LED projector alignment

LouDog

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ Lariat Powerboost
I feel like both of my lights are angled to the drivers side. In this picture you can see a divot on the light each headlight throws and they are biased to the left. Any way to “straighten” them out?

Ford F-150 LED projector alignment IMG_5632
Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
The lights that move left/right can adjust the height easily but not the left and right. There could be some calibration process in FDRS though? 🤔

OP
OP
LouDog

LouDog

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ Lariat Powerboost
The lights that move left/right can adjust the height easily but not the left and right. There could be some calibration process in FDRS though? 🤔
I tried the calibration in forscan but that didn’t do anything or allow me to manually adjust. I’ll poke around in FDRS next time I have a license.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I do not believe that there's an official horizontal adjustment procedure for the headlights.
You might be able to "shim" them though?

Ford F-150 LED projector alignment 1000021338

OP
OP
LouDog

LouDog

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ Lariat Powerboost
I do not believe that there's an official horizontal adjustment procedure for the headlights.
You might be able to "shim" them though?

1000021338.jpg
Interesting! “Visually optically aligned left” sounds like maybe they are supposed to slightly aim to one side or the other.

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Unless you are getting flashed in traffic they are probably aligned as they should be even if it does look a bit off.

PB2021

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
I believe the VOL or VOR will refer to left hand or right hand drive vehicles as the optical dynamics of the headlights will be reversed for a unit sold say in the UK or other right hand drive market. I would back up and be 25feet or so from a wall to get a better look at your beam pattern but I think you will find they are correctly aligned. The driver side headlight does project the divot somewhat into the oncoming traffic lane to lessen glare to oncoming traffic. European Code (E Code) headlights have employed a version of this for decades but North American SAE code vehicles are only recently catching up and it’s about time.

OP
OP
LouDog

LouDog

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ Lariat Powerboost
I believe the VOL or VOR will refer to left hand or right hand drive vehicles as the optical dynamics of the headlights will be reversed for a unit sold say in the UK or other right hand drive market. I would back up and be 25feet or so from a wall to get a better look at your beam pattern but I think you will find they are correctly aligned. The driver side headlight does project the divot somewhat into the oncoming traffic lane to lessen glare to oncoming traffic. European Code (E Code) headlights have employed a version of this for decades but North American SAE code vehicles are only recently catching up and it’s about time.
That makes sense and I wondered if that was by design. The drivers divot is just about in the middle of the other lane and the passenger divot is just about in the middle of my lane. The “shadows” they create and other lines in the light pattern will just take some getting used to I guess. This is my first time with LED headlights and the light pattern is not as uniform, sounds like by design.

PB2021

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
It is completely by design. Think focused and directed optics versus a largely scattered pattern. Old lighting reflectors sent light upward as much as straight outward, left, right, or down. In worst cases more so. New beam optics focus and redirect the light where it’s needed largely eliminating errant light projecting upward from a low beam that only results in glare in rain, fog and snow events. The result is a brighter beam on the road and below hood line resulting in a ton less glare so you can see better what is illuminated. The high beams are also much improved to increase distance. In my opinion the projector lighting in the 14Gen is the best lighting system I’ve ever had in a vehicle.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I did look this morning since I happened to be facing wall not backing in last night as normal. I see the divots you are focused on but honestly never really paid attention before. These headlights are amazing and being a Canadian truck glare free was enabled without mods. Best lighting I've had in a vehicle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LouDog

LouDog

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ Lariat Powerboost
I did look this morning since I happened to be facing wall not backing in last night as normal. I see the divots you are focused on but honestly never really paid attention before. These headlights are amazing and being a Canadian truck glare free was enabled without mods. Best lighting I've had in a vehicle.
awesome. Do yours seem biased to the drivers side?

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
awesome. Do yours seem biased to the drivers side?
Not really. That is why I posted earlier might be overthinking it if no one is flashing you. I do see the divots towards the left but I think that is by design as mentioned.
Sponsored