OP

ZOSICK

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F 150 Lariat (on order)
That's the important thing to keep in mind when reading forums: a common motive to visit a forum is to research a problem (whether it's with a car an espresso machine or a medical worry.)
The same is true for Tesla or Porsche or any marque. I joined to this forum before ordering a PowerBoost. I joined a RAM forum in 2019 and decided to wait and see if quality improved, but mainly because the RAM "mild hybrid" proved to be nothing more than a better start-stop design.

I think you have to read the complaints in context and read between the lines to decide whether the problems originate with the design of the vehicle or are generic to all F-150s or are problems with Ford (e.g. parts availability) or the dealer (tech skills or incompetence anywhere in their organization.)

I'd say there's zero design flaws with the hybrid components (though some assembly line errors might be occurring, e.g. water-tight connectors) but there's definitely problems with the transmission though the problems seem to be solved with service bulletins and don't result in failure (yes, the shifter is a weak link and poor design, which can't be excused even if the failures are perhaps in the hand of the driver.) In any case, I've not heard of a deal-breaker problem and the statistics of the lemons are not apparently above the average for all F-150s.

I'd generalize to say most PowerBoost problems were real but made (far) worse because the dealer wasn't on the ball or because Ford took weeks and months instead of hours and days to provide either the technical support (diagnostics) or the parts to make repairs.
I agree 100%! I've owned several Corvette's, Mustang's and vehicles in general. I'm member of a few forums and you see some have issue after issue and some (like myself) with zero issues (for the most part). My goal is just to get a sample size of what owners like/dislike. My last two trucks (2018 F 150 XLT and 2020 GMC Sierra) we pretty much trouble free. It seems like the infotainment screens in both of my last trucks have given me issues. On my Ford, it would go black randomly. It started happening when I got past the warranty. My current truck (Sierra) I'm already starting to have issues. The transmission is not as smooth as it was 5K miles ago and the screen goes black every so often. The truck currently has 33,000 miles.

I don't keep my vehicles past their warranties. I looked at a new 2022 Tundra (SR5) and it was a nice truck. It didn't have power seats, but it had a safe lol. What the hell lol. It was 52K! My biggest issue with the other brands is lack of options in mid trim levels. That's one thing I liked about Ford. My XLT had dual power seats. That's a no brainer in my opinion with a truck that's over 40K. My GMC Sierra is the Elevation trim, and it only has a power drivers seat. I also don't care for the 5.3L. I think it's gutless. It tows ok and I gets 17-21 MPG (9-10 towing) on the highway depending on how I drive. If my Sierra had the 6.2, leather, dual power seats, I wouldn't mind it. However, you have to really go up in trim level to get those options. I love the EB 3.5 engine which is why I want another Ford. I drive a lot, so I want something comfortable for my son and I. He needs a power passengers seat so he's not blinded by the son lol. Seems like a small detail but it's important. I told myself that the next truck I get will be a nice one. I almost ordered a Lariat Mid trim but it didn't have a few things I wanted. Ford is weird with their trim/options. I wish every option was available for all trim levels. I'm glad Ford is offering leather in the XLT not. That's a no brainer idea. Some XLT's cost more that Lariat's! I ended up going with a Platinum standard and added a few options. I did want the BAP and I think it's dumb you have to get 4x4 in order to get it. For me, I think I could have saved a lot of money by not getting 4x4 but I hate chrome even more lol. I figure, less options, less issues. I think every brand has issues. How they are corrected is what matters. I appreciate all of the input. I hate to see some on here with issues. I don't think it's right and really shouldn't happen. Say what you want but a company with Millions to invest in R&D shouldn't have little issues. Some may disagree but it's the truth. Regardless of the price point. That being said, things happen and I get it.
Sponsored

Lonewolf

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid
Occupation
Retired from IBM
Hello,
I have a 22 Platinum on order and there's still a window where I can add PB. Can I please get all of your thoughts on the PB. Likes and dislikes. Was it worth it and would you buy it again? Thanks! I see some videos of people loving and some not.
I love it about 20% of my miles is electric

Woodyrson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum
I've had my '21 Platinum PB for right at 2 months and just over 2,000 miles now. Relatively small sample size, but I love everything about the actual PB part of it. It is somehow the fastest, smoothest, and most efficient truck I've ever owned all rolled into a single package. The power this thing has coupled with the efficiency it's capable of seems like it should be impossible in a single vehicle.

The only issue I have, which is not PB related, is an intermittent front camera/radar fault that causes pre-collision and adaptive cruise to be unavailable until I restart the truck. Being a Platinum, yours will have those same systems, so hopefully your luck is better than mine. I haven't had a chance to get to the dealer for service yet, but what I've read here and elsewhere does not give me a ton of confidence that they're going to be able to easily and permanently fix the issue.

LeadBoost

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Structural Steel Sales & Marketing
I'm a month into owning mine. It has been the best month of driving I've ever had. Just over 1000 miles on the odometer, average mpg is 19.8 (aftermarket rims and tires) but I have pushed it to 26mpg around town. Around town I can do over 20% of my miles in electric, but it takes a lot of coasting and a light foot. Not seeing great results on the highway though with the heavier tires. About 20mpg. Winter blend gas though! Something else to consider.

Yeah the MPG's are nice, but holy torque, can this thing jump off the line! It MORE than makes up for the lack of a V8 exhaust note. I'll take a sub 6 second 0-60 over loud pipes any day in an F150. It beats the Raptor right now, only truck faster right now is the Ram TRX. I actually just did it for the first time yesterday. Horrible start, wet roads, cell phone stop watch, spun the tires like crazy and still got 6.8 seconds.

I love how the truck looks. I have a Leadfoot 302A Crew Cab. Spacious cabin, LED Lights, Interior Work Surface, 12" screen. Only thing I want that I don't have is heated steering wheel, Powerfold Tow Mirrors and for the ability for Apple CarPlay to use all 12" of the screen instead of only 8".

I went for the 7.2kw. Homeowner, camper, it made sense for me. Still working on a transfer switch setup.
Ford F-150 PB Issues. IMG_6845

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I did want the BAP and I think it's dumb you have to get 4x4 in order to get it. For me, I think I could have saved a lot of money by not getting 4x4 but I hate chrome even more lol.
What is a "BAP"? Sounds like something to do with exterior trim, but google says it's a "boost a pump" or a "barometric atmospheric pressure" (sensor) … I'm guessing neither of those … : )

Sponsored

LeadBoost

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Structural Steel Sales & Marketing
What is a "BAP"? Sounds like something to do with exterior trim, but google says it's a "boost a pump" or a "barometric atmospheric pressure" (sensor) … I'm guessing neither of those … : )
Black Appearance Package

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I also joined the Ram forum in 2018 when I ordered a fully loaded Ram Rebel as soon as they were available to order. Many threads spoke of problems with the air suspension, the air conditioning system not cold enough, etc, etc. (I did not order hybrid system) I had the truck for 3 years with only a squeaky console when wife rested her arm on it. It went away on its own and I never took it into dealer for anything (it did have 4 recalls but nothing too big). I changed oil myself but for a totally loaded brand new truck, it was flawless. I only had 14k miles on it but it was great. It did have a dead battery twice but not an ongoing issue. My Powerboost has 2300 miles and 5 months old and it is doing just fine!
My main gripe with the new RAM is the "mild hybrid" hemi … no mpg gain. Sounds great, but probably slower than the dinky six pot F-150 Prius. : )
Also, I mostly looked for quality and reliability videos and in the first few months, found too many cases of initial quality problems and the dealer being slow or disinterested in resolving problems. I did like the RAM boxes and some of the cabin design compared to the (then) F-150, but this new F-150 cabin is ahead of the RAM. A few weeks of reading forums combined with never having bought a RAM before put me into procrastination mode for a year, then Ford ever so quietly said "oh, btw way, here's a total game-changer…" : )

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
BAP

It's a way to get a Platinum without those dang chrome door handles, mirror caps, and window trim.
I LOVE everything about my Platinum Powerboost except that dang jewelry. Lol

I have a KingRanch two tone on order just to get rid of the jewelry AND to have what I believe are far better looking wheels.

Yea, first world complaints. ?

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
It's a way to get a Platinum without those dang chrome door handles, mirror caps, and window trim.
I LOVE everything about my Platinum Powerboost except that dang jewelry. Lol

I have a KingRanch two tone on order just to get rid of the jewelry AND to have what I believe are far better looking wheels.

Yea, first world complaints. ?
I did try to get out of the chrome "bright work" (as it used to be called when it was chrome, not plastic) but no option back then on the Platinum (which also has a giant chrome tailgate placard just in case someone ten cars behind you in traffic might miss noticing you were silly enough to pay that kind of money for a pickup … : )
I don't even notice all the shiny any more, but if Ford offered a dimmed down tailgate cover, I'd be sorely tempted. I enjoy seeing this truck every time, but if I'm walking up to it looking at that tailgate, it is a bit of a cringe "oh geez…"

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If I chose to keep it, I'd planned to wrap or paint or whatever that huge placard.
But like you said, I still look at it every day and it's a handsome truck regardless.

I might be blaming the jewelry and stuff for an excuse just to return to the KingRanch because I've been a KingRancher for a long time.

Sponsored

rca

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I had an issue with my PB after about 3K miles, if I remember correctly. The electric motor had an issue and was throwing crazy codes and needed to be replaced. Really happened mostly if I put my foot down hard. Dealer diagnosed it right away and ordered the part. The only issue was availability. Took 6 weeks to get the part in. Truck was driveable the entire time, so no issues there.

First time the part came in it was the right box, but the wrong part. Reordered and it took 3 months to get the part in. Meanwhile I’m still driving the truck. When the part came in it took a couple of days to get fixed. It’s been solid since then and I just rolled over 14K miles.

Would I still buy the PB? Hell yes, maybe my favorite truck I’ve ever owned and I’m old. Tows my boat great and rides great. I’ve got the 2.4Kw generator only because I bought what was available on the lot in a time of need.

The only complaint I have is with the XM radio loosing channels and that’s not PB specific.

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Lawyer
10k miles on my Powerboost. 1.5k towing a travel trailer. Problem free. I use mine as a daily driver, road trips and camping. This is by far the best and most versatile vehicle I’ve ever owned. The electric driving, eco idle, power for the trailer, increased performance all make the Powerboost ideal for my use. I would definitely recommend the Powerboost for anyone who uses their truck like I do.
Sponsored