceptable replacements and ordering is a crap shoot currently.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Back feeding into the house is absolutely feasible and is being done by folks. But admittedly the requirement to properly do it within code is more complicated than many assumed.

But thanks for the reply and the honest feedback.

powerboost

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost loaded
Occupation
retired technician
These forums are going to attract way more problem vehicles posts compared to the problem free powerboosts out in the world. It's like if you read enough medical online sites, you will find things wrong with your body that will keep you awake worrying about. If I had a random batch of errors/issues on my truck, before taking it to dealer, I would push on all fuses to ensure the factory seated them in all the way, verify that they bolted down the ground wire behind the passenger kick panel, and verify the cable connection under the hood near drivers firewall that has a wiring connector is fully seated and latched. It could just make a problem truck into a perfect truck. Once a good data base of solutions is built, these trucks should settle in but I still wouldn't want to not have a Ford extended warranty once they get a few years old and miles pile on.....lol

Sponsored

saluki1969

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Ford Mustang GT500, 2021 F150 SC PB Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I'll add to the Powerboost response. I took delivery of my PB 4x4 ,7.2 kw Lariat Sport with tow package, 502A July 3rd. I currently have 4200 miles on the truck. It has been flawless since purchase. I have used the generator only once to date for a tailgate party at my alma Mater homecoming this Fall. Portable refrigerator/freezer, electric grill and large sound system. Spectators and friends were impressed to say the least. I came from a 2010 Ford Explorer Sportrac 2wd with the 4.0 liter v6. I averaged over the lifetime of that vehicle (69,000 miles) 17.1 mpg. My PB is currently at 23.6 mph. During the summer I was at 24.4. Cold weather has taken its toll. But I am also retreating to some of my old driving habits. My foot has gotten a little heavier and my patience to economize has slipped some. I use 87 octane fuel and am on my second oil change using Mobil 1 extended service oil. I am over cautious regarding the break-in period and after my oil change at 5,000 miles will do oil changes at 5,000 mile intervals. Just my 2 cents.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Evidence is Ford has produced ~4500-5000 Powerboost per month since released.
So 1 year's worth could already be north of 60,000 of them on the road.
Think about that.
Sure, that's only a small percentage of 2021 F150's (~500,000?) but still, many many thousands more than represented here on the forum.
I agree with the gentleman a couple of posts back. I'm guessing the vast majority are not causing the owner to join a forum, if you know what I mean.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
These forums are going to attract way more problem vehicles posts compared to the problem free powerboosts out in the world. It's like if you read enough medical online sites, you will find things wrong with your body that will keep you awake worrying about. If I had a random batch of errors/issues on my truck, before taking it to dealer, I would push on all fuses to ensure the factory seated them in all the way, verify that they bolted down the ground wire behind the passenger kick panel, and verify the cable connection under the hood near drivers firewall that has a wiring connector is fully seated and latched. It could just make a problem truck into a perfect truck. Once a good data base of solutions is built, these trucks should settle in but I still wouldn't want to not have a Ford extended warranty once they get a few years old and miles pile on.....lol
Evidence is Ford has produced ~4500-5000 Powerboost per month since released.
So 1 year's worth could already be north of 60,000 of them on the road.
Think about that.
Sure, that's only a small percentage of 2021 F150's (~500,000?) but still, many many thousands more than represented here on the forum.
I agree with the gentleman a couple of posts back. I'm guessing the vast majority are not causing the owner to join a forum, if you know what I mean.
That's the important thing to keep in mind when reading forums: a common motive to visit a forum is to research a problem (whether it's with a car an espresso machine or a medical worry.)
The same is true for Tesla or Porsche or any marque. I joined to this forum before ordering a PowerBoost. I joined a RAM forum in 2019 and decided to wait and see if quality improved, but mainly because the RAM "mild hybrid" proved to be nothing more than a better start-stop design.

I think you have to read the complaints in context and read between the lines to decide whether the problems originate with the design of the vehicle or are generic to all F-150s or are problems with Ford (e.g. parts availability) or the dealer (tech skills or incompetence anywhere in their organization.)

I'd say there's zero design flaws with the hybrid components (though some assembly line errors might be occurring, e.g. water-tight connectors) but there's definitely problems with the transmission though the problems seem to be solved with service bulletins and don't result in failure (yes, the shifter is a weak link and poor design, which can't be excused even if the failures are perhaps in the hand of the driver.) In any case, I've not heard of a deal-breaker problem and the statistics of the lemons are not apparently above the average for all F-150s.

I'd generalize to say most PowerBoost problems were real but made (far) worse because the dealer wasn't on the ball or because Ford took weeks and months instead of hours and days to provide either the technical support (diagnostics) or the parts to make repairs.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excellent way of putting it ^^^^

I especially agree that whatever issues that might crop up on a Powerboost, it's a typical statistical probability very much a reflection of a non-Powerboost F150, but the REMEDY might be an inferior experience because the expertise and historical knowledge base is virtually non existent. While I might be unhappy with the fact that it's the risk of early adoption consumerism, it's reality nonetheless.

powerboost

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost loaded
Occupation
retired technician
That's the important thing to keep in mind when reading forums: a common motive to visit a forum is to research a problem (whether it's with a car an espresso machine or a medical worry.)
The same is true for Tesla or Porsche or any marque. I joined to this forum before ordering a PowerBoost. I joined a RAM forum in 2019 and decided to wait and see if quality improved, but mainly because the RAM "mild hybrid" proved to be nothing more than a better start-stop design.

I think you have to read the complaints in context and read between the lines to decide whether the problems originate with the design of the vehicle or are generic to all F-150s or are problems with Ford (e.g. parts availability) or the dealer (tech skills or incompetence anywhere in their organization.)

I'd say there's zero design flaws with the hybrid components (though some assembly line errors might be occurring, e.g. water-tight connectors) but there's definitely problems with the transmission though the problems seem to be solved with service bulletins and don't result in failure (yes, the shifter is a weak link and poor design, which can't be excused even if the failures are perhaps in the hand of the driver.) In any case, I've not heard of a deal-breaker problem and the statistics of the lemons are not apparently above the average for all F-150s.

I'd generalize to say most PowerBoost problems were real but made (far) worse because the dealer wasn't on the ball or because Ford took weeks and months instead of hours and days to provide either the technical support (diagnostics) or the parts to make repairs.
I also joined the Ram forum in 2018 when I ordered a fully loaded Ram Rebel as soon as they were available to order. Many threads spoke of problems with the air suspension, the air conditioning system not cold enough, etc, etc. (I did not order hybrid system) I had the truck for 3 years with only a squeaky console when wife rested her arm on it. It went away on its own and I never took it into dealer for anything (it did have 4 recalls but nothing too big). I changed oil myself but for a totally loaded brand new truck, it was flawless. I only had 14k miles on it but it was great. It did have a dead battery twice but not an ongoing issue. My Powerboost has 2300 miles and 5 months old and it is doing just fine!
Sponsored