First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 4WD 301A 3.5L w/ HDPP
Occupation
retired
I tried to buy an XLT HDPP last year but failed because Ford cut too many options. I could no longer justify buying a new vehicle, compared to the 2016 500A EB MaxTow I already have.

I'm now considering a PB but the only reason I own a truck at all is to tow my ~7K# travel trailer with ~1K# tongue weight. I don't want a SuperDuty, so I have to maximize the payload on whatever F150 I buy. (Let's not derail this with a 1/2 ton/SuperDuty debate.)

I'm researching whether a PB can be outfitted to meet my needs. My requirements are:

1. tow mirrors, with a strong preference for electric folding, i.e., Lariat.
2. tailgate step (a hard requirement)
3. bucket seats w/ console
4. Co-pilot 2.0 Assist preferred but not required
5. 4WD desirable but not a hard requirement and, in a PB, may be too costly in terms of weight.

Can someone tell me what the payload would be on a base (501A?) Lariat with the 1st 3 options? How much would the latter 2 detract from the payload capacity?

Edit: would there be any advantage to an XLT high with the same requirements? It would have to be a big advantage because you can't get electric-folding tow mirrors in an XLT. I'd have to buy manual-fold mirrors, then upgrade them myself, a costly and laborious task.

Edit 2: Nav is a strong preference, because it now supports trailer routing.
Sponsored

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
I have a '21 501A PB with your 1, 3, 4, 5, and Edit2 options (not item 2). Folding tonneau, spray-in bed liner, Max Tow, and FX4. All stock, nothing added.

My payload sticker is 1438 lbs.

I pull a 5Klb 21' travel trailer with ~ 550lb on the tongue, and everything is dead level going down the road.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
You have to be VERY diligent to get a 4WD and tailgate step to be north of 1500# of Cargo Capacity.

In Lariat trim especially.

@Atlee has did a fantastic job of balancing Payload and comfort, in my opinion.

He was VERY granular in his custom build. Specifically for towing his RV. I believe he got better than 1600#

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
4x4 is most costly at 290# off payload.
I could never find tailgate weight, usually bundled with bed utility and estimated 60-90#. I don’t know if there is a step option without the electric tailgate.
I avoided step as it cannot be used with trailer attached. There are aftermarket steps at the back corner.
My 2WD King Ranch 1787# sticker, but on CAT scale 1850#- so around 1800#.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4x4 is most costly at 290# off payload.
I could never find tailgate weight, usually bundled with bed utility and estimated 60-90#. I don’t know if there is a step option without the electric tailgate.
I avoided step as it cannot be used with trailer attached. There are aftermarket steps at the back corner.
My 2WD King Ranch 1787# sticker, but on CAT scale 1850#- so around 1800#.
Yea, the tailgate step is part of a bed package which taxes the Payload for something near 60lbs? (might be 45 lbs. It's in a document somewhere)

1787 with a KingRanch is amazing!
Good job.

Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
This would have been easier in '21 than it is now. Options were a little more specific than they are now. I think you could get the step without a power tailgate and save 50+ lbs, but now you can't, and you get other things added in with it too. You should be able to get 1,600+ lbs of if your careful.

As a reference, I have a '21 502A, 4WD, Power Tailgate w/step, Tow Tech, Work Surface, Rear Storage, and BlueCruise and I'm at 1,590 lbs payload. Actual payload is lower now as I added things after the fact, but it can be done.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
You have to be VERY diligent to get a 4WD and tailgate step to be north of 1500# of Cargo Capacity.

In Lariat trim especially.

@Atlee has did a fantastic job of balancing Payload and comfort, in my opinion.

He was VERY granular in his custom build. Specifically for towing his RV. I believe he got better than 1600#
Yep. 1645#. Not getting 4x2 certainly cpst me some pounds, but not getting 4x4 was a no go.

WRT tailgates, I stayed away from power tailgates and tailgates with steps. Every pound saved was a good thing.

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 4WD 301A 3.5L w/ HDPP
Occupation
retired
Yep. 1645#. Not getting 4x2 certainly cpst me some pounds, but not getting 4x4 was a no go.

WRT tailgates, I stayed away from power tailgates and tailgates with steps. Every pound saved was a good thing.
4x4 is highly desirable for me but, as I don't have it now, I obviously can live without it. I don't travel in snow or ice and rarely am off a graded surface.

I never considered a tailgate step when shopping for the truck I have now. I found a unicorn (for Florida) MaxTow with electric folding tow mirrors on a lot, and it was on it. Now that I've used it, I'll never be without one, especially considing that I'll own my next truck (if there is a next truck) well into my '70s. As it can't be added as an aftermarket, I need it to be on the truck when I buy it. I don't need the electric options but I don't think that's a choice.

The payload label on my '16 145" WB 500A says 1736#, and that's with running boards, factory spray-in liner, a manual tailgate step, and tow mirrors. To that I added a Bakflip folding tonneau cover, which is heavy. Fully loaded with a generator and bikes in the bed and a Propride (heavy) hitch, I'm at but within the #6800 GVWR and the axle specs.

With a PB I won't need to carry my Honda generator, but it plus gas can't exceed 60#, so that doesn't fully compensate for the reduction in PB payload.

Lariat trim is the only way to get electric folding tow mirrors. That's a hard requirement to own but can be added if I get the manual tow mirrors. That would be expensive and laborious, and I don't know which of the other Lariat features I would regret not having. Nav and a larger screen is only in Lariat, right?

Does the 157" WB add or detract from payload?

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My '21 302a XLT has both of those.
Today's 302A is very much yesterday's Lariat with cloth. It's a very well equipped truck. Even LED headlights. Finally!

Of course MSRP of a 302A is very much yesteryear Lariat too. Lol

I think a carefully appointed 302A Powerboost with Katzkinz leather could achieve a great Payload Capacity and still be a luxury yacht.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I have the bed step and haven't used it once. It, combined with factory spray-in liner were ~110lbs of payload. The assist 2.0 and 360 cams are worth every pound. Max tow is worthless on the powerboost, you run out of payload before hitting limits (while reducing payload).

I laugh at the suggestion of any trailer being 'too much' for the PB vs any other F150. The base weight of a 4x PB is 5500lbs before options (also comes w/ 3.73s), and the only version with a stronger frame is the raptor. The PB's additional mass is ~ 18" off the ground -- It's a very solid platform with the most gimped GVWR vs the components on the truck.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I think a carefully appointed 302A Powerboost with Katzkinz leather could achieve a great Payload Capacity and still be a luxury yacht.
I bought lariat take-off leather for $200
The 4a xfer case upgrade cost about $1200 all in.
The PB comes with a lot of features for the $ -- the easiest 'engine' option there is.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Today's 302A is very much yesterday's Lariat with cloth. It's a very well equipped truck. Even LED headlights. Finally!

Of course MSRP of a 302A is very much yesteryear Lariat too. Lol

I think these would look great in mine :)

Ford F-150 Maximize payload of PB? 1679081298305

Ford F-150 Maximize payload of PB? 1679081327482
Sponsored