First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 with 2kw PPoB
Occupation
Technical trainer
Definitely seems like shear. Looking at the bolt I’m guessing it was compromised at the install and then corrosion and operational vibration finished it off. This would explain why it was not seen on the assembly line.

However I know how their assembly line works. I guarantee that Ford has the installation torques documented for these axle nuts with their DC tools for ever truck manufactured. So it will nust be a matter of reviewing th

I suspect their was an error in the torque call out for their standard work and they didn’t adjust it until later on. However, I don’t know why this wasn’t caught with the initial 2021 model builds. This means that there are now thousands of impact trucks out there.

Wouldn’t want to be the engineer responsible for that oops.
Does anyone know what rough production dates this issue concerns? We tow regularly with our 2022
Sponsored

Reactions: 780
OP
OP
Ries

Ries

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat Supercrew 5L
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer & Category Buyer
If it was an over torque situation it would be a tensile break, not a sheer break.
I was initially thinking that it was a preload/setting issue and then the operational forces caused a shear failure.

However, looking at the bolt again in further detail it is not a shear failure. I’m now thinking this is something to do with an interaction tire slipping and shock loading on the axle, caused the fatigue fracture failure on the bolt.

I have been driving a lot in the “slippery” drive mode because of the snow and ice this winter. I’ll be curious if this played a roll in the failure with how their programming handles power transfer.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
...miles when failure occurred is never exactly known
Ford F-150 Looks like another axle bolt shear… 505ECFC6-0CBE-41BA-9175-8386EB35C286

Been driving around with the center caps removed and check every time I get in and out of the truck.

Knowing within 1-12 miles of when/if the bolt breaks isn’t really going to help much other than knowing that just replacing the bolt shouldn’t be an issue.

Sponsored

MikeyDog

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT500 F150
Would it make sense to replace the 10.9 bolt with a harder 12.9 bolt?

Farmerj

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2020 (2023)
I’m thinking that the center of the washer needs to be opened up so it’s not tight on the bolt threads

HeadBanger

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 5.0
From the post listing the chart above, it's stated that these are all trucks with the Max Tow option. Is that the case? I have the tow package, but not the max tow.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
From the post listing the chart above, it's stated that these are all trucks with the Max Tow option. Is that the case? I have the tow package, but not the max tow.
ONLY Max Tow package has the 3/4-float axle which is subject to this failure.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ries

Ries

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat Supercrew 5L
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer & Category Buyer
I’m thinking that the center of the washer needs to be opened up so it’s not tight on the bolt threads
I saw that they are using some kind of hardening sealer when assembling it. When I removed the bolt head I actually had to unthread it from the washer. If that sealer wasn’t hardening there should be enough clearance.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
The hole on the washer has a rubberized compound that prevents it from slipping off the bolt and does not come in contact with the bolt shaft. It only contacts the bolt head when it is torqued down.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I saw that they are using some kind of hardening sealer when assembling it.
Please, who is "they" and what / where is this "hardening sealer" you reference?

The Ford Workshop Manual R&R procedure (attached) does not call for any sort of "sealer" in this assembly; the bolt as supplied does have pre-applied thread locking compound.

Attachments

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Please, who is "they" and what / where is this "hardening sealer" you reference?

The Ford Workshop Manual R&R procedure (attached) does not call for any sort of "sealer" in this assembly; the bolt as supplied does have pre-applied thread locking compound.
If this is in reference to the thread locker, the bolts do have pink/red thread locker applied to them.
Ford F-150 Looks like another axle bolt shear… 20221116_093247-
Sponsored