Sponsored

LED projector upgrades

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
Yes, as long as you have the HCM as well, and you wire them appropriately, you will get full functionality. You will need LHS ride height sensors for auto level
Great. And is it a pain to add LHS sensors? If so, or expensive, I'll skip it. I don't need auto level, my only thought is that I do tow a travel trailer sometimes and it might be useful in that case?
Sponsored

OP
OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Great. And is it a pain to add LHS sensors? If so, or expensive, I'll skip it. I don't need auto level, my only thought is that I do tow a travel trailer sometimes and it might be useful in that case?
When I did the upgrade it cost me about $200 in parts and about 6 hours of my time. You can certainly live without it though. I don’t wanna say it’s a gimmick, but it has limited usefulness

OleMustyBag

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0, 2015 GMC Acadia, 1963 ChevyNova
Ok this is wild and probably over my head. I did get things kind of working…

I decided to see is this really a coding issue or hardware/wiring issue. I decided to swap #2 and #9 in the C1284 connector. Essentially make the (CTRL MOD, the middle bar) the indicator. And low and behold it works! So I have a indicator but in the wrong spot.

I’ll call it progress and at least I have something that is street legal. Need to keep working on the DRL indicator but feeling like I made progress.

Really appreciate the PDFs from jscaro, w/o those I would be SOL. Awesome community!
I was having the same problem I have a XLT high and I did the swap from quad LED to raptor projector LED and could not get the DRL blinker working. I bought a conversion harness with the HCM from Ryan upstate (harness was very nice) I inputted all the changes from Hawsas sheet I also tried making some additional changes I found related to the raptor as built but with no success. I tried changing out the HCM and the Headlight modules. Nothing worked. I ended up taking the blinker feed wire and splicing it into the DRL wire and used two diodes to keep the signal from back feeding. It works great. Not sure why the forscan changes do not work on some trucks it has me puzzled. Keep the Raptor changes in forscan because it makes the DRL dim and allows the blinker feed to flash the DRL from dim to bright. All the changes and cuts in the harness were made in the aftermarket add on so I did not have to cut the factory harness.

Ford F-150 LED projector upgrades 71709614894__74A746CE-4652-4663-ACBA-38F756437109.fullsizerender

Ford F-150 LED projector upgrades IMG_6931

arlkal03

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Raptor
I was having the same problem I have a XLT high and I did the swap from quad LED to raptor projector LED and could not get the DRL blinker working. I bought a conversion harness with the HCM from Ryan upstate (harness was very nice) I inputted all the changes from Hawsas sheet I also tried making some additional changes I found related to the raptor as built but with no success. I tried changing out the HCM and the Headlight modules. Nothing worked. I ended up taking the blinker feed wire and splicing it into the DRL wire and used two diodes to keep the signal from back feeding. It works great. Not sure why the forscan changes do not work on some trucks it has me puzzled. Keep the Raptor changes in forscan because it makes the DRL dim and allows the blinker feed to flash the DRL from dim to bright. All the changes and cuts in the harness were made in the aftermarket add on so I did not have to cut the factory harness.

71709614894__74A746CE-4652-4663-ACBA-38F756437109.fullsizerender.jpeg

IMG_6931.jpeg
Worked like a charm. Crazy. Thanks for posting!!!

PABamaFan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum FX4 Towing w long bed
Thanks @OleMustyBag that worked like a champ for me too. I now have working DRLs that blink when the turn signal is activated. Did you do anything with your fog lights? I don't care if I keep the factory fog lights at this point because I don't have the time to take the truck apart again lol. The question is can you disable the white LED strip at the bottom of the fog light? Not sure what anyone else did with that or if this is an easy way.

Sponsored

OleMustyBag

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks @OleMustyBag that worked like a champ for me too. I now have working DRLs that blink when the turn signal is activated. Did you do anything with your fog lights? I don't care if I keep the factory fog lights at this point because I don't have the time to take the truck apart again lol. The question is can you disable the white LED strip at the bottom of the fog light? Not sure what anyone else did with that or if this is an easy way.
Glad it is working out for y’all too!
I am still running the while DRL on the fog. I want to get some amber ones from bullseye custom autos. Just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Also I was not sure if they would match on color. Or maybe I will go the diode dynamic's route haven’t decided yet.
You could probably pull the wire for the DRL power out of the plug but I don’t have a pin out on the fog light connector.

https://bullseyecustomautos.com/21-f150-fog-light-amber-drl/

Donjuan2002

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 STX F150
Occupation
DIYer
First of all, this thread is the most helpful to do this LED Projector swap so I’m very thankful to all that have contributed. I went from halogen to LED projector. Everything works except the HCM. Electrically everything is correct as I’m able to communicate with it via forscan. My issue is a software issue I believe. I just installed the HCM and programmed the forscan values. However, I’m getting two main DTCs. U2101 and U2024. Control module configuration incompatible and Control module config data respectively. I bought this HCM (ML3Z-13K198-B)directly from Ford unconfigured. Has anybody figured out how to successfully program it? It seems like it has to somehow be programmed. I’m pretty close to finishing this project and just need help resolving this last issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

OleMustyBag

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First of all, this thread is the most helpful to do this LED Projector swap so I’m very thankful to all that have contributed. I went from halogen to LED projector. Everything works except the HCM. Electrically everything is correct as I’m able to communicate with it via forscan. My issue is a software issue I believe. I just installed the HCM and programmed the forscan values. However, I’m getting two main DTCs. U2101 and U2024. Control module configuration incompatible and Control module config data respectively. I bought this HCM (ML3Z-13K198-B)directly from Ford unconfigured. Has anybody figured out how to successfully program it? It seems like it has to somehow be programmed. I’m pretty close to finishing this project and just need help resolving this last issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You will need a subscription to FDRS and a mongoose cable to program it properly. However if you plug it in to the harness and input the as built values with forscan it will work but will have a soft DTC code for it being un programmed.

Donjuan2002

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 STX F150
Occupation
DIYer
You will need a subscription to FDRS and a mongoose cable to program it properly. However if you plug it in to the harness and input the as built values with forscan it will work but will have a soft DTC code for it being un programmed.
Thanks for confirming. Writing the forscan values to HCM did not allow it to function properly or make any functional change. Have you done this with an unprogrammed module and experience the proper function of the headlight after just updating the forscan values?

JScaro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat 501.5A
Occupation
Beer Drinker
Thanks for confirming. Writing the forscan values to HCM did not allow it to function properly or make any functional change. Have you done this with an unprogrammed module and experience the proper function of the headlight after just updating the forscan values?
Get in touch with @Jesse-Infotainment and he can help program it. He will have to remote in to your laptop but it will be done right.

OleMustyBag

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I did try it with a brand new in the box HCM I ordered from the dealer when I was diagnosing my raptor blinkers. After plugging in the forscan values It worked. However it could be a fluke that mine was already programmed. I agree with
JScaro
Get in touch with @Jesse-Infotainment and he can help program it. He will have to remote in to your laptop but it will be done right.
That way you know it is programmed to work with the other modules in your truck. And you will avoid potential DTCs.
Sponsored